London Olympics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OaklandA's View Post
    No one in the U.S. needs to use the BBC website. NBC is also streaming every athletic event live and for free at http://www.nbcolympics.com/. (everything except the Opening and Closing ceremonies).
    Isn't it a paid-for service? I also heard the streams were poor and choppy. BBC streams are HQ.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
      Isn't it a paid-for service? I also heard the streams were poor and choppy. BBC streams are HQ.
      Nope, all free, and good quality. NBC also has free apps for phones and iPads that stream every event live.

Comment

womens water polo suits - look for them

actually I am a fan of the brutal game. It is like rugby where your opponent can drown you

Comment

Originally posted by OaklandA's View Post
          Nope, all free, and good quality. NBC also has free apps for phones and iPads that stream every event live.
          This is the more like the reaction my feeds have been bombarded with: http://www.sbnation.com/london-olymp...-shaky-weekend

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
            I can't wait to watch the track and field events. As a former track athlete, watching it on TV really brings me back to my days of competition. I can't even imagine how tough it would be to try and high jump with thousands of people watching, though.
            Pretend their naked?

Comment

What events did you do? I used to do the short sprints ... had bags of raw speed, but no endurance. The macho sports teachers used to get very annoyed every year when their "athletes" came in a distant second in the sprint (60-80m ... don't think it was ever a full 100m). Was hopeless at the field events ... anything that involved upper body strength was beyond me. I reckon I probably would have enjoyed the Triple Jump, but that would have involved interacting with the teachers ... not that they had a clue anyway.

Comment

When I started learning to high jump, Fosbury had not won in Mexico. We were still jumping into sawdust pits, so a flop would have been suicide.

(The guys here who have met me, like Bhob, Byron, RC, etc., probably wouldn't believe I was ever a high jumper, but this was not long after the Depression.)

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                  Well I got a track (and soccer) scholarship to college to compete in the high jump and long jump. I wasn't quite good enough at either for college level competition. Back in high school I ran the 200 and 400 and did high/long jump. I dabbled in triple jump and even did pole vault for a little while. I vaulted 14', which I thought was pretty cool (but sucks overall). I high jumped 6'9", which is 6" taller than I am. I never got much past that mark that I achieved in high school, though. In college everyone jumps 7' or more.
                  That's pretty awesome. The very existence of scholarships like this must also be a huge incentive for participation. Instant reward for achievement. We could only dream of having a system like that ... the organisation of sport in US schools and colleges is lifetimes ahead of us.

The two girls who won our first Gold today are an example of this ... one is a soldier funded by the Army, and the other is a girl who was watching the Beijing Olympics and became inspired to enroll for a program looking for "athletic girls of a certain height to try out for rowing, handball and cycling" ... 4 years later she is a Gold medalist.

The Olympic gold medal won by Team GB's Helen Glover and Heather Stanning confirms the impact they have made in their short time in the sport

It's a great human interest story, but also a sad indictment of our school system which does NOTHING to identify talent. We could never identify and produce a young talent like Missy Franklyn or a Michael Phelps ... and even if they did manage to find their way into a private club, they will never achieve their full potential. It has taken private bodies and lottery funding to turn around our Olympic sports ... the system is a disaster ... I laughed at the opening ceremony when Jacques Rogge praised the UK school system as the first in history to include sport in the curriculum ... this was of course private schools in the 19th century ... now it is a disgrace.

Comment

"I dabbled in triple jump and even did pole vault for a little while. I vaulted 14', which I thought was pretty cool (but sucks overall)."

My nephew, who was a good athlete in HS (main sport was varsity soccer, made it as soph), did no better than 13 feet - and that was a lot better than most, it seemed. Pole vault is very tough to master, especially in high school, due to upper body strength and leg strength needed, it seemed. 14 feet is a good number.
                    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                      "I dabbled in triple jump and even did pole vault for a little while. I vaulted 14', which I thought was pretty cool (but sucks overall)."

My nephew, who was a good athlete in HS (main sport was varsity soccer, made it as soph), did no better than 13 feet - and that was a lot better than most, it seemed. Pole vault is very tough to master, especially in high school, due to upper body strength and leg strength needed, it seemed. 14 feet is a good number.
                      Pole Vault in High School LOL ... we were lucky we have a rancid old sand pit full of cat sh!t.

Comment

• Not exactly on a field of velvet - theirs was the only high school in the county with a respectable coach who knew the pole vault at all, and he grabbed up several athletes from different sports and did enough to get them a county-best, team-wise. I heard no Olympic music in the background of that school, lol

My high school didn't have (American) football, and no soccer either til I was a freshman. And no band.
                        My university didn't have football (or a band), either.

Kind of narrowed the pecking order - neither extreme jocks nor extreme dorks had official outlets.
                        #heynow
                        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                          Yeah, I was good at pole vault but there was another guy on my team who was better and I was already doing well in several other events. Gimmicks, if you will.
                          They should have a quadrathalon, a septathalon, and a decathalon

Comment

• Here's me bitching about sport in schools, and the next day ...

Lord Moynihan has said it is 'wholly unacceptable' that half of Team GB's gold medallists in Beijing four years ago were privately educated

"It's one of the worst statistics in British sport," said Moynihan. "It is wholly unacceptable that over 50% of our medallists in Beijing came from the private sector. It tells you that 50% of the medals came from seven per cent of the population.
                            Won't make any difference though ... we sold a huge % of our school playing fields to developers over the years.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                              Here's me bitching about sport in schools, and the next day ...

Lord Moynihan has said it is 'wholly unacceptable' that half of Team GB's gold medallists in Beijing four years ago were privately educated

Won't make any difference though ... we sold a huge % of our school playing fields to developers over the years.
                              It would seem we've got the opposite problem here -- too much emphasis on and resources dedicated to sports in our public universities.

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                                It would seem we've got the opposite problem here -- too much emphasis on and resources dedicated to sports in our public universities.
                                I'm surprised you are posting today. I would have thought the badminton controversy would have had you in bed all day with the covers over your head.

Comment

Working...
                                X