No announcement yet.

London Olympics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advertisers pay NBC much more to do it this way, because the audience skews older and doesn't get into livestreaming or Twitter or whatever. They live somewhat off the electronic grid all day, outside of Facebook or favorite websites, and most don't know who won the taped events and don't mind waiting.

From a corporate standpoint, apparently NBC would be passing up a huge chunk of change if it showed events live, whether or not they also offered a taped version later. Or so I'm told.
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
      You missed the best part ... although I agree on the lanterns and the torch ... that was inspired.

I'm going to watch it again tomorrow ... lots hidden messages and wonderful touches ... I hope I can find a version without any commentary. The UK commentators by and large kept their mouths shut, but occasionally they would chime in with some irrelevant chatter, probably to justify their job. Apparently the US commentators wouldn't shut up.

Most people absolutely loved it, but the few conservatives who were brave enough to speak out against the tide weren't impressed (they were immediately put in line by the Party whip) ... where were the castles? the jousting knights? the military bands? the upper classes? the Kings and Queens? the British Empire? ... all virtually ignored. They even chucked the Queen out of a Helicopter ... the symbolism being lost in the humor of the moment. Even when things tried to get formal, like when the orchestra started to play Chariots of Fire, Mr Bean turns up to ruin it. Even the movies they used to symbolize modern British culture: Mike Leigh and Ken Loach ... not Lawrence Oliver and David Niven.

Danny Boyle (a Scotsman) charted the advances in British history through the people, not the elite: rural workers --> Industrialists / new money / miners and steel workers --> 20th century music & film and modern youth.

Obviously the opening sequence when the whole scene moved from the rural setting to the scarred industrial landscape was inspired, especially the way they forged the rings ... but for me the two stand out segments were the NHS / Children literature homage, and the London 7/7 tribute (the 7/7 bombings happened the day after London won the games).

I just smiled all the way through the NHS sequence ... the very heart of the biggest global ceremony dedicated to universal health care! Bizarre and brilliant ... and most the performers were NHS employees. At a time when the Tory's are trying to privatize off peripheral parts of our NHS, that was a huge FU to David Cameron. Combining this with a tribute to Great Ormond Street Children's Hospital, and then Children's literature was a great move ... loved every odd surreal moment of this.

The 7/7 tribute was so poignant, and absolutely spot on. No flag waving or militarism, no vengeance or hatred. Instead of fear and escalation, he created a beautiful segment that emphasized peace and reconciliation.

2 criticisms:

1. Why wasn't Brian Blessed riding one of those angel / dove bicycles? That would have been the icing on the cake.

2. Fking Paul McCartney. God damn this fking guy and Hey fking Jude. He ruined the end for me ... why does every national event have to end with Macca singing Hey Jude ... he's not even a Londoner. They should have got Adele, Muse or Radiohead to close the ceremony ... or if you want someone classical, David Bowie would have been a perfect fit for that ceremony ... dressed as Ziggy Stardust. Or Pink Floyd. Bowie and Adele are both Londoner's.

Anyway ... absolutely bonkers and brilliant ... was one of the best things I've ever seen. Totally didn't expect that. I don't expect the second viewing to be half as good with all the surprise gone, we'll see.
      Excellent commentary. I went back and watched what I had recorded, and paid special attention to these points. I think GB did themselves proud, and found an excellent way to follow up the great ceremony of 2008.

By the way, why do people in the UK call Paul McCartney "Macca". I never got that. And calling Michael Jackson "Jocko". What's the deal there?

Comment

Fly, my Hawkmen! Fly!

Comment

I think NBC is time shifting the coverage to put as much as possible of it in prime time. Doesn't make much sense on the weekends, but probably lets more working folk see the events.

Perhaps there are too many swimming events, but at least the competitors aren't professionals. A lot of you will remember in the old days when the Olympics was all about amateur competition. Fortunately, there are a limited number of events featuring pros.

Someone help me here...didn't the impetus for having pros come about when the USSR had a group of massive thugs who mugged our basketball team constantly with no fouls ever being called?

I have to admit I was one of the crowd calling for Doctor Who (or maybe a couple of Doctors Who) to come to the rescue.

Comment

Originally posted by JudeBaldo View Post
            I wish I knew just what hell happened in cycling. Stirring though.
            Unlike johnny, I thought it was awesome. Once I realized the Germans, Aussies, and Ukrainians basically hung Britain out to dry (and the US team laughed at them since they put their target winner in the front), it became pretty clear to me the large breakaway was going to hold out. Once Cancellara went down, my son looked at me and said - "Vino goes at 5k. Do you think he can hold them off?" I didn't think so, as I was figuring the Spanish Armada was going to launch either LL Sanchez or Valverde, but they were tapped once the final move was made.

Danged if he didn't pull it off.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

It was a great race ... the crowds were amazing ... 6/7 deep almost all the whole way.

German's hung themselves out to dry ... they had no-one in the front group and gambled on Team GB pulling back the leading group so they had fresh legs to lead out Greipel.

Think Vino went with about 2/3K to go no? I was really surprised they let him go so easily ... all that effort to keep the pelaton at bay, and they let 2 riders dance off without a fight. There was a gold medal up for grabs!

Never been a huge fan of Vino ... he's one of the unrepentant dopers ... he believes he did nothing wrong. He served his time, so he has as much right as anyone to ride ... doesn't mean I have to like him.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                Excellent commentary. I went back and watched what I had recorded, and paid special attention to these points. I think GB did themselves proud, and found an excellent way to follow up the great ceremony of 2008.

By the way, why do people in the UK call Paul McCartney "Macca". I never got that. And calling Michael Jackson "Jocko". What's the deal there?
                Macca is a nickname that can be given to anyone with a Mc or a Mac in their name. Michael Jackson was known as "Jacko", or "Wacko Jacko" to give him his full title. I suppose they make for better tabloid headlines

British school nickname thing ... stick a "y", "o" or "a" onto the end of someone's abbreviated surname. Aussies do it as well.
                Last edited by johnnya24; 07-28-2012, 09:52 PM.

Comment

The 7/7 tribute was so poignant, and absolutely spot on. No flag waving or militarism, no vengeance or hatred. Instead of fear and escalation, he created a beautiful segment that emphasized peace and reconciliation.
                  OK so apparently NBC cut the 7/7 tribute sequence in order to show an interview with Michael Phelps. I guess they got a heads up that it wasn't a the kind of message they want to send out ... why would they cut that out? Do you reckon they were told to cut it?

I can't find a clip of that segment ... I'll post it when I find it.

I did find Frank Turner's warm up track (sheep @ 1:10):

Last edited by johnnya24; 07-28-2012, 10:00 PM.

Comment

OK so apparently NBC cut the 7/7 tribute sequence in order to show an interview with Michael Phelps. I guess they got a heads up that it wasn't a the kind of message they want to send out ... why would they cut that out? Do you reckon they were told to cut it?

I can't find a clip of that segment ... I'll post it when I find it.
                    Found it (clip embedded in external site).

7/7 Tribute from the Opening Ceremony (cut out by NBC)

That was as amazing as I remember.
                    Last edited by johnnya24; 07-28-2012, 10:11 PM.

Comment

McCartney was a no brainier. Arguably the best known englander of the last century. Anyone else would have been ridiculous.
                      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                        McCartney was a no brainier. Arguably the best known englander of the last century. Anyone else would have been ridiculous.
                        For American viewers maybe ... we're sick of him being wheeled out at every major event. You can have him. Maybe it's unfair to blame Macca ... they ask, he agrees. Good on him I suppose. But he should start saying no. People are getting sick of him and Hey Jude.

Comment

It was a great race ... the crowds were amazing ... 6/7 deep almost all the whole way.

German's hung themselves out to dry ... they had no-one in the front group and gambled on Team GB pulling back the leading group so they had fresh legs to lead out Greipel.
                          Same for the other teams with quality sprinters in the back, especially the Aussies. At least the Germans sent one guy up to help some of the time, the Aussies didn't lift a pedal.

Think Vino went with about 2/3K to go no?
                          Between 3-4k, I think, Uran took off. It was a beast of an acceleration that late - only Vino could hold his wheel. They worked well together until the final run.

Never been a huge fan of Vino ... he's one of the unrepentant dopers
                          Understand that. I've always liked his attacking style.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                            Same for the other teams with quality sprinters in the back, especially the Aussies. At least the Germans sent one guy up to help some of the time, the Aussies didn't lift a pedal.
                            Stuart O'Grady was up the road no? Pretty sure he was in the front group. Plus the Aussies aren't going to burn themselves out before the team time trial etc. I wonder what damage Wiggins did for his Ind Time Trial chances ... he was still leading the chase 5K out because he didn't know how far away the leaders were. It was a total mess as far as organisation was concerned.

Comment

For American viewers maybe ... we're sick of him being wheeled out at every major event. You can have him. Maybe it's unfair to blame Macca ... they ask, he agrees. Good on him I suppose. But he should start saying no. People are getting sick of him and Hey Jude.

I can understand your view here. But it may not have been for American viewers. I would imagine that viewers and Olympians from around the world are at least somewhat familiar with The Beatles, as opposed to the excellent artists you mentioned.

It did make me think, though, how so many of my favorite musicians are from the UK.

Comment

Stuart O'Grady was up the road no?
                                Yes, but they couldn't have realistically thought Stewie was going to win in that group. Short of McEwen, there's not a sprinter I liked more than O'Grady, but he's just not a top sprinter anymore.

Good point about Wiggins; I suspect they couldn't believe after closing the gap to a minute that they couldn't squeeze out the last minute in the last few K.

Comment

Working...
                                X