'Desert Island Disc' Classic Rock Draft Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 29.10 Don't Stop Me Now - Queen, Jazz 1979

I was down to 2 Queen songs and kept waiting figuring someone would take one, alas I had to decide.

Comment

• sorry, wrong thread.
      One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• Sheep skipped, Gregg up for his last two picks.

Comment

• 29.11 - Everybody's Changing, Keane (2000's)

Probably not gonna win me any critical raves, but fuggit, I like it...

If that's too British/electronic/gay/riff-less/whatever, here's a more organic live version with Lily Allen. This was my introduction to the song:

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
          "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
          "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• 29.12 - Helpless - Neil Young -unplugged 1993

Comment

• You guys didn't think I could get stranded on a desert island without at least one praise song? While I don't particularly like Christian Rock, I do like this one and hope you will too.

30.1 - How Great is Our God- Seveth Day Slumber- 2009

Comment

• My roster is still light on classic riff-heavy 70's rock guitar blowouts, so for my last wildcard, I will eschew another moody 90's dirge for a fun song that makes me think fondly of two of my favorite things - baseball, and my beloved home state.

30.02 - Rocky Mountain Way, Joe Walsh (Wildcard)

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Frae skipped, Steve up.

Comment

• 30.03 Our Life is not a Movie or Maybe - Okkervil River Stage Names 2007

I have a lot of bands I would like to get in here with my last pick, but I really like this song and it is by a band we haven't mentioned yet so here you go.

Comment

• 30.04 Speeding Back to My Baby, Ace Frehley, 1970's (wildcard)

Almost went with this for my last pick:

Opening Theme from Jonny Quest:

Comment

• Toughest pick. I have about 4-5 songs from the 00's that i like equally...I'm going to go with the most upbeat one..it will pick me up when i feel lonely on the island and need something to just bop to...The chorus is just so damn catchy!!

30.05 Bang - Raveonettes (In and Out of Control, 2009)

"I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Screw you guys, I'm picking a pseudo-rock song with my last pick.

30.06 - "Time to Pretend" - MGMT (Oracular Spectacular, 2008)

"Kids" got all the airplay, but this is MGMT's masterpiece. It takes the stereotypical "we're going to be rich and famous" meme and pokes fun at it - plans of marrying models then divorcing them, doing lots of drugs, etc.

Comment

• 30.07.....Who Are You, The Who (1978)

Comment

• 30.08 The Real Me, The Who (Quadrophenia, 1973, wildcard)

Some of the best bass playing you will ever hear on a rock record.

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                              We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• 30.09 Ripples - Genesis (A Trick of The Tail, 1976)

Well, I couldn't leave my boys hanging.

Although in some ways this is Genesis at their sappiest and corniest, it's also one of their most beautiful. For any old-time fan who loved this back in '76, it can make the eyes well up like no other, especially with it's message of growing old and how youth and beauty are fleeting. This was always the one Genesis song that the girls loved... my wife and daughter no exception. And that instrumental section is one of their best, one of the last great showcases for Steve Hackett before he left and changed the band forever.

But it's also a reminder how great Phil Collins was back then, before he became "Phil Collins". He sings like a f*cking angel on this, the first video he and the band ever did. And it's doubly poignant after hearing about him last week; he's not doing well:

Phil Collins had to be helped out of an awards ceremony after being hit by crippling pains all over his body.
                                The fragile pop legend was due to present a gong to Ringo Starr but the lingering effects of a spinal injury struck and he was forced to leave, supported by two aides.
                                Former Genesis drummer Collins, 60, chatted to stars including Bob Geldof ahead of presenting Ringo with the Icon Award at the Mojo ceremony in London on Thursday.
                                There he revealed: “I’m on my last legs. I couldn’t come back to music even if I wanted to. All these aches and pains, can’t do it any more.” A Mojo spokesman added: “Phil was unwell and unfortunately had to go home.”
                                Collins vowed to retire from music last March after a string of illnesses left him weak, lethargic and unable to drum ever again. His ordeal began with the back injury in 2009 after decades of pounding his kit caused vertebrae to crush his spinal cord.
                                “All those years on the road has taken it out of me. Now I spend all of my days doing nothing, just lying down watching daytime TV and Sky News."
                                One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

Working...
                                X