No announcement yet.

'Desert Island Disc' Classic Rock Draft Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 27.04 Computer Camp Love - Datarock (Datarock, 2005)

One of my favorites, I knew I could wait on this one till the end, lol.
    One martini, two martini, three martini, floor.

Comment

• 27.05 It Was There That I Saw You, ...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead (Source Tags and Codes, 2002)

This is much better punk-prog fusion than Mars Volta. Source Tags & Codes is a mindblowing album -- one of the few to ever receive a 10.0 from Pitchfork, if you care about such things -- and this, its opening track, sets the tone perfectly. I was totally blown away when someone put it on at a party I was at a few months after it came out. Apparently it took two years to make this album, and you could tell.

The only studio recording I could find on Youtube was this, which appears to be a different (rougher) mix than what I have, but you get the idea.

ST&C is probably their only album worth owning. Their earlier ones suffer from production so low-fi that you can't make out the dynamics at all, and their subsequent ones take the prog elements to a grandiose extreme. But some bands only have one masterpiece in them.

Live, Trail of Dead are as chaotic as it gets. They get drunk and break stuff at most shows.

The first time I saw them was one of the best shows I've ever seen. It was at a small club in Philly on an off-day from their tour opening for Queens of the Stone Age, about six months after ST&C came out. They called up the club and offered to play for $500 and a bottle of Jack Daniels. Sold. They played as loud and as furious as I've ever heard anyone play. At the end of the show, bassist Neil Busch put a hole in the drop ceiling with the neck of his bass, and frontman Conrad Keely smashed the bottle of Jack on the floor. Keely took a long time to return to the stage for the encore, so second frontman Jason Reece shouted "Hey Conrad, stop shooting up in the bathroom and get your ass out here!"

The second time, Reese sang some of his songs from the top of the speakers, Keely decided to add an impromptu version of "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down," which they had never performed or rehearsed, to the encore*, and the bass player (a different guy from Busch, who had left by this point) tore down the curtain at the side of the stage when he attempted to hang on it at the end of the show.

The third time, they were NOT drunk, because their tour bus broke down on the way to the venue and they arrived only minutes before they were supposed to go on. Keely was pissed about that, and smashed his guitar at the end of the show in frustration. He followed that by telling the crowd that everyone was more than welcome to come get drunk with them.

Here is a trainwreck-free live version:

* -- Keely decided to play piano on that song, bumping their keyboardist (a hired gun for that tour) from his perch. The keyboardist then picked up Keely's guitar and started playing along. To which Keely blurted: "You play guitar? I had no idea."
      Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
      We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• My final 2000s song (yeah, no WCs here for me) is a toughie between two songs I really like, or a band who I really like who may get shutout, but had better stuff in the 1990s. I'll go with the song over the band.

27.06......Something More, Train (2001)

Train has some songs I love (this one, Drops of Jupiter, Calling All Angels) and some I really hate (Hey Soul Sister, Meet Virginia). But this was another one for me that as soon as I heard it on the radio, I had to find out who it was. At first, I thought it was from the early 1970s and I had somehow missed it all those years, but it turned out to be brand spankin' new. Imagine that!

Comment

• Ugh, this is when it gets reaaaally tough.

27.07 - "Consoler of the Lonely" - The Raconteurs (Consolers of the Lonely, 2008)

Still not sure if I'm going to end up with a White Stripes song in the end, but this will give me my Jack White fix otherwise.

Comment

• My favorite song from arguably the best rock album of the 90's:

27.08 - Some Might Say - Oasis (What's the Story Morning Glory, 1995)

"I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• 27.09 Let's Get Rocked - Def Leppard 1992

Comment

• 27.10 Daylight - Matt and Kim Grand 2009

This is just a really fun song and if I am going to be stuck alone for eternity I am going to need some fun music.

Comment

• 27.11 - Run, Snow Patrol (2000's)

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                  "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                  "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• 27.12- Bloody Well Right -Supertramp- 1974

Comment

• 28.01 - Easy Livin-Uriah Heep -1973

Comment

• 28.02 - Mr. Tambourine Man, Bob Dylan (1960's)

And my iPod will have the raw, reproachful Dylan original, not the prettified Byrds cover that strips the emotion out of it.

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                        "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                        "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• 28.03 Twist and Shout - The Beatles Please Please Me 1963

So many songs to choose from by The Beatles, but in the end I love this song and it is from one of my favorite movies growing up (Ferris Bueller) Anyway, it may not be a song written by the Beatles, but man did they nail the voer and there aren't many songs that are more fun than this!

Last edited by frae; 07-28-2011, 04:57 PM.

Comment

• 28.04 No One Knows - The Queens of the Stone Age, 2002

Comment

• Not the Bruce original...one of the great covers ever!!

28.05 - Spirits in the Night - Manfred Mann (Nightengales and Bombers, 1975 Wildcard)

"I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• 28.06 - "Hard to Explain" - The Strokes (Is This It, 2001)

Almost went with something from First Impressions of Earth instead, but this one has always been my favorite of theirs.

Comment

Working...
                                X