Official Sexual Harrassment Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
    I'd have to respectfully disagree with Franken's resignation being a high price to pay for the "moral high ground"...these allegations were NOT going to stop, IMO. He's been a public figure for over 3 decades now, as he said, he's taken thousands of photos with people, and I'm guessing that this was just the tip of the iceberg in terms of allegations. Is a part of the outcry by colleagues political in nature? You're absolutely spot on with that, but it doesn't change the fact that that this is now a movement that has momentum that probably won't be stopped.

As far as the power that McConnell wields, I'm not convinced that it's as strong as you think that it is. I suspect that now that Trump, the Party, and McConnell himself endorsing Moore, he may be a thorn in their sides that can't be removed so easily. I'm kind of convinced a better strategy for the GOP would have been to keep distanced from Trump and any endorsement of Moore, and let Jones control the seat for the short time that's left. I realize that would make the majority razor thin in the Senate, but I don't know that Moore is going to be a lot of help there either.
    I think that Franken was/is one of the most effective voices fighting Trump. He certainly weilded his bully club as it came to judicial appointments, the DOJ and (ironically) very effectively with Jeff Sessions. I suppose someone on the left will fill the void but Franken kicked Sessions ass regularly.

As for your second paragraph, I agree. That’s what the GOP should’ve done. It they can’t pass a bill with a two vote margin. Dropping to a one vote margin with several iffy votes (Murkowski, McCain, Collins, Johnson, Corker and Flake, etc.) McConnell couldn’t risk it.
    Last edited by Bernie Brewer; 12-08-2017, 08:45 AM.
    I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Quick, someone name a piece of legislation McConnell has passed. Or, take your time. He is a one-trick pony. Obstruction.
      If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

• Latest accused: GOP Rep. Blake Farenthold, former Democratic Senator Harold Ford, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
          I think that Franken was/is one of the most effective voices fighting Trump. He certainly weilded his bully club as it came to judicial appointments, the DOJ and (ironically) very effectively with Jeff Sessions. I suppose someone on the left will fill the void but Franken kicked Sessions ass regularly.

As for your second paragraph, I agree. That’s what the GOP should’ve done. It they can’t pass a bill with a two vote margin. Dropping to a one vote margin with several iffy votes (Murkowski, McCain, Collins, Johnson, Corker and Flake, etc.) McConnell couldn’t risk it.
          Good point about his effectiveness poking Sessions (maybe that's a poor choice of words), but my fear is that in the future, had Franken remained, he'd lose pretty much all of that gravitas that he built up because of the accusations against him.

But it's going to be a circus around here in 2018...the trifecta is now up for grabs in Minnesota...both Senate seats and the Governors job. It's gonna be ugly...

Just heard a couple of interesting names tossed about. Former Governor Tim Pawlenty, a moderate Republican, and Alan Page, now retired State Supreme Court justice and an NFL Hall of Famer.
          Last edited by Hornsby; 12-08-2017, 09:12 AM. Reason: Additional Info...
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Jesse is not going to come back will he?
            It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
            Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
              Moore will get elected and MvConnel will make him step down. The Alabama GOP Gov will appoint Luther Strange again and hold another special election
              Can anyone make Moore step down (assuming he wins)? I have heard that he would be forced to give up the seat but other places I have heard he cannot be forced out without going through an ethics probe. So if he doesn't want to step down, which I doubt he will do voluntarily, he will be there for a while.

Comment

• He could be "forced" out by just resigning after his assumed win.
                It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by dslaw View Post
                  Can anyone make Moore step down (assuming he wins)? I have heard that he would be forced to give up the seat but other places I have heard he cannot be forced out without going through an ethics probe. So if he doesn't want to step down, which I doubt he will do voluntarily, he will be there for a while.
                  I think you're right he could "fight" any effort to shame him out of office, but in the long run, if 2/3rds of the Senate agreed to expel him they could. One wonders what the Dems would do then? Would they vote with presumably the GOP Senators, or would they obstruct just to make the GOP wallow in their own slime.

Also, Moore would only serve the until January of 2021, the remainder of Session's term.

How Senate Republicans could kick Roy Moore Out of the Senate
                  Last edited by Bernie Brewer; 12-08-2017, 02:09 PM.
                  I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Oh, wake up. The GOP won’t condemn him on television. Why does anyone think they will actually vote to expel him.
                    If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

• Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
                      Oh, wake up. The GOP won’t condemn him on television. Why does anyone think they will actually vote to expel him.
                      Your cynicism during the holiday season is unfortunate...be prepared to have three visitors in the middle of the night to change your spirit.

I have hope that if/when Moore is elected the pressure will be so great that you'll see Republicans calling him out. They need him to hold the seat and then have the governor replace him.

I think Trump is the only one who is teflon with this issue.
                      "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                      - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                      - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

• Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
                        Your cynicism during the holiday season is unfortunate...be prepared to have three visitors in the middle of the night to change your spirit.

Someone's been a little bit salty lately! Nipping at the holiday schnapps a little early, perhaps! But, hey, I don't pretend to be Chancellor, offering the eloquent counter-perspectives, but, I'm trying! Gosh, I miss Chance!

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Ghosts of Cosby, Weinstein, & Moore?

Comment

I have hope that if/when Moore is elected the pressure will be so great that you'll see Republicans calling him out. They need him to hold the seat and then have the governor replace him.

They did call Moore out...and now they flipped and are calling for his election. Romney and Flake rebuked him the strongest, and are suffering the wrath of Lil' Donnie...Trump is begging Hatch to run again so that Mitt doesn't have a shot at his Senate seat.
                            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                            -Warren Ellis

Comment

I could be mistaken. It might have been my imagination, for example, that Mitch McConnell, as soon as the tax bill was approved by the Senate, flip flopped on his previous condemnation of Moore to say the people of Alabama decide.

The collective noun for Roy Moore supporters? "Moore-ons".

Comment

• i feel like the title of this thread is urging me to sexually harass or catcall other RJ members.

'Want to sexually harass or catcall other members? Keep it in this thread (forum)'.

Comment

Working...
                                X