• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
    This might gotten lost with other posts

but

"change the system" is about as vague as "make america great again"

You are full of ideas - how about 5 simple ones that every person should do!
    LOL was just answering this--I actually thought quite a bit about this and discussed it with a friend for over an hour. I wasn't avoiding it, it's just that THIS was an excellent question and I appreciate the opportunity to discuss this more at length whenever you'd like.
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
      Well I thought it was pretty election specific, sure Change the system can have many meanings, but this use was particularly meant to indict our electroral system.

Things are never simple, but I am full of ideas.

1. Expect more. More from ourselves, those around us and absolutely from those who represent us.

2. Expect people to be accountable and advocate serious consequence for those transgress ethical barriers.

3. Figure out if you're really in support of a government of the people, by the people, for the people, and find ways to make our democracy representative for everyone.

4 If you're an American Citizen you are automatically registered to vote and make election day a national holiday.

5 Eliminate Super Pacs and require that every donation to a candidate has a real person attached to it, no more anonymous donors.

I can go on if you'd like.
      thinking is excellent- I appreciate the ideas

I am just get stuck on the how to make these things happen

like number 2 - we have a president elect who has little concern for ethics etc. - how can we the average person insure serious consequence?

or how do we start to make democracy representative of everyone?

4 - shouldnt be that tough
      5 - might be tough to convince current (and even future legislators) to change things

and 2 - I encourage accountability everyday from my 13 year old students and get a lot of pushback from them, parents and even administrators - but have made it my personal goal for them to understand their own actions

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
        thinking is excellent- I appreciate the ideas

I am just get stuck on the how to make these things happen

like number 2 - we have a president elect who has little concern for ethics etc. - how can we the average person insure serious consequence?

or how do we start to make democracy representative of everyone?

4 - shouldnt be that tough
        5 - might be tough to convince current (and even future legislators) to change things

and 2 - I encourage accountability everyday from my 13 year old students and get a lot of pushback from them, parents and even administrators - but have made it my personal goal for them to understand their own actions
        I never meant to infer any of this change would be easy or painless.

As for accountability--I'm sure you're familiar with what my daughter went through about 2 years ago--she finally get's it--takes a while and it's tricky--the balance between being tough and being understanding is a fine line.

We both managed to get through it, but I honestly hope I never have to do that again.

With others, I simply state my expectations and the consequences connected with those and if they give a shit, we stay close, if not--well fortunately i have a few great friends who never let me down. the rest I consider acquaintances.

Seriously, the systems are all screwed up and I believe we owe it to ourselves , our families and society in general to do what we can, no matter how small, to move in the direction of positive change.
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• The best part about the recount is that Jill Stein is going to pay roughly half the money for costs, and the other half to buttress Scott Walker's budget. Such irony is simply wonderful.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
            The best part about the recount is that Jill Stein is going to pay roughly half the money for costs, and the other half to buttress Scott Walker's budget. Such irony is simply wonderful.
            Hey, welcome back!
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
              Hey, welcome back!
              Thanks much!

Comment

Thanks much!
                Seriously, welcome back--

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                  Seriously, welcome back--
                  Thanks. It's strange being back given my history of six-month vacations after elections.

Comment

Thanks. It's strange being back given my history of six-month vacations after elections.
                    Yeah, I wish you would stop that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                      Yeah, I wish you would stop that.
                      Hey, I changed my MO this time to only two months before the election. But, admittedly, only because Jason banned GITH's and my election year bet.

Comment

Hey, I changed my MO this time to only two months before the election. But, admittedly, only because Jason banned GITH's and my election year bet.

But THIS year we would have been betting against the same person...........

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                        X