No announcement yet.

Record Heat and Heat Records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With very little fanfare, we set a new record for most 100° days in a year, with 7 more in the 7 day forecast.

That being said, it has improved from early August. The temperature range is wider, which means that nighttime temps are cooler. It is pretty nice ti about 11:00 AM.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

The weather in SW Pennsylvania this summer has been unbelievably....WONDERFUL!! it's been in the 70's and 80's almost every day..very few days in the 90's..and the grass is still green in August!!
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

A nice mild 105° for the first day of school. Half day, I should say.

Wenow have records for most consecutive days over 100°, most total days over 100°, most days over 105°, hottest July. Next week we should get most days over 95°, with over a month to go in the hot season.

J
        Last edited by onejayhawk; 08-23-2011, 09:06 AM.
        Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
          The same models they use for weather forecasting are used for climate change projections. Take that Algore.

J
          I blame Rick Perry. 2 prayer meetings - no end to heat in sight.

Oh yea, I'm going to Dallas Sunday & Monday

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
            I blame Rick Perry. 2 prayer meetings - no end to heat in sight.

Oh yea, I'm going to Dallas Sunday & Monday
            Forecast is for only 103°.

J
            Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Vegas finally back in the race with a brisk 110 today and the rest of the week!
              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                Vegas finally back in the race with a brisk 110 today and the rest of the week!
                Been there. Done that. In October.

J
                Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

A beautiful sunny 80 degree day here in San Diego..i mean SW PA....
                  "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

We kicked off the HS football season in a balmy 107°. If you never understood the term "redneck", the games would show you.

18 of 27 August days at 105° or over. That's a new record for the a month, and builds on a new record for a summer.

J
                    Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

For the first time in more than a decade, we hit 110°. Football players must have loved that astroturf.

J
                      Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Wildfires are bad here today. There's been the smell of smoke in the air all afternoon and evening, and they say over 300 homes have burned in Bastrop County, which is just about 20 miles east of where I am. Then on the west side of Austin, I have some friends getting ready to evacuate for a fire burning there. So far they've lost 20 or so homes in Travis County. I'm aware of at least a half dozen fires currently burning around the suburbs of Austin. We could really use some rain, but there is none in sight.
                        "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

NJ got 10 inches just last Sunday that we wished we could have sent you about 9.5 of...
                          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                            NJ got 10 inches just last Sunday that we wished we could have sent you about 9.5 of...
                            We had an official 0.09 in July and 0.08 in August. Those approximately the average daily totals.

Yesterday was 100°. That made 22 straight over 100°, the fourth longest streak in history. August was the hottest month in history, and we had the hottest unofficial summer (Memorial Day to Labor Day) in history. He had 100° all but 7 days from 12 June to 4 September, and six other days scattered. In all 89 days 100° or over. The old record was 63. We also have a new record for most days 105° or over.

But its over. Last night dropped low in the 70's, and today is predicted for only 88°. It may get hot again, but the heat wave that started in May is finished.

J
                            Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

The winds have finally calmed a little bit with the passage of the cold front, and it seems like the firefighters are starting to get the fires under control. They say now over 400 homes were destroyed by three separate fires in Bastrop County that merged to become one large, 16-mile long fire. That fire even jumped the Colorado River. In Travis County, 20 homes were destroyed and 20 more damaged in the Steiner Ranch fire west of town. Two homes were destroyed in Cedar Park in Williamson County just north of Austin. Several other fires were burning and north and west of Austin, but they were contained before homes were destroyed.

There were fires toward the Houston area, as well. I know less details about those.
                              "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                                we would have gladly taken all 10. I know many of us were disappointed when tropical storm Lee didnt provide any relief here in TX.

Here's a picture of what KS was talking about:

I drove past a fire in Houston yesterday... when that starts happening in Houston, you know the rest of the region must be having desert like conditions.
                                "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Working...
                                X