Record Heat and Heat Records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
    I let the dog out last night at 10:45 and it was 103 degrees here. That's not right.
    Then why did you post it? How much was it? Or what time was it? Or do you even have a dog???
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
      Then why did you post it? How much was it? Or what time was it? Or do you even have a dog???
      There is no spoon.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
        There is no spoon.
        That's because it melted.
        "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
          That's because it melted.
          Must have been the cheap plastic. The good ones are only deforming a little.

Caught a break today. The temp only went to 108°, barely a record. Less than 150 miles from here it was 116°.

J
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

It's been over 110 here recently. 114 in Little Rock and Ozark. Ozark is up in the northwestern part of the state, so we don't think about it getting so hot there. Just a little farther you are in the foothills of the Ozarks.

High humidity makes it stifling. Stepping outside feels like stepping into an oven.

The all-time high in Arkansas is only 120, so we've gotten pretty close. I feel very sorry for the people who have to earn their livings doing manual labor outside.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
              Funny, funny post.

Comment

One upshot of the heat is that the ground is cracking. I hate to think what it does to tree roots.

The string is now 37 days over 100°. The forecast is for 103° or higher for seven more days, putting us with a New Waco Record. Huzzah. Plus, we now have 6 straight days of daily record highs.

J
                Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Funny, funny post.
                  Thanks. I was thinking of you while typing it.
                  It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

It is official. We have a new record: 43 straight days over 100°, and no end in sight.

My wife saw the channel 10 weatherman at Walmart. He says the heat will likely not break until October. The string of 100° days could easily top 50. So far only two other streaks have topped 25.

J
                    Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                      It is official. We have a new record: 43 straight days over 100°, and no end in sight.

My wife saw the channel 10 weatherman at Walmart. He says the heat will likely not break until October. The string of 100° days could easily top 50. So far only two other streaks have topped 25.

J
                      wow, if I were him I think I'd stay away from public places.

Comment

Since I spent time in a place where it goes past 110° every day for months, I have a different heat tolerance than most people. That being said, this is getting old.

J
                        Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

J
                          We saw a piece on television the other day which said the streak ended before reaching 42, so we were glad to hear that you've had some relief. Apparently, that report was erroneous. Sorry you can't seem to get a break out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                            We saw a piece on television the other day which said the streak ended before reaching 42, so we were glad to hear that you've had some relief. Apparently, that report was erroneous. Sorry you can't seem to get a break out there.
                            The streak did break in Dallas, if you call 99°, with a 105° heat index, a break. Waco was 101° that day.

However, today you have your wish. The high fell 12° from yesterday. Just 48 hours ago the forcast was for 104°. It is the first day under 100° since 29 June 2011, and the only the second day under 95° since 26 May 2011. We have a good shot at the record for most days over 100°, needing 3 more to make 64 for the year. Tomorrow's forecast is for 102°.

J
                            Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

The streak did break in Dallas, if you call 99°, with a 105° heat index, a break. Waco was 101° that day.

However, today you have your wish. The high fell 12° from yesterday. Just 48 hours ago the forcast was for 104°. It is the first day under 100° since 29 June 2011, and the only the second day under 95° since 26 May 2011. We have a good shot at the record for most days over 100°, needing 3 more to make 64 for the year. Tomorrow's forecast is for 102°.

J
                              I blame false prophets....
                              "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                                I blame false prophets....
                                The same models they use for weather forecasting are used for climate change projections. Take that Algore.

J
                                Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Working...
                                X