Exceelent TV Shows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
    I was pumped after that season finale. I love how they keep mixing it up. I love how they keep the characters complex, as well. I'm enjoying how they're evolving, especially Herschel.

Lori is a f*cking bitch though, it's true.
    Yeah I didn't mean to make it sound as if I hated it, more like annoyances. Michonne looks like a badass though. The actress they cast to play her was in The Visitor. She was excellent there as well. Agreed about Lori. Why is she shocked by what Rick did when she was Lady MacBeth a few episodes prior?

Comment

• Originally posted by Roto Rooter View Post
      Most people who complain about this show are the comic book heroes who already know 99% of the story lines. Well duh yeah i'd hate a show too if i knew what was going to happen. Not knowing these characters long term "plan" makes this show so much better.
      I started reading the comic book after watching the show and I was initially worried I'd spoil myself. I stopped when they got to the farm and then picked it up again when they started the second half this season. However, the comic book significantly diverges from the TV show that I feel like I won't spoil myself too bad if I read it. They're both pretty different even if they take place in the same world. I'm not surprised the diehard geeks complain since a lot of the characters are pretty different, but so what?

Comment

I'm enjoying how they're evolving, especially Herschel.
        You could tell he used to play Doom on the Playstation the way he toted that shotgun and never had to reload.

Comment

• Originally posted by ironfist View Post
          I started reading the comic book after watching the show and I was initially worried I'd spoil myself. I stopped when they got to the farm and then picked it up again when they started the second half this season. However, the comic book significantly diverges from the TV show that I feel like I won't spoil myself too bad if I read it. They're both pretty different even if they take place in the same world. I'm not surprised the diehard geeks complain since a lot of the characters are pretty different, but so what?
          Yeah ... and even if it was the same, if it's good, you can still enjoy both. I have just got through book 4 of A Song of Fire and Ice. I only intended to read book 1 before season 2 started ... but couldn't put it down. The next 3 seasons of Game of Thrones are going to be immense (especially since they can throw the Luck budget into the mix ). If the TV series follows the books in quality, Seasons 3 & 4 will be better than Season 2, and they all will be better than Season 1 ... if they can pull that off it would be remarkable. A Feast For Crows I didn't enjoy half as much ... but in saying that, I think it will make a better TV series than it did a book.

HBO apparently just made $12m from the first week of DVD sales in the US alone ... so I don't think there is any danger of HBO backing off and going cheap.

Last edited by johnnya24; 03-20-2012, 07:12 AM.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by ironfist View Post

Im one of those comic fanboys, and i was having some real problems until i finally had tomget my mind right that the comics and the show were two totally separate things
              "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                HBO apparently just made $12m from the first week of DVD sales in the US alone ... so I don't think there is any danger of HBO backing off and going cheap.
                My girlfriend and I are tearing through the Season 1 DVD's; they are phenomenal! Only one complaint - what's the point of manufacturing the backstory of Robert and Cersei's lost child? Or did I miss it in the books?
                "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                  My girlfriend and I are tearing through the Season 1 DVD's; they are phenomenal! Only one complaint - what's the point of manufacturing the backstory of Robert and Cersei's lost child? Or did I miss it in the books?
                  Cersei claims to have loved Robert at first, but he always resented that she wasn't Lyanna Stark (he was supposed to marry Ned Stark's sister before she died). Cersei's introduction to married life was being "raped" on her wedding night and being called Lyanna by a drunken King Robert.

The marriage of Baratheon and Stark would have secured the throne for Robert. When Lyanna died Robert needed a new alliance, and the Lannister's were the most powerful house in Westeros. Robert hated the Lannister's, and resented the fact that they didn't turn up until all the fighting was over ... but he had to marry her for political reasons to protect his claim to the throne.

It's hard to know exactly what went on, because Cersei was always a bad seed herself, and the backstory in the book is told from her POV. But Robert was not a nice guy ... he treated Cersei like a whore, and openly desecrated their marriage. He did everything he could to humiliate her and the other Lannister's at court (her brother and cousin fro example). The lost child backstory relates to this and also the season 1 "rumours" about the birthrights of Joffrey, Tommen and Myrcella. Might be a minor spoiler in white if you haven't seen season 1: Cersei got her revenge on Robert by aborting his only conceived baby and making sure that his seed was never passed on.
                  Last edited by johnnya24; 03-20-2012, 11:21 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                    Cersei claims to have loved Robert at first, but he always resented that she wasn't Lyanna Stark (who he was supposed to marry before she died). It's hard to know exactly what went on, because Cersei was always a bad seed herself, and the backstory in the book is told from her POV. Robert hated the Lannister's, but had to marry her for political reasons to protect his claim to the throne. He then basically treated her like a whore, and openly desecrated their marriage. The lost child backstory relates to this and also the season 1 "rumours" about the birthrights of Joffrey, Tommen and Myrcella.
                    Yeah, I don't recall a lost child mentioned in the books, though it wouldn't have been an improbable event given their history. I just don't want this turning into LOTR: The Two Towers, where the movie makers decide to start making sh!t up and changing significant events and characters from the book for no reason whatsoever other than to gratify their egos.

Your spoiler idea is interesting, but she did mention that the child was black of hair, which suggests to me that he was older when he met his demise.
                    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                    "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                      Yeah, I don't recall a lost child mentioned in the books, though it wouldn't have been an improbable event given their history. I just don't want this turning into LOTR: The Two Towers, where the movie makers decide to start making sh!t up and changing significant events and characters from the book for no reason whatsoever other than to gratify their egos.

Your spoiler idea is interesting, but she did mention that the child was black of hair, which suggests to me that he was older when he met his demise.
                      Cersei recalls these events throughout all the books, not just in Game of Thrones. In fact, a lot of the details I am referring probably come from the later books (A Feast For Crows in particular) ... I read them so quickly that I can't differentiate. I'm almost certain she mentions a stillborn or aborted pregnancy (must have been late in the term) where the fetus had Robert's features (black hair and blue eyes).

Comment

Yeah, all the bespectacled fanboys are really up in arms about this as well and are making their complaints known loud and clear on teh Internets from their mom's basements. Plus, Lori was firing off headshots with a snubnose from the porch! The humanity!!!!!!
                        I thought it was badass ... maybe he reloaded off camera

Comment

Yeah, all the bespectacled fanboys are really up in arms about this as well and are making their complaints known loud and clear on teh Internets from their mom's basements. Plus, Lori was firing off headshots with a snubnose from the porch! The humanity!!!!!!
                          I started laughing when he started firing the magic shotgun, "12, 13, 14...." I think I got to 17.

I think Season 3 is going to be one of the most grim things people have ever seen on television.

I've come to absolutely hate Lori, but my Andrea/Laurie Holden crush has only gotten bigger....I watched the last 2 episodes last night, and had zombie dreams all night instead of the Maggie/Andrea threesome my dreams should deliver

Last edited by Fresno Bob; 03-20-2012, 12:00 PM.
                          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                            I've come to absolutely hate Lori, but my Andrea/Laurie Holden crush has only gotten bigger....

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1...l06go1_500.jpg (spoiler ... so no embed)
                            Last edited by johnnya24; 03-20-2012, 12:30 PM.

Comment

• For those interested:

Person of Interest - renewed ... I'll stick to Equalizer re-runs
                              Terra Nova - cancelled ... no surprise considering how utterly awful it was)
                              Falling Skies - series 2 start in June ... huh? are they trying to prove how bad it is or something?

-------

Has anyone watched Southland? Is it worth checking out?

Comment

• Southland = pretty good, especially since it switched to TNT. But it's not revolutionary or anything.
                                Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                                We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Working...
                                X