No announcement yet.

'Desert Island Disc' Classic Rock Draft Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 28.07.....Day After Day, Badfinger (1971)

What a star-crossed band. The first band added to Apple Records, they were true Beatles disciples. But arguments over royalties led, for all intents and purposes, to the suicides of both Pete Ham and Tom Evans. Ham sings lead here on one of their most haunting tunes.

Comment

• 28.08 Cosmic Slop, Funkadelic (Cosmic Slop, 1973, wildcard)

One of the best examples of rock/funk fusion, with a riff that never leaves my brain. My bar-band friends love to play this.

This is the best version of it I've ever heard.

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
      We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• 28.10 Cemetery Gates, Pantera, Cowboys From Hell, 1990 (WC)

This is pretty awesome too.

If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• 28.11 One Love, Bob Marley, Exodus, 1977

Comment

• 28.09 Lisztomania - Phoenix (Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix, 2009)

And the French make it on to the board!
            One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• 28.12 Riding With The King (B.B. King and Eric Clapton, Riding With The King, 2000)

Comment

• 29.01 Schism (Tool, Lateralus, 2001)

Tool was a difficult listen at first, due in part to their complex time signatures. Justin Chancellor is one of my son's favorites.

Comment

• I was considering a Tool song here funnily enough ... I felt I needed to heavy it up a bit ... so I'll go with one of my all time favourite riffs. I'll post the 10 minutes Muse Riff Compendium Outro in the other thread in a bit ... it includes this riff.

29.02 Headup, Deftones, Around the Fur, 1997

Too many songs/bands/artists that will inevitably be left out ... no point trying to fill gaps ... there will always be too many.

Comment

• I was surprised to see that none of our wedding playlist was on my roster (I burned 8 CDs and told the DJ 'don't play anything not on these CDs' except for Indian music). Well, this one was.

Sweet & Dandy, Toots & the Maytalls, Sweet & Dandy, 1968 (WC)

If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• 29.04 Sweetness - Jimmy Eat World (Bleed American, 2001)

Great song, one last wild card (70s) pick to go!
                      One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• 29.05 Sergeant Politeness, Failure (Fantastic Planet, 1996)

Fantastic Planet was one of the best albums of the '90s, IMO. Immaculately produced, each song sounds slightly different every time you hear it. But this was no fancy-pants project, a lot of the songs rock hard.

Sergeant Politeness, the hardest rocker on the record, owes something to Nirvana, but it makes me want to jump around the room with boundless energy, in the same way the very best grunge songs such as Smells Like Teen Spirit and Jesus Christ Pose do. Mith, you'll want to take note of the riffage.

Unfortunately, while Fantastic Planet was just their third record, it was also their last. Bassist/lyricist Gregg Edwards developed a debilitating heroin problem (alluded to in some of FP's songs) and the band fell apart because of it. Singer/guitarist/composer Ken Andrews, the main architect behind FP's brilliant production, has released subsequent stuff under a variety of names, including On, Year of the Rabbit, and his own name. All are worth hearing, as are the first two Failure albums.
                        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Time to kick some ass!

29.06....Hair of the Dog, Nazareth (1976)

Comment

• 29.07 - "Baby Fratelli" - The Fratellis (Costello Music, 2006)

I thought about going with "Cuntry Boys and Country Girls" instead, but this riff just gets me banging my head every time.

Comment

• Best song of the 2000's.

29.08 American Idiot -Green Day (American Idiot 2004)

"I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• 29.09 Crazy Train, Ozzie Osbourne, 1980

Comment

Working...
                                X