Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
    Bull****.

Most people in congress are motivated by #1 staying in office and #2 climbing the congressional food chain.

Those with true intent get kicked to the curb because they don't kiss the right ass or pander to the right PAC.

If you think otherwise, you're one of the reasons our country is ****ed today.
    Agree 10000000%.
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
      I'm with you here. Congressmen (including the female ones) are rugged individualists, or they would not survive the campaign. That does not mean they are not trying to do the right thing. One thing that has proven itself through the years, money does not buy votes. Money buys access to the decision maker and time to make your case.

When I mentioned tin foil, I was dead serious.

J
      Then why is our country so f**ked up? Or isn't it as bad as we are led to believe?
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

I'm with you here. Congressmen (including the female ones) are rugged individualists, or they would not survive the campaign. That does not mean they are not trying to do the right thing. One thing that has proven itself through the years, money does not buy votes. Money buys access to the decision maker and time to make your case.

When I mentioned tin foil, I was dead serious.

J
        Too bad.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
          Bull****.

Most people in congress are motivated by #1 staying in office and #2 climbing the congressional food chain.
          Back at you, GITH. My state's present US Senators - Kohl and Johnson - are at politically opposite ends of the spectrum. They both have firm and dedicated beliefs that they work for and articulate clearly. They're both independently wealthy and neither have a taint of corruption. Johnson's predecessor was Russ Feingold, who is as poor as any member of Congress I can think of. I disagreed a lot with Herb Kohl, but he's as honest as the day is long and I have a lot of respect for him. Same for Feingold.

My present US rep is a Tea Party GOPer; his predecessor was a liberal Dem. I didn't like the predecessor, but he was not corrupt.

That's not to say there's no cynical opportunists in Congress. Among all my state's reps, I'd certainly agree there's two who qualify.

If you think otherwise, you're one of the reasons our country is ****ed today.
          Actually, this attitude is much more of a reason our country is in the shape it's in. It drives a complete lack of participation, shown by low voter turnouts, and limited involvement in running for elections at any level
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by OaklandA's View Post
            This is one time that I mostly agree with chancellor. I also believe that many in Congress think they are doing what is best for America.

And that is not inconsistent with your #1 and #2 above. You can't get much done in a single term - you need to stick around if you want to make a difference, and you need to reach the upper levels of committees if you want your ideas to be heard.
            Agreed. Most elected officials do think they're working hard to advance the best interests of their constituents and the American people.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
              Then why is our country so f**ked up? Or isn't it as bad as we are led to believe?
              Because people are not perfect and are intrinsicly petty.

If you expect a system that can be made to work, and you have a chance of not being disappointed. If you want a well oiled machine, chances are you wind up with a dictatorship.

J
              Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• We ahve not been paying much attention to Capital Hill lately, but it has been a very good summer for the GOP. The UVa Crystal Ball has move 3 tossups to leans, all of them to Republicans.

Assuming that all six of these tenuous leaning Republican seats hold — and the leaning Democratic Senate races in Hawaii, New Mexico and Ohio also stay Blue — the Republicans would have a 49-47 Senate edge, with four remaining toss-ups. Democrats would need to sweep all four toss-ups to retain a bare majority in the Senate, 51-49. The toss-ups are Florida, Massachusetts, Montana and Virginia.

For the second straight week, the Crystal Ball is moving a toss-up Senate race to the Republican column. Now that ex-Gov. Tommy Thompson has captured the Republican nomination in Wisconsin — winning with 34% of the vote in a crowded, four-way field — we are installing him as a slight favorite to capture the Senate […]

The race semi-officially kicks off in two weeks, on the Labor Day weekend. A month from now we will have two conventions in the books. For now, just out of the blocks, the Republicans are ahead by half a stride.

J
                Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

• i say again, don't count on NM.

"Assuming that all six..." seems a stretch.
                  "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

• Originally posted by bryanbutler View Post
                    i say again, don't count on NM.

"Assuming that all six..." seems a stretch.
                    So you expect NM to go Republican? That's a switch.

J
                    Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

• As expected the Akin Gaffe is throwing Missouri into the Democratic side of the tally. This is a Democrat seat that was in jepardy, but it seems doubtful that any combination of maneuvors will save the GOP chances. However, the UVA board is only moving it to toss up, from leans Republican.
                      Wisconsin now a presidential toss-up Mitt Romney’s selection of Paul Ryan hasn’t appeared to have had much of a polling impact nationally — at least not yet — but it has seemed to move the needle in Ryan’s home state of Wisconsin. Four Wisconsin polls have come out since the Ryan selection, and they average […]

J
                      Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                        I wouldn't get too up in arms about an accusation that a Congress that's been bought and sold doesn't get behind the one guy who isn't.

"Before Social Security existed, about half of America's senior citizens lived in poverty. Today, less than 10 percent live in poverty. Let me be clear: as a United State Senator, I will be damned if this group of multi-millionaire CEOs, working with multi-millionaire Senators and Congressmen from both sides of the aisle succeeds in gutting Social Security." --- Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.)

Sanders is just the best, hands down.
                        Bernie's always good at denouncing proposals that haven't been proposed and which he knows won't be proposed. He's great at setting up straw men and knocking them down--and claiming a halo for his waste of time and oxygen.

What I'd like to see from the ideologically pure like Sanders is some actual legislative proposals--not ideas, not trial balloons, not red meat for the the folks back in the People's Republic of Vermont. Get your hands dirty a little, Bernie, and put some actual proposals on the table. Fight for them, heck, even compromise a bit, if your ideas are so good. Until then, like your colleagues on the far left and your counterparts on the far right, you're just hot air.
                        Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                        -- William James

Comment

As expected the Akin Gaffe is throwing Missouri into the Democratic side of the tally. This is a Democrat seat that was in jepardy, but it seems doubtful that any combination of maneuvors will save the GOP chances. However, the UVA board is only moving it to toss up, from leans Republican.
                          Wisconsin now a presidential toss-up Mitt Romney’s selection of Paul Ryan hasn’t appeared to have had much of a polling impact nationally — at least not yet — but it has seemed to move the needle in Ryan’s home state of Wisconsin. Four Wisconsin polls have come out since the Ryan selection, and they average […]

J
                          If Akin stays in the race and McCaskill wins, with the net result being it costs the Republicans the chance to retake the Senate by one seat--good. If it takes a victory by a moron like him to achieve victory, it would be a Pyrrhic victory indeed.

As for the polls, I can understand their caution. It's still ten weeks until the election and a lot can happen.

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                          -- William James

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post

"If there's a more useless gasbag twit on the left than Sanders, I don't know who he is...OK, I guess Schumer comes close."

3 men who attended the same high school in Brooklyn: Sanders, Schumer - and my father.
                            #smallworld

of course, my father said fewer words in a month than those guys do in a day, lol
                            Two guys in the same college graduating class--John Boehner and me. I was a campus politician, he wasn't. Not one person from our class to whom I've talked remembers him, not even ones in his major.

-- William James

Comment

• Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
                              If Akin stays in the race and McCaskill wins, with the net result being it costs the Republicans the chance to retake the Senate by one seat--good. If it takes a victory by a moron like him to achieve victory, it would be a Pyrrhic victory indeed.

As for the polls, I can understand their caution. It's still ten weeks until the election and a lot can happen.
                              Have you seen Minnesota's junior Senator?

Akins comments have not completely sunk his ship. McCaskill got a 10 % bump out of the gaff, but has her own foot in mouth problems.

J
                              Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Have you seen Minnesota's junior Senator?

Akins comments have not completely sunk his ship. McCaskill got a 10 % bump out of the gaff, but has her own foot in mouth problems.

J
                                Not sunk his ship? Robert Ballard just signed a contract with National Geographic for an expedition to locate in under the North Atlantic, Jay. Akin didn't put his foot in his mouth, he stuck his swollen, throbbing dick in the face of every woman in America and then reemphasized Romney and the RNC's utter inability to control their minions, a process started with the Tea Party movement, continued by Boehner's embarrassing reversals int he current Congress and now Akin telling Romney to go shlt in his hat because there are so many Republicans who actually believe in this "legitimate rape" crap including the party's new darling, Paul Ryan.

Al Franken may be an ass, but if you're seriously comparing him to Akin you have become totally unmoored.
                                "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Working...
                                X