No announcement yet.

London Olympics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For men's volleyball, if you lose in the round of 16 are you eliminated?

Comment

• Neil Best ‏@sportswatch

Top five markets for Olympics ratings so far: Salt Lake City, Milwaukee, Kansas City, Denver, Columbus
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
        Neil Best ‏@sportswatch

Top five markets for Olympics ratings so far: Salt Lake City, Milwaukee, Kansas City, Denver, Columbus
        it's not like anybody in denver is watching baseball at this point :grumblegrumble:
        ~ all in all is all we are ~

kc

Comment

• nice story

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

I don't get it ... his B-mom abandons her son in an orphanage, and this is a good thing? Since when did orphanages and foster homes become a gateway to success? I can understand his pride and reconnecting with his b-mom, and her joy in his achievement ... but this part of the article makes little sense to me:

But he also hopes the outcome has other benefits, too. Hoffa has used his success as an athlete to tell his story in hopes it will encourage other prospective parents to do what his B-Mom did.

“We want to do great things,” he said. “We just need a home to do that in. I’m definitely a testament to that.”
            Did the journalist take some licence here? Sounds to me that Hoffa got very lucky to find such good adoptive parents ... maybe he meant that people in certain really bad economic/living situations should be more willing to put newborns or very young children up for adoption if they don't have the means to look after them? I don't imagine 5 year old's are as easy to adopt out as babies and infants ... especially 5 year olds who have been abandoned by their parents.

There's something pretty sick at the heart of these statements: suggesting that a mother should consider putting her child up for adoption, rather than questioning a system that forces a mother to give up a child.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
              Why aren't Americans better at shooting?
              Most of the best shooters are getting killed in gun fights out in the West. I blame Gene Hackman.
              Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• USA totally owning the pool. Barely any other country putting up a concerted challenge ... and so many 15/16 year old kids breaking world records.

The home of Paris Olympics on BBC Sport online. Includes the latest news stories, results, fixtures, video and audio.

Huge inquest in Australia ... the Aussie team is getting hammered in their press. USA crushed them in the pool, and GB crushing them in the velodrome. They are 19th in the table, just 1 gold, and their major Olympic sport (swimming) nearly complete, and the cycling is looking ominous with GB cleaning up ... even their rowers came up dry ... this could be their "Atlanta" moment.

Comment

• "I don't get it."

fair point. I didn't give it a critical read, and probably should have.
                  interesting article regardless, but "nice" is a value judgment, and I really didn't put in the effort to say that - or not say that.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                    Most of the best shooters are getting killed in gun fights out in the West. I blame Gene Hackman.
                    We have fencing ... why not gunfights? Cowboy boots & Kevlar. Would be a ratings winner.

The Quick Draw
                    The French Duel
                    The Pursuit

Comment

I was expecting to look like a guido lol.

Comment

• Best day of sport ever ... remarkable.

Comment

• One of the signature events, the 100 meter dash, and NBC still hasn't shown the final and it is 10:45pm. What are they waiting for? Everyone to be in bed? Idiots.
                          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• 9:45 Central
                            8:45 Mountain
                            7:45 Pacific

NBC wants you to tough it out - and if you don't, someone else will. The tape-delayed events are getting strong ratings...

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

9:45 Central
                              8:45 Mountain
                              7:45 Pacific

NBC wants you to tough it out - and if you don't, someone else will. The tape-delayed events are getting strong ratings...
                              Oh I did. You don't miss Bolt bay bee! Arguably the greatest Olympian ever. He crushes other awesome sprinters. He's easily beating the fastest sprinters of all time.
                              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Did anyone see the bottle someone threw onto the track before the gun? Some drunken guy was apparently pacing around waiting to ruin the final, then got "beaten" by the Edith Bosch Judo bronze medalist

A man is arrested after a bottle was thrown on to the track at the start of the men's 100m final in the Olympic Stadium.

Comment

Working...
                                X