No announcement yet.

House and Senate 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quite possible, Bryan-- but I think you're going to see money in this race that rivals what might be spent in a state like Georgia, Nevada or Minnesota. My condolences for the impact that's gonna have on your mailbox, TV and radio
    "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

ugh, i hope not.
      "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

A summary of the early reads on Senate races.

BTW, NM is a concensus toss up.

J
        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
          BTW, NM is a concensus toss up.
          maybe by pundits who don't live here.
          "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

An update on the Senate races from UVa. http://www.centerforpolitics.org/cry...rsenateupdate/

Bryan, here is their take on NM:

New Mexico: With incumbent Sen. Jeff Bingaman (D) retiring, Rep. Martin Heinrich (D) and ex-Rep. Heather Wilson (R) are the leaders to fight it out in the general election for this open seat. However, neither candidate is a sure thing at this point in the election cycle. State Auditor Hector Balderas (D) could give Heinrich a run for his money in the primary, and could be an attractive candidate in the general as well, whereas Wilson is probably the best chance the Republicans have to pull this one out. Given the primary uncertainty, this race remains a TOSS UP, but Republicans may ultimately have better chances elsewhere: particularly if the Republican presidential candidate fails to make inroads among Hispanic voters, who accounted for more than two of every five New Mexico voters in 2008, according to exit polls.

I read that as agreeming with you, but they are calling it toss up because there are so many variables.

J
            Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

I know there's a Senate seat up in NJ, but I am so disillusioned with NJ politics that I haven't been paying attention to who might run. I'll get my act together in time to vote.

My House seat doesn't matter, the district is as Republican as Reagan.
              Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
              We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Bob Menendez is up for Senate re-elction in NJ in 2012.
                He took Corzine's seat for about a year when Jon Corzine was elected Governor, and is filling out his first six-year term after being elected in Nov. 2006.

Last poll I saw, something like 43 pct of New Jerseyans knew who he was.
                But he's a Democrat who can raise money in a left-leaning state, and I don't know of a credible Republican who might run against him. I imagine he's considered a favorite.
                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Ah, I know who Menendez is. Tool of the North Jersey Democratic machine.

NJ hasn't elected a Republican senator since Millicent Fenwick or something, so I doubt he'll have too much trouble getting re-elected, unless Obama turns out to be total electoral poison for the Democratic ticket.

Comment

From the article.

New Jersey: Nobody gets all that excited about Sen. Robert Menendez, but the “D” after his name is probably all he needs in this race. Indeed, Republican Gov. Chris Christie’s personal popularity hasn’t seemed to help other members of his party; note, for instance, the recent New Jersey state legislative elections, where Democrats held off a Christie-led challenge to add a seat to their big majority in the state legislature. Christie of course would make a fine candidate, but after passing on a presidential run, he might be eyeing a vice presidential slot. We’ve upgraded the Democrats’ chances to keep this seat to LIKELY DEMOCRATIC.

J
                    Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

An article on why we will not flush out the current congress. i had not considered it a genuine prospect, but it appears there has been talk.

Congress is very unpopular. In November, according to the Gallup Poll, only 13% of Americans approved of the job that Congress was doing. That tied the record set in October for the lowest approval rating in the history of the Gallup Poll. Moreover, according to another recent Gallup Poll, only 20% of Americans believe that […]

For the 32 elections between 1946 and 2010, there is a strong positive correlation between party seat swings in the House and Senate elections, emphasizing the close connection between the election results in each chamber of Congress. There has not been a single election in which a party gained at least 20 seats in the House while losing seats in the Senate. Moreover, since the adoption of the 17th Amendment to the Constitution, which provided for the direct popular election of senators, there has never been an election in which control of both chambers flipped in opposite directions.

J
                      Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                        There has not been a single election in which a party gained at least 20 seats in the House while losing seats in the Senate.
                        And that's good news for the GOP because...? Given where we are right now in terms of the 11% favorable rating of the Congress it is folly to think that the House is not in play.
                        "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post
                          And that's good news for the GOP because...? Given where we are right now in terms of the 11% favorable rating of the Congress it is folly to think that the House is not in play.
                          There's always the possibility that the Senate will flip and not the House. The idea of McConnell as Senate Majority Leader is as nauseating as that of Harry Reid continuing, but if there's one thing McConnell knows, it's how to use the Senate rules. At least he knows how to move or not move legislation.

As for my local House races, my district and the three adjoining are all Republican and are likely to stay that way, with little in the way of substantive Democratic challengers. My district threw out a party hack Repub in 2008, but the Dem was so party-line that they threw him out in 2010 and went back to the previous hack.
                          Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                          -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post
                            I never said it was good news for the GOP. As for the House being in play, I never said it was not. What has been said, though not by me, is that there is a fair chance that both houses change party. This article speaks to that statement.

J
                            Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                              My House seat doesn't matter, the district is as Republican as Reagan.
                              Heh, I'm in a different district under the new NJ map, one that is a bit more even (but still majority GOP).

Comment

Ben Nelson of Nebraska not running again.
                                Sen. Ben Nelson (D-Neb.) is set to announce he will not seek reelection, dealing Democrats’ hopes of holding the Senate next year a significant blow.THE FIX | Sen. Ben Nelson (D-Neb.) announced Tuesday that he will not seek reelection, dealing Democrats’ hopes of holding the Senate next year a significant blow.

I'm not sure which party is happier about that.

Meanwhile, NJ lost one seat in the House, from 13 to 12, by not growing as much as other states in last decade.

The result is that a pair of 15-year Democratic incumbents - Bill Pascrell and Steve Rothman - will square off in a "Survivor" primary. Tea Party favorite Scott Garrett, though, is seen in linlk below as another "loser" because his rejiggered North Jersey district could set the table for a moderate Republican to challenge him. Interesting:

finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Working...
                                X