No announcement yet.

Exceelent TV Shows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I checked out the pilot to the new Amazon series, The Man in the High Castle. It's set in the USA about 15 years after hte NAZI's and Japan won the war and occupied the USA. I read some of Philip K. Dick's stuff back in the 90's ... you know, the dark ages ... but I didn't know about this one. Not bad. It's hard to judge these Amazon pilots, but this one looks promising if they can imprint a clear narrative. So many of these sandbox type TV shows get lost and turn out boring. I guess my one big worry is that none of the characters really stood out for me as being special ... they were kinda boring if I'm being honest.

I'm not 100% sure what's going on here, but it seems there might be something else going on. The newsreel footage showed the events at the actual end of the war. And we're supposed to believe that int he space of 15 years, everyone just forgot? I dunno ... I was thinking this was going to turn into some kind of Fringe type alternate universe type reality. I really dunno. Definitely worth a further look I reckon.

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
      Odd, I just finished The Man in the High Castle in book form. It was widely considered to be Dick's best book, won awards and all that, but it's pretty different than the others of his that I've read. I especially appreciated the role the I Ching played in the book. Hopefully that's around for the series. I also really liked the "story within the story" concept going on. It's like an alternate history within an alternate history. Alternate historyception or something.
      Yeah, there was definitely something weird going on. Did they sell the series in the pilot though? I'm not so sure ... I fell they might have been a bit too cryptic. But I'll definitely stick around.

Comment

• Catch up weekend continues ...

Bosch - another cop series, but this is excellent. Have only seen the first 2 episodes and I'm hooked already. Really strong attention to detail, lot's of nice little touches ... this series screams "top class" (so far).

Comment

• Is A-Rod in it?
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
            Is A-Rod in it?

Comment

• I watched the first 2 episodes of The Assets when it aired last year ... then ABC immediately dropped it because of the ratings. Idiots.

Finally caught up on the rest of the mini-series on Netflix. It's really well worth watching, and helluva lot better than the RT and IMDB ratings. Mad Max has 98% on RT, and The Assets has 56% #RTirrelevant.

They did a great job of authentically recreating the era.

Comment

• As good as The Assets was, I caught up on a couple of really disappointing Netflix original series.

Residue is a UK sci fi series about a supposed contamination in central London. Stars Ramsey and Osha from Game of Thrones. Starts off promising, then just gets crap. It's like this just ran out of ideas.

Sense8 is the heavily hyped Wachawski Brothers sci fi / supernatural series. I got halfway through the first episode, and then gave up. If you aren't interested in the Wachawshi vision of the world: transgender, BDSM, techno music, druggy coked up characters, convoluted ideas, Xtreme-far-fetchedness ...then don't go here. It's usually bad to make a snap judgement based on 40 minutes of one episode, but I feel comfortable giving up on this given what I've seen from these guys/gals in the past.

Comment

• I'm kind of enjoying Wayward Pines right now. I'm sure in a few episodes it will join the likes of Under the Dome and The Event, but at least it's entertaining at a time when there's not much else on.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                    As good as The Assets was, I caught up on a couple of really disappointing Netflix original series.
                    Did you watch Daredevil yet? I thought they did a great job with it.

I've been thinking about watching Bloodlines, but haven't started yet.
                    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by ironfist View Post
                      I'm kind of enjoying Wayward Pines right now. I'm sure in a few episodes it will join the likes of Under the Dome and The Event, but at least it's entertaining at a time when there's not much else on.
                      I haven't hit a stupid factor in it like I did pretty early in Under the Dome. I've been enjoying it so far.
                      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                        Did you watch Daredevil yet? I thought they did a great job with it.

I've been thinking about watching Bloodlines, but haven't started yet.
                        I've seen the first 2 episodes of Daredevil, and liked what I've seen so far. Will definitely catch up with this one.

Likewise, saw the first 2/3 episodes of Bloodlines, and, well, it's kinda boring. Not that good IMO. It got to the point were I just didn't care, and stopped watching.
                        Last edited by johnnya24; 06-06-2015, 10:54 PM.

Comment

• Netflix posts the new season of 'Orange is the New Black' next Friday!

Comment

• I finished the 3rd series of House of Cards. It was quite slow initially, but it built up nicely to an interesting ending. On par with season 2 I'd say.

Comment

• Binge watched the first season of Halt and Catch Fire this weekend. Enjoyed it very much. Another show filmed in Georgia.

Comment

• Got through the first four episodes of the new season of Orange Is the New Black this weekend. One difference is that it's funnier than previous seasons, the comedy side of things is really shining. Helps that there has been a lot of Boo and Luschek.
                                Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                                We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Working...
                                X