House and Senate 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
    To the contrary. They will spend two years sending less money. People give Clinton credit for the balanced budget.In fact, that credit should go to Congress, in so far as any one in Washington deserves it.

J

You have a really narrow vision of what's good for the country. But it's not like that's news.
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

As the president has noted, that's what elections are for. We'll see how it plays. I'm not happy with Ryan's budget since he doesn't come close to cutting enough - we need some stark defense cuts and Homeland (In)security cuts as well.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Today's Boston Globe shows Scott Brown and Elizabeth Warren in a statistical tie in their US Senate race. Lot of interesting dynamics in this race--maybe the most interesting Senate race this year.

Comment

That one is going to be close-- as many have said it's a shame they're opposing each other as both would make fine Senators. I suspect that Warren edges Brown out, but that won't mean we've seen the end of Brown-- potential Governor of MA and perhaps even a future presidential candidate. He's a bit like Chris Christie but without the idiotic theatrics and the extra 200 pounds.
          "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post
            That one is going to be close-- as many have said it's a shame they're opposing each other as both would make fine Senators. I suspect that Warren edges Brown out, but that won't mean we've seen the end of Brown-- potential Governor of MA and perhaps even a future presidential candidate. He's a bit like Chris Christie but without the idiotic theatrics and the extra 200 pounds.
            You would prefer Christie at 125 pounds. That's twisted.

J
            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
              You would prefer Christie at 125 pounds. That's twisted.
              Chris Christie weighs 325 the way Grady Jackson used to weigh 350. As my Brit friends would say, that's correct, give or take a couple of stone.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                Chris Christie weighs 325 the way Grady Jackson used to weigh 350. As my Brit friends would say, that's correct, give or take a couple of stone.
                OK. Even 150 is a weird. I guess 11 stone sounds better.

J
                Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post
                  Well, given you said Coakley was going to be my Senator for the next 3 decades, you'll forgive me if I remain skeptical on this one.
                  Massachusetts has not been very friendly for female candidates and Warren isn't popular with the pro-business folks (car czar Steve Rattner won't endorse her). Both candidates are very popular (Brown is +25 favorable/unfavorable while Warren is +24) within the state but I think Brown will win a very narrow victory.
                  I'd much rather have either one of them than John Kerry FWIW.

Comment

Any thoughts on Hatch being primaried in Utah? I've always thought Hatch is a reasonable conservative. Kennedy could deal with him so I took that as a good sign. The thought he is somehow too liberal for Utah frightens me. If the Tea party guy wins, I think its another step back for the GOP.
                    Nevada and Delaware had the good sense not to elect their crazy Tea Party folks--I'm not sure Utah will show the same good judgement.

Comment

Originally posted by nots View Post
                      Any thoughts on Hatch being primaried in Utah? I've always thought Hatch is a reasonable conservative. Kennedy could deal with him so I took that as a good sign. The thought he is somehow too liberal for Utah frightens me. If the Tea party guy wins, I think its another step back for the GOP.
                      Nevada and Delaware had the good sense not to elect their crazy Tea Party folks--I'm not sure Utah will show the same good judgement.
                      hatch will win. i'll be in utah this weekend and can ask my (very political and right-wing) family, but i can tell you that hatch will win.
                      "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Originally posted by bryanbutler View Post
                        hatch will win. i'll be in utah this weekend and can ask my (very political and right-wing) family, but i can tell you that hatch will win.
                        That's what Bill Bennett thought, too....of course, I didn't think Mike Lee was some "crazy Tea Party folks", either.

Comment

This is why I hated the deal when it was made because they had their fingers crossed behind their backs the entire time

Comment

Dick Lugar loses primary in Indiana today to a more conservative Republican, which kicks off either the renaissance or ruination of the party nationwide, depending on what channel you're watching....
                            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

The Crystal Ball has a new article out on the changes in Congress. Both house are running against earlier expectations: The House to Red, the Senate to Blue.

Some analysts have been making the case that 2012 is going to turn decisively one way or the other — perhaps evolving into a 2008-style margin for Democrats or Republicans. Maybe they are right, but every objective piece of evidence so far suggests that this election will be quite close and highly competitive for the […]

J
                              Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                                A Michigan Representative wants to create a federal commission to verify the country of birth of the President. He insists that it has nothing to do with President Obama. I'm going to guess that he campaigns as a small government candidate, too. Any guesses which party this genius belongs to?
                                The Grand Old Racists party??

Comment

Working...
                                X