No announcement yet.

Exceelent Music You've Heard Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow, I'm embarrassed to say I hadn't heard of her either, or her influence on more well known performers. Thanks for posting this.

Comment

• Yeah, The Rolling Stones' Bridges To Babylon was better than The Verve's Urban Hymns. :facepalm to infinity: Or about 50 other great 90's albums I could name off the top of my head.

God, I hate Rolling Stone. Everyone involved in the creation of their stupid list should be waterboarded until they admit they're aging corporate hipster poseurs who just took Pitchfork's list, rearranged it, and replaced albums by bands they've never heard of with tired, mediocre albums from decades-past-their-prime classic rock artists that they remember fondly from the distant past.

It is a solid list, courtesy of Pitchfork. The Liz Phair album, while not one of the 20 best ever, is a good one. Check it out.
      Last edited by senorsheep; 10-07-2016, 02:55 PM.
      "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
      "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
      "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• I know I've talked up my wife before. If you like her, or jazz singing in general (Nina/Ella/Billie kind of stuff mostly with some blues), she's performing at Lincoln Center in NYC through Sunday and her show tonight is being livestreamed for free. Starts at 7:30 ET/4:30 PT.

Watch Jazz at Lincoln Center's Kim Nalley on Livestream.com. With vocalist Kim Nalley,guitarist Greg Skaff, pianist Tammy Hall, bassist Michael Zisman, and drummer Alvin Atkinson Vocalist Kim Nalley is already being called "legendary" and a "San Francisco institution." Returning to great demand after sold-out runs in Dizzy’s Club Coca-Cola and The Appel Room, Nalley packs a 3 1/2 octave range that can go from operatic to gritty blues on a dime, projection that can whisper a ballad or fill a room without amplification, and the ability to scat blistering solos without losing her intense swing. She has been compared to many of the greats, but in the end, Kim Nalley is her own force of nature.
        In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• Originally posted by mjl View Post
          I know I've talked up my wife before. If you like her, or jazz singing in general (Nina/Ella/Billie kind of stuff mostly with some blues), she's performing at Lincoln Center in NYC through Sunday and her show tonight is being livestreamed for free. Starts at 7:30 ET/4:30 PT.

https://livestream.com/accounts/2112...=1479356708726
          Watching now. Great stuff.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucky View Post

Wound up listening to the Squeeze "Argybargy". Very good stuff. Outstanding musicianship, excellent basslines and vocals, very good songcraft. Didn't like "Go", except for the last 64 or so measures, basically the extended instrumental outro.
            Loved Squeeze. Stumbled across UK Squeeze, their first, and thought I'd found something but didn't know what. Wore out Squeeze Singles, their best stuff from 1978 to 1982. Need to give it a listen again.

Comment

• Originally posted by mjl View Post
              I know I've talked up my wife before. If you like her, or jazz singing in general (Nina/Ella/Billie kind of stuff mostly with some blues), she's performing at Lincoln Center in NYC through Sunday and her show tonight is being livestreamed for free. Starts at 7:30 ET/4:30 PT.

https://livestream.com/accounts/2112...=1479356708726
              Holy crap, that singer, Kim Nalley, is your wife? She is awesome. If they started at 7:30, I can't belive they are still going strong at 10:40, but I'm glad I caught some of it.

Comment

• I just talked to her. She had two shows tonight and apparently they streamed both of them. I was taking care of our daughter and missed most of it, came back and saw a commercial going and thought they were done, but I guess that was just between the shows.
                In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                  Holy crap, that singer, Kim Nalley, is your wife? She is awesome. If they started at 7:30, I can't belive they are still going strong at 10:40, but I'm glad I caught some of it.
                  yeah, it's even more mind-blowing if you've met Mike.

seriously, awesome stuff.
                  It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• My wife has invited some people and at least 4 spaz kids over.

If they keep ruining Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, I'm going to throw a bucket of water on each one. If the jury has at least one hipster, I'll get away with it.
                    people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

• Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Elton John before he became Elton John. Only 1 copy known to exist apparently.
                      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• There's a new Old 97's album out tomorrow. This is currently their best performing single ever.

Performed live on Seth Myers Monday:

Comment

• I am digging this Marty Stuart album - real solid western vibe with some funky psychedelia - When my kids were little we used to put them to bed with cowboy songs and papa lalo from Los Lobos

http://www.npr.org/2017/03/02/517790...ntent=20170305

Comment

• Originally posted by Jefe View Post
                            There's a new Old 97's album out tomorrow. This is currently their best performing single ever.

Performed live on Seth Myers Monday:

http://www.nbc.com/late-night-with-s...th-god/3473277
                            personally I have to say I like Dont Wanna Die In This Town best.
                            "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• I'm not sure what i was doing when I was 16 ... but it wasn't this. I was worried she was going to yawn it seemed so easy.

Her Other stuff here https://www.youtube.com/user/malabar777/videos

Comment

• Lizzo - Worship

people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Working...
                                X