Exceelent Music You've Heard Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
    Yup, that's me to a T. You know me so well.

I think in this case you claiming Pavement and Superchunk are not in the same category really shows your ignorance. Or maybe it's different across the pond. Where I live they are in the same category. There are different perspectives based on where you live and I feel that's something that gets missed by you from time to time. I think this is one of those cases.
    I cannot share the view that Pavement and Superchunk are in the same genre. In any case, whether you like Pavement is neither here nor there. It's of no concern to me. But there's no need to be constantly rude about stuff that doesn't meet your approval. Not everyone shares your taste, it's called respect.

Or if you have to comment negatively ... try and do it with a sense of humour of jest. Unless you just wanna argue and troll. I dunno.

I get that people like Pavement. That's cool but I don't care for them. I was trying to suggest a band that I consider to be really good that aren't as well known. But take it as a slight if you want, I don't really care.
    Yeah that's cool ... awesome ... suggest away ... that's the point of the thread. Just no need to be rude about. No one else is slamming other people's preferences.

Comment

• Okay, a couple of more well-known bands, then back to the obscure.

Oasis. The New Beatles? I don't think so. Maybe the New Herman's Hermits.

The album was (What's the Story) Morning Glory? Just too sappy for my tastes, and so derivative, even though it was a massive hit. There must have been a dozen times when I said to my self that the writer had lifted heavily from another artist. Not enough to lose a copyright suit, but enough to be recognized. And somebody should have told them it is not against British law for a pop/rock band to rock.

My favorite tune, predictably, was Morning Glory, for which they apparently woke up the band. Even it used a Led Zeppelin intro and what sounded to me like an REM riff, it was entertaining. Of course, I am a fan of songs which get the band involved rather than those which rely too heavily on the singer, unless the singer is extraordinary, which this guy really isn't. Otherwise, the album features a lot of pop tunes with weak dynamics and wandering changes. Somebody either had too much or too little music theory in college.

In honesty, I'll say that I may have picked the wrong album. A guy in the office told me their first album is more of a rock album, so I'll give that one a listen.

Coldplay. Blood Rushing to the Head or some damn thing. I thought this was an extraordinary album. The best way I know to describe the songs would be "organic". The instruments and vocals all presented as a cohesive whole, and invoked an emotional response which varied from track to track. The album invited you to listen as intently as you desired, but allowed enjoyment as ambience. I haven't known many albums which permitted this for me.

Sorry, strange review. May need to listen more, but this is what I got the first couple of times through, once at home, once on the road.

Comment

• What's the Story Morning Glory is one of my favorite all time records! I dig every tune on the album and find the songs to be extremely catchy with great melodies and riffs, even if they are "stolen" Their first album is a very, very good record.
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• i can understand someone thinking oasis is derivative. i cannot understand someone thinking oasis is derivative, but coldplay isn't.
          ~ all in all is all we are ~

kc

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
            What's the Story Morning Glory is one of my favorite all time records! I dig every tune on the album and find the songs to be extremely catchy with great melodies and riffs, even if they are "stolen" Their first album is a very, very good record.
            I'll have to give it another listen, then. I will also have to check out the debut disc.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cobain's Ghost View Post
              i can understand someone thinking oasis is derivative. i cannot understand someone thinking oasis is derivative, but coldplay isn't.
              I've only heard the one Coldplay album, so that's only an initial impression based on limited information. Oasis seemed to be so obvious in hitting bands I knew well. I've got another new Coldplay to checkout, so I'll listen carefully.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                I'll have to give it another listen, then. I will also have to check out the debut disc.
                On their 1st album they do a cool rip off of T Rex "Get it On" ! Song is "Cigarettes and Alcohol" and it kicks ass.
                "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

I've only heard the one Coldplay album, so that's only an initial impression based on limited information. Oasis seemed to be so obvious in hitting bands I knew well. I've got another new Coldplay to checkout, so I'll listen carefully.
                  full disclosue - i really like oasis, especially "morning glory."

to my ears, coldplay sounds a lot more like u2 than oasis sounds like the beatles or any other band i've listened to. i don't know that either band is purposefully ripping an older band's sound. rock and roll music has been around for a long time now, it's getting pretty difficult to create a signature sound that's never been heard before.

the "better than the beatles" stuff was just the usual ridiculous hype churned up my the british music press. get that out of your head before you listen again - of course you're going to be underwhelmed if you have the bar set at "better than the beatles."

as for not rocking enough - they weren't aiming for a traditional classic rock sound. like a lot of 90's bands, their recordings were more about production and atmosphere than blistering 70's-style guitar solos.

i hope you'll try it again some time without the expectations and comparisons. just hear it for what it is. i think it's a good record.
                  ~ all in all is all we are ~

kc

Comment

• Originally posted by Cobain's Ghost View Post
                    full disclosue - i really like oasis, especially "morning glory."

to my ears, coldplay sounds a lot more like u2 than oasis sounds like the beatles or any other band i've listened to. i don't know that either band is purposefully ripping an older band's sound. rock and roll music has been around for a long time now, it's getting pretty difficult to create a signature sound that's never been heard before.

the "better than the beatles" stuff was just the usual ridiculous hype churned up my the british music press. get that out of your head before you listen again - of course you're going to be underwhelmed if you have the bar set at "better than the beatles."

as for not rocking enough - they weren't aiming for a traditional classic rock sound. like a lot of 90's bands, their recordings were more about production and atmosphere than blistering 70's-style guitar solos.

i hope you'll try it again some time without the expectations and comparisons. just hear it for what it is. i think it's a good record.
                    I will do that. Stumbling into this wealth of 90s music is giving me the chance to do something I wanted to do before, but which just wasn't practical. I look forward to firing up the old Denon CD deck every afternoon and morning. None of the CDs have cases or paperwork, and many don't suggest the artist or title from the CD itself. I usually play it, then plug it into the computer to see who it was, which is often a surprise.

Comment

I usually play it, then plug it into the computer to see who it was, which is often a surprise.
                      that's a pretty cool way to listen to music.
                      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Nessun Dorma was the theme of the 1990 World Cup in Italy ... the Pavarotti version. Even went to number 1 in the charts, and stayed there fore a while I believe.

Comment

• Train covered Led Zeppelin II

Comment

• Time for the next buzz band! Car Seat Headrest is the brainchild of this kid out of Seattle and they play kind of a throwback indie rock thing - a little Pavement but with more epic arrangements, lots of guitar (a rarity these days). Here's the most radio-friendly off the new album:

Comment

• Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                              Time for the next buzz band! Car Seat Headrest is the brainchild of this kid out of Seattle and they play kind of a throwback indie rock thing - a little Pavement but with more epic arrangements, lots of guitar (a rarity these days). Here's the most radio-friendly off the new album:

Mid-80's REM spliced with The Strokes. Also reminded me a bit if Two Door Cinema Club ... not sure why though.

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                                Man, not a big Duran Duran fan at all but I kind of had no idea how awesome the bass line for Rio is:

It's a great song.

Comment

Working...
                                X