Official Sexual Harrassment Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
    His statement was that the finger pointing on both sides is infuriating so you refute that by pointing fingers at one side and ignore the other? Seems like you... made his point?
    Thanks Ken for reading my entire post and understanding it. How can one not understand this part:

However, if his tenure in office makes our elected officials become accountable for treating those they REPRESENT with more respect - then that is a good thing. For my part, just more reasons for me not to support either major party.

Please forgive - it seems that JFK may have had a consensual extra-marital affair rather than actually harassment.
    It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
    Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
      The thing that you're not seeing, IMO, is that progress is being made on the issue. Do you want to be on the side of history that Roy Moore, Donald Trump, and the GOP are on? One that endorses tribal politics over doing what's right? Victimizing the victims all over again? Do you want to make forward progress on yet another front, Woman's issues? Civil rights, Gay rights, and now Woman's rights have all come in the last 50 years or so, and they've come because people confronted their history and said "no, we've had enough of that, there's a better way."

So I don't give a crap what's happened in the past, other than to learn from it...look forward to the future, and do what's right, not what's expedient.
      So...you’re saying only people who support the GOP are “tribal?” And everyone else is on the right “side of history?” Actually, after writing a much longer post, I just noticed Ken wrote my thoughts much more eloquently and succinctly.
      Last edited by Bernie Brewer; 12-07-2017, 10:05 AM.
      I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
        So...you’re saying only people who support the GOP are “tribal?” And everyone else is on the “right side of history?” Actually, after writing a much longer post, I just noticed Ken wrote my thoughts much more eloquently and succinctly.
        Sometimes people cant get past the word/name Clinton and just get triggered.
        It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
          Please forgive - it seems that JFK may have had a consensual extra-marital affair rather than actually harassment.
          I’d say it’s pretty clear that MM was in a consensual relationship. But, it’s also pretty well documented that JFK used the power of his wealth and political station to coerce women into compromising sexual activities. Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. And that isn’t intended to be directed at JFK or just Democratic Presidents. Just look at the current incumbent.
          Last edited by Bernie Brewer; 12-07-2017, 10:20 AM.
          I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• [QUOTE=Bernie Brewer;290898]I’d say it’s pretty clear that MM was in a consensual relationship. But, it’s also pretty well documented that JFK used the power of his wealth and political station to coerce women into compromising sexual activities. Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.[/QUOTE

MM also had some power of her own that she was not afraid to use.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Gregg;290899]
              Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
              I’d say it’s pretty clear that MM was in a consensual relationship. But, it’s also pretty well documented that JFK used the power of his wealth and political station to coerce women into compromising sexual activities. Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.[/QUOTE

MM also had some power of her own that she was not afraid to use.
              Agreed. Power comes in many forms. But, she obviously could not reconcile where her power began and ended and where the power of others over her made her into someone with whom she could not live. As the man in funny glasses once so eloquently sang “Your candle burned out long before your legend ever did”
              Last edited by Bernie Brewer; 12-07-2017, 10:29 AM.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

... This bullshit has been going on for decades and honestly I dont think any of this come to light if Trump is in office.
                (I assume you meant that it wouldn't have come to light if he wasn't in office) ... This is an interesting claim which I confess to not understanding ... can you explain how his being in office has enabled women to speak out against their harassers? I personally don't see how Trump has anything to do with it ... it seems to me to have been triggered by the initial Weinstein allegations & spiraled from there.
                It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• This all started with the hot mic - grab em by the pussy comment...... Once people started talking about that, in my mind, women started speaking out more about how this shit happens more than we realize. SO now we have a fairly long line of men that are now apparently being held accountable in a very public way for apparent past indiscretions.

I could be completely wrong in my assessment. I will repeat what I said earlier though:
                  …if his tenure in office makes our elected officials become accountable for treating those they REPRESENT with more respect - then that is a good thing. For my part, just more reasons for me not to support either major party.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                    His statement was that the finger pointing on both sides is infuriating so you refute that by pointing fingers at one side and ignore the other? Seems like you... made his point?
                    Certainly your right to see it that way, I stand by the fact that doing the right this is ALWAYS worth doing. And I see the Dems doing what's right, regardless of past history.

This is for Bernie..right now, I don't see how anyone can look at the GOP and not say it's simply tribal politics when McConnell, and the GOP have totally reversed their stances regarding Moore. I've been calling for Franken to resign since Tweeden made her accusations, and now virtually the entire Democratic party is calling for Franken to resign. This after doing the same with Conyers...

And for BG...this movement started with Weinstein, no question. Trump was elected well after the tape surfaced and after many allegations against him...
                    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                    -Warren Ellis

Comment

And for BG...this movement started with Weinstein, no question. Trump was elected well after the tape surfaced and after many allegations against him...
                      Are you sure?? There are plenty of instances where people made jokes on TV, movies or award shows about Weinstein. It went on for what some say is decades.... He was getting essentially the same pass that Clinton was getting.

Honestly I dont care what has initiated this - what we are finding is that neither party has clean hands here and really the DNC and RNC are really only concerned with chair counts and raising money.

Comment

• Franken resigns...
                        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                        -Warren Ellis

Comment

• and there goes the Dems VP candidate... It is sad.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Bernie Brewer;290900]
                            Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                            Agreed. Power comes in many forms. But, she obviously could not reconcile where her power began and ended and where the power of others over her made her into someone with whom she could not live. As the man in funny glasses once so eloquently sang “Your candle burned out long before your legend ever did”
                            She wielded her power to get into the business and long before she meet the Kennedy's.

Comment

Certainly your right to see it that way, I stand by the fact that doing the right this is ALWAYS worth doing.
                              What an epic straw man argument. Who suggested that doing the right thing wasn't worth doing? That's a pretty self righteous suggestion there.

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                              And I see the Dems doing what's right, regardless of past history.
                              Clearly you do. And those who fanatically back the GOP "see" what they are doing as right regardless of their past history as well, which is just as asinine.

The point was that both sides pointing fingers across the aisle serves no purpose. You still seem to be missing that.

Comment

... …if his tenure in office makes our elected officials become accountable for treating those they REPRESENT with more respect - then that is a good thing. For my part, just more reasons for me not to support either major party.
                                my opinion - his tenure is simply coincidental to the movement to make elected officials (and everyone, really) become more accountable for how they treat their constituents, employees, coworkers, etc.

And I also think that it's important to observe how people (political parties, private companies, individuals, etc) respond to this movement. Some are trying to further bury things under the carpet, others are trying to support changes to out the offending parties. The response isn't uniform.
                                It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Working...
                                X