No announcement yet.

WRGPT signups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dude at my table loses a big piece of his stack with pocket kings... only raises $350 pre-flop, flop comes down 7-8-10 rainbow, dude who was in the pot with 89o adds 4k to the pot, then jams on the turn (which was a 2).

So now the dude is probably on tilt and just jammed his remaining $7500. I've got pocket 8s and I'm thinking I'll take a shot, but we'll see what happens when it gets around to me.

Comment

Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
      Oh and to answer your question Bro - If you have both callers to the river and the K hits, then yes you check as it would appear you were trying to buy the hand early on and dont think your weak A is good enough to win.
      Well, here's where we're at we have 7c 10h Ah 2s 2d on the board. So we have no flush or straight draws. The first guy called as I said, and then the next two folded. So now, I'm think if I bet, he's thinking two pair with lower pair than his A in his hand. I'm thinking of check raising to present a full house.

Thoughts?
      "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
      - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
      - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
        Dude at my table loses a big piece of his stack with pocket kings... only raises $350 pre-flop, flop comes down 7-8-10 rainbow, dude who was in the pot with 89o adds 4k to the pot, then jams on the turn (which was a 2).

So now the dude is probably on tilt and just jammed his remaining $7500. I've got pocket 8s and I'm thinking I'll take a shot, but we'll see what happens when it gets around to me.
        How many chips have you got? 88 would be a crazy call for a substantial portion of your stack early in a tourney.

Comment

Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
          Well, here's where we're at we have 7c 10h Ah 2s 2d on the board. So we have no flush or straight draws. The first guy called as I said, and then the next two folded. So now, I'm think if I bet, he's thinking two pair with lower pair than his A in his hand. I'm thinking of check raising to present a full house.

Thoughts?
          My thoughts are ... why are you in this hand, and how did you get yourself into this mess

If your opponent isn't an idiot, he has an Ace or maybe a busted flush draw (80-20). With 4 to the flop, chances are its an Ace you are up against, and if so he's not folding ... that was a great turn and river for a bare ace.

Maybe make a small bet and pray he has a busted flush draw and folds, or give it up. Don't be going mad on the river ... going to be hard to make an Ace fold on that board.

Tip: not a great idea (IOW really bad ) to call from the SB and lead out into 3 people on an Ace high suited and semi-connected flop with nothing but a gutshot. SB play is usually the biggest leak in a poker players game. If you had a flush draw and a gutshot, it might not be so bad ... but with just a gutshot ... you're giving away your chips.
          Last edited by johnnya24; 11-01-2012, 04:06 PM.

Comment

If you want to win this pot, you have to bet it. Here is your problem. With the pair of 2's on the board, if you bet and he has a strong A you will get called. If you check, it is more likely that the pair has shut his action down and he checks or bets hoping to push you off what could be your weak A..... At any rate, I cant see you checking here because - if he bets you cant call. If he checks he has you beat.

So the question is what do you think is the correct bet to represent you have this hand locked up.....

OH, and I dont like the idea of Check Raise, because his calls indicate he has enough to keep playing with you.
            It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
            Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
              Tip: not a great idea (IOW really bad ) to call from the SB and lead out into 3 people on an Ace high suited and semi-connected flop with nothing but a gutshot. SB play is usually the biggest leak in a poker players game. If you had a flush draw and a gutshot, it might not be so bad ... but with just a gutshot ... you're giving away your chips.

This is really what I was thinking too. I give my brother credit for trying to take the lead on this hand and leading out, but I am a fairly tight player and would likely have checked the flop and seen where that got me. At this point, you either run the bluff hoping that the other guy in has KJ suited and was hoping to hit (like you said). If he had the A, you just donked off 5K in chips.
              It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
                This is really what I was thinking too. I give my brother credit for trying to take the lead on this hand and leading out, but I am a fairly tight player and would likely have checked the flop and seen where that got me. At this point, you either run the bluff hoping that the other guy in has KJ suited and was hoping to hit (like you said). If he had the A, you just donked off 5K in chips.
                Yeah ... I wouldn't make an incremental bet though (1200-->2400-->4800). Maybe 2000/2400 or something around that mark. I don't think an Ace (AA22T minimum) can be forced to fold to a standard raise, but there is a small chance he had a flush draw. Maybe 20% of the time it's a busted flush draw.

Plus there is some value in being seen to run a 3 barrel bluff (assuming anyone is paying attention in a game like this)

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                  How many chips have you got? 88 would be a crazy call for a substantial portion of your stack early in a tourney.
                  I have about 25k... someone else called him and I decided to get out of the way. I was right, though, dude had Q5. Good read (a rarity for me) but still probably did the right thing by staying away.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                    I have about 25k... someone else called him and I decided to get out of the way. I was right, though, dude had Q5. Good read (a rarity for me) but still probably did the right thing by staying away.
                    AK or AQ is a much better call in that spot than 88 ... much higher chance you have a domination hand, and less chance you are in a 50-50 race situation. Someone on tilt is more likely to say F it and shove any Ace, decent K or 2 highish cards. Since that is the largest part of his range, 88 isn't in great shape. Early in a tourney, losing 7.5K is more critical than winning 7.5K ... especially in a high variance spot like this. It's generally best to avoid high variance spots early in tourney's (unless you are a mega-multi-tabler).

Comment

Just picked up a nice pot making $2k when I hit my A on the flop.

Comment

Well, the guy had an ace, and I lost.

Next hand comes and I have pocket 3's. Six players are in and the board shows K-K-7...hoping it gets checked around...
                        "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                        - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                        - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Next hand comes and I have pocket 3's. Six players are in and the board shows K-K-7...hoping it gets checked around...
                          So you can fold quicker?

Comment

Did you bet out and get called or what?
                            I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

A-10 off under the gun. Normal raise (4x the BB so far at my table)?
                              I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

I would raise - Yes.

Comment

Working...
                                X