No announcement yet.

Record Heat and Heat Records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

even better for this polar bear, I've got the coolest temps in the continental US!

anymore arguments on that whole global warming thing?
    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
      even better for this polar bear, I've got the coolest temps in the continental US!

anymore arguments on that whole global warming thing?
      I thought they decided we have an ice age coming--in about 50,000 years.

Contrary to the post above, we hit 101° today, keeping the streak alive. It is now #2 all time, with temps about 105° focast all week. At this rate we will set the new record Wednesday next week. Also, for the first time we have had a calandar month all above 100°

J
      Last edited by onejayhawk; 07-31-2011, 11:06 PM.
      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Our boy scout troop went to Philmont the first week of July. They came back and told us the lake was frozen over still, and they hiked/camped in snow for four days straight. They said the trails were nice when they could find them.
        They went hoping to see some snow! Ha! And even though the motto is "be prepared", there wasn't an expectation for actually camping in snow for four days. Nevertheless, they were resourceful with what they had and enjoyed it. Can't wait to go with my boys in a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by regular-guy View Post
          Our boy scout troop went to Philmont the first week of July. They came back and told us the lake was frozen over still, and they hiked/camped in snow for four days straight. They said the trails were nice when they could find them.
          They went hoping to see some snow! Ha! And even though the motto is "be prepared", there wasn't an expectation for actually camping in snow for four days. Nevertheless, they were resourceful with what they had and enjoyed it. Can't wait to go with my boys in a few years.
          I didn't know about Philmont so looked it up ... sounds very cool. Reminded of our trip to New Mexico in early November, & the snow we encountered in nearby Taos ... while it was in the high 70's just a couple of hours away.

Was also interested in the TRex track found nearby ... estimated to be 65-70 million years old ... fascinating stuff!

Originally posted by USGS
          A number of circumstances occurred that enabled the T. rex track to be preserved. First, the mud that the dinosaur was walking across had to be of a particular consistency and character - firm enough to preserve the shape of the foot, but not so soft or fluid to allow mud to flow back in and destroy the footprint. Second, the footprint had to remain open until the river flooded, allowing sand-laden water to flow across the mudflat, filling the track and depositing a three- to five-foot layer of sand on the mud surface. The flood current had to be gentle enough not to wash away the mud containing the track, yet strong enough to carry the sand sediment that filled the footprint and covered the mudflat. This sand layer was later covered by thousands of feet of other sediment layers that solidified into rock. These layers of rock were eventually eroded to form valleys and ridges, exposing the sandstone bearing the footprint.
          http://esp.cr.usgs.gov/info/kt/footprint.html
          Last edited by TranaGreg; 08-02-2011, 01:23 PM.
          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
            I thought they decided we have an ice age coming--in about 50,000 years.

Contrary to the post above, we hit 101° today, keeping the streak alive. It is now #2 all time, with temps about 105° focast all week. At this rate we will set the new record Wednesday next week. Also, for the first time we have had a calandar month all above 100°

J
            When you say "we" where are you referring to? Texas? Kansas? Iraq?

Comment

for the month of July, the high temperature was never below 100°, but it never reached a daily record til it tied one on the 31st. Since then we ahve broken the old record by 3° both days. Today was tied for 5th highest ever, at 109°. The predeiction for tomorrow and Thursday is 108°, with a shot at the all time record of 112°.

34 straight, and counting of 100°, and 51 this year. Its beginning to look like a heat wave.

J
              Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                When you say "we" where are you referring to? Texas? Kansas? Iraq?
                for the month of July, the high temperature was never below 100°, but it never reached a daily record til it tied one on the 31st. Since then we ahve broken the old record by 3° both days. Today was tied for 5th highest ever, at 109°. The predeiction for tomorrow and Thursday is 108°, with a shot at the all time record of 112°.

34 straight, and counting of 100°, and 51 this year. Its beginning to look like a heat wave.

J
                Seriously ... where???
                It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

South of Valley Mills drive in overly sunny Waco, TX.

If this was Iraq, 104° (40° C) would be a break in the heat, or 10:00 AM. I once gave a German truck driver a frozen Snicker bar and a slushy 20 oz Gatorade. He tried give me a bottle of wine as a thank you.

J
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

South of Valley Mills drive in overly sunny Waco, TX.

If this was Iraq, 104° (40° C) would be a break in the heat, or 10:00 AM. I once gave a German truck driver a frozen Snicker bar and a slushy 20 oz Gatorade. He tried give me a bottle of wine as a thank you.

J
                    Just curious, what's your electric bill for the month?

Comment

Only $97 here in Vegas for the month
                      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

About $165. We have level billing and gas heat.

J
                        Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                          Only $97 here in Vegas for the month
                          You dont mind so much, because its clean energy.

J
                          Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

J
                            Congrats on the record! :flame:

We need a melting smiley
                            I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
                            You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
                            "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
                            It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

I let the dog out last night at 10:45 and it was 103 degrees here. That's not right.

Comment

You dont mind so much, because its clean energy.

J
                                Everything's laundered in Vegas......
                                If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                                Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                                X