No announcement yet.

Exceelent Music You've Heard Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Jammys celebrates the best in live, improvisational music. Started as an alternative to mainstream award shows, the event has become the premier grassroots music event in the country. The Jammys pays tribute to the musicians who take chances, and whose musicianship is exceptional, original and thrives in a live setting. The best way to illustrate the power of live music is to bring together a diversity of musicians who may have never before performed together." (Amazon editorial)

Wow! Grace's voice, Satch's guitar, and the trumpet blend together so well on this song!

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
      "The Jammys celebrates the best in live, improvisational music. Started as an alternative to mainstream award shows, the event has become the premier grassroots music event in the country. The Jammys pays tribute to the musicians who take chances, and whose musicianship is exceptional, original and thrives in a live setting. The best way to illustrate the power of live music is to bring together a diversity of musicians who may have never before performed together." (Amazon editorial)

Wow! Grace's voice, Satch's guitar, and the trumpet blend together so well on this song!

Excellent!

But just how bad ass is Neil Young that his version still blows this one away!
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Wow! "Titties in Detroit" is my jam!

Comment

• This is good. A "band of drummers."

For those waiting to hear new music from John Dufilho, the second half of 2016 will be as loud and busy as the first half of this year was quiet and still. For a guy with as many musical connections as Dufilho, such a distinction is odd. But the lead...

Last edited by Jefe; 08-11-2016, 04:12 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
            Mid-80's REM spliced with The Strokes. Also reminded me a bit if Two Door Cinema Club ... not sure why though.
            ha, I can hear that. REM is an all time fav, and I absolutely loved the Strokes 2nd cd.
            "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• wish I was there:

Bruce Springsteen - who turns 67 next month - broke his U.S. concert length record tonight at MetLife Stadium in the Meadowlands by hitting the 4-hour mark with.... no breaks. no warmup act. no retreat. no surrender.

#bringonyourwreckingball
              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                I'm the only one around here for whom they would be "new music", but I've been listening to the eponymous "Garbage" album the last couple of days. Good stuff.

I had an opportunity to pick up over a hundred CDs from mostly late 90s early 00s, all at an amazing bargain. Some I had never heard of, like The Offspring, Lords of Acid, the Apples, Explosions in the Sky, Iron & Wine, Blue October, and Bright Eyes. And there was tons of stuff I had heard of but never really listened to.

The goal is to give it all a good listen, educate myself on this era, and see what I really like. Maybe I can join the next draft we have which covers some of this.

So far, I love the Pixies and I think the Garbage was excellent. The Offspring (Smash) was outstanding as well. Lords of Acid was pretty good instrumentally, especially the drummer, except I'm not crazy for those vocal stylings.
                Man, how'd I miss this string of posts? Cool idea, I'd love to be able to try that. Even though the 90's were my formative years, I was mostly getting caught up with the classics (Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Hendrix, other classic rock) and only knew the radio songs from most 90's artists. The only one I have much of an opinion on is Bright Eyes - mostly introspective singer/songwriter type stuff with some amazing lyrics and occasionally some fun melodies. Not sure it'll be your cup of tea but who knows. I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning is a classic album - if you happen upon that one I'd give it a spin.

As for Coldplay, you got to start with their best album for sure. Parachutes is quite good as well and then after that they got a little hit or miss.

Comment

• Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                  Man, how'd I miss this string of posts? Cool idea, I'd love to be able to try that. Even though the 90's were my formative years, I was mostly getting caught up with the classics (Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Hendrix, other classic rock) and only knew the radio songs from most 90's artists. The only one I have much of an opinion on is Bright Eyes - mostly introspective singer/songwriter type stuff with some amazing lyrics and occasionally some fun melodies. Not sure it'll be your cup of tea but who knows. I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning is a classic album - if you happen upon that one I'd give it a spin.

As for Coldplay, you got to start with their best album for sure. Parachutes is quite good as well and then after that they got a little hit or miss.
                  I think Fevers and Mirrors is the best Bright Eyes album, but that's me. Maybe too depressing for some.
                  I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Yeah, I bought that one based on recommendations and it's fine but I don't find myself listening to it too often. IWAIM isn't exactly sunshine and rainbows but there are some brighter melodies and even some Emmylou Harris backing vocals!

Comment

• Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                      Yeah, I bought that one based on recommendations and it's fine but I don't find myself listening to it too often. IWAIM isn't exactly sunshine and rainbows but there are some brighter melodies and even some Emmylou Harris backing vocals!
                      Nothing he writes is happy, that's for sure. I really should give IWAIM another listen. I loved Lifted... but then wasn't drawn to the other stuff. I hate to sound like that old grumpy guy but I liked his earlier stuff better.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• I love the washed out vocals pushed up way too high. She's awesome.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• I am going to see Ben Folds and a Piano tour tonight. It should be mellow and enjoyable.

Heres a setlist from last nights show

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/ben-fo...-33fd80b1.html

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                            I am going to see Ben Folds and a Piano tour tonight. It should be mellow and enjoyable.

Heres a setlist from last nights show

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/ben-fo...-33fd80b1.html
                            Have a great time!

Mrs. Gregg and I are going to see Alice Cooper tomorrow night. After seeing him with the Hollywood Vampires I have no doubt it will be a good show.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                              Have a great time!

Mrs. Gregg and I are going to see Alice Cooper tomorrow night. After seeing him with the Hollywood Vampires I have no doubt it will be a good show.
                              Fun fun fun! If you ever liked Alice Cooper music, and get a chance to see him you will not be disappointed. He still sounds great and brought with him a very tight band.

He was so good he almost took the stink off of the rancid Meatloaf we saw last time at this theater.

Comment

• pretty funny for you music snobs

http://www.thecurrent.org/feature/20...ide-and-apple-

and the station is an interesting station to stream - I listen daily in my classroom

Comment

Working...
                                X