Official Sexual Harrassment Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
    What an epic straw man argument. Who suggested that doing the right thing wasn't worth doing? That's a pretty self righteous suggestion there.

Clearly you do. And those who fanatically back the GOP "see" what they are doing as right regardless of their past history as well, which is just as asinine.

The point was that both sides pointing fingers across the aisle serves no purpose. You still seem to be missing that.
    You have an odd need to try to make these little discussions personal...I'm not sure I'm the right person to help you with that. But good luck!
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
      my opinion - his tenure is simply coincidental to the movement
      I don't believe it is coincidental. I also don't think he deserves "credit". His own shady past is involved in this. People are speaking up more about harrasment.

So he's "responsible" for the change, in much the same way that terrorists are "responsible" for us being more vigilant and careful about safety.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
        I'm not sure I'm the right person to help you with that. But good luck!
        No "help" needed, thanks!

Comment

• Latest accused: Hall of Famer Warren Moon

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
            my opinion - his tenure is simply coincidental to the movement to make elected officials (and everyone, really) become more accountable for how they treat their constituents, employees, coworkers, etc.

And I also think that it's important to observe how people (political parties, private companies, individuals, etc) respond to this movement. Some are trying to further bury things under the carpet, others are trying to support changes to out the offending parties. The response isn't uniform.
            I agree with this. It's disappointing that the GOP is still acting the way it is, and it's disappointing that it took the recent events for the Dems to take the positions they are now taking. Everyone was ok with Conyers until it became too much of a PR liability. The cynic would conclude that each party is taking the positions they are taking just because they think that will win them the most votes and power. Regardless, it does seem like progress is being made for the most part.
            ---------------------------------------------
            Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
            ---------------------------------------------
            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
              I agree with this. It's disappointing that the GOP is still acting the way it is, and it's disappointing that it took the recent events for the Dems to take the positions they are now taking. Everyone was ok with Conyers until it became too much of a PR liability. The cynic would conclude that each party is taking the positions they are taking just because they think that will win them the most votes and power. Regardless, it does seem like progress is being made for the most part.
              Call me a cynic..............
              especially when he endorses his son for the seat...... yeah that is a really good move and provides one with a great amount of confidence. Nepotism anyone??
              It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
              Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• It would have been interesting to see what Franken would have done if the MN governor wasn't a Democrat. That makes is a whole heck of lot easier to resign knowing a Democrat will be placed in your seat when the voting margin is so close.

As for Conyers and a Republican governor in Michigan...the margin is so vast, that one seat makes little difference.

Less than two weeks ago, Nancy Pelosi was calling Conyers an icon, so yes, this is all about PR and liability to the party. As I stated earlier, I would hope that if/when Moore gets elected he would resign immediately...again, it's about party first!
                "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

• This discussion certainly should not be personal. I think we can all agree on what is acceptable and not acceptable from a sexual harassment side of things.

As I mentioned in my earlier post there is enough evil to go around for everyone. Money and Power have always been used to get sex. It is not surprising. It appears the time is right to do something about it.

Next up save the sex slaves.

Comment

• Latest accused: Rep. Trent Franks of Arizona, who resigned from Congress today

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                      Latest accused: Rep. Trent Franks of Arizona, who resigned from Congress today
                      Just to be fair, he's a Republican, who did the wrong thing(s), but now is doing the right thing.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                        Just to be fair, he's a Republican, who did the wrong thing(s), but now is doing the right thing.
                        He isn’t doing the right thing as much as he was told by Paul Ryan to resign or he’d face an embarrassing ethics investigation. The evidence was apparently heavy and he was cooked. And he isn’t a loss as the balance of the house isn’t in play. But, then again neither is Conyers or Franken as niether will impact any votes. But I think Franken stepping down is a high price to “reclaim the moral high ground” and the Dems will regret it in the long term. The whole Moore outrage ( the outrage is appropriate ) is just three dimensional chess by Senate Dems to the balance of the Senate back in play. Moore will get elected and MvConnel will make him step down. The Alabama GOP Gov will appoint Luther Strange again and hold another special election. No party has the moral high ground.
                        Last edited by Bernie Brewer; 12-07-2017, 10:02 PM.
                        I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Just got back from vacation, did I miss anything in this long thread?
                          "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
                            He isn’t doing the right thing as much as he was told by Paul Ryan to resign or he’d face an embarrassing ethics investigation. The evidence was apparently heavy and he was cooked. And he isn’t a loss as the balance of the house isn’t in play. But, then again neither is Conyers or Franken as niether will impact any votes. But I think Franken stepping down is a high price to “reclaim the moral high ground” and the Dems will regret it in the long term. The whole Moore outrage ( the outrage is appropriate ) is just three dimensional chess by Senate Dems to the balance of the Senate back in play. Moore will get elected and MvConnel will make him step down. The Alabama GOP Gov will appoint Luther Strange again and hold another special election. No party has the moral high ground.
                            Didn't the Moore pedophilia scandal break prior to the the Franken groping scandal? You're making it sound as though the Moore "outrage" was a reaction to the Franken situation.
                            If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

• Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
                              Didn't the Moore pedophilia scandal break prior to the the Franken groping scandal? You're making it sound as though the Moore "outrage" was a reaction to the Franken situation.
                              I didn’t say that. If anything the Moore thing accelerated the Franken thing, because Republicans tried to make into something it wasn’t. They tried and succeeded in making it some sort of flawed false equivalency between Franken and Moore. There is no equivalence. The Dems reluctantly ceased on the GOPs false equivalence on Franken and Conyers because they could use it to their party’s political advantage. Lose Franken, no harm. Lose Conyers, no big deal. Ryan just did the same with Franks. Hold your nose and suddenly Moore is worth fighting for so long as the GOP keeps controls the Senate. If, big if, he wins, he’ll never be seated, I wish it weren’t so, but this is politics and politics sucks.
                              I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
                                I'd have to respectfully disagree with Franken's resignation being a high price to pay for the "moral high ground"...these allegations were NOT going to stop, IMO. He's been a public figure for over 3 decades now, as he said, he's taken thousands of photos with people, and I'm guessing that this was just the tip of the iceberg in terms of allegations. Is a part of the outcry by colleagues political in nature? You're absolutely spot on with that, but it doesn't change the fact that that this is now a movement that has momentum that probably won't be stopped.

As far as the power that McConnell wields, I'm not convinced that it's as strong as you think that it is. I suspect that now that Trump, the Party, and McConnell himself endorsing Moore, he may be a thorn in their sides that can't be removed so easily. I'm kind of convinced a better strategy for the GOP would have been to keep distanced from Trump and any endorsement of Moore, and let Jones control the seat for the short time that's left. I realize that would make the majority razor thin in the Senate, but I don't know that Moore is going to be a lot of help there either.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                                X