No announcement yet.

Beatles song draft II signup/discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other than the "Hits, I find Let It Be full of so-so songs. Across the Universe included.
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
      I like the fact noone is posting videos to accompany the songs ... we've all heard them a million times (apart from Mith of course ) ... plus makes the draft thread nice and easy to load on mobile.
      Not every Beatles song is worth listening to more than a few times! They're no Zeppelin now!!!
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• I always get amused at how most of you in these drafts like the same songs and I am so different.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheGaffer View Post
          The early run of Harrison songs confirms that when he did get 'em on the albums, they were among the best of them.

His solo career confirms that this supply was limited...
          All Things Must Pass is amazingly consistent for an album with that many songs on it. Of course, many of them were written for the Beatles but not used since John and Paul limited him to two songs per album. (Famously, the title track was supposed to be on Let It Be, but no one was happy with any of the takes.) I know very little about the rest of his output, but he didn't have an album as commercially or critically successful until Cloud Nine in 1987.
          Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
          We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
            Other than the "Hits, I find Let It Be full of so-so songs. Across the Universe included.
            By contrast, if I never hear Let it Be (or for that matter Hey Jude) ever again, I won't be upset. Those songs have been so overplayed. The "other one" I still like, and Get back is a great tune.

Life must suck when "Let it Be" is one of your "worst albums"

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
              Other than the "Hits, I find Let It Be full of so-so songs. Across the Universe included.
              Judging from the Let It Be documentary, all the Beatles except Paul agreed with you.

I happen to enjoy it very much. It doesn't wow me like Abbey Road, Sgt. Pepper, the White Album and Revolver do, but, aside from the tracks that Phil Spector overorchestrated, it's got an understated charm about it that rewards multiple listenings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                Judging from the Let It Be documentary, all the Beatles except Paul agreed with you.

I happen to enjoy it very much. It doesn't wow me like Abbey Road, Sgt. Pepper, the White Album and Revolver do, but, aside from the tracks that Phil Spector overorchestrated, it's got an understated charm about it that rewards multiple listenings.
                A friend of mine absolutely loves Let it Be so I like to give him some crap about it

Comment

Let It Be... Naked redeemed these songs for me. It might be the best album re-release ever.
                  "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                  "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                  "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Swampy says it will be about an hour before he can post a pick.

I like Let It Be ... Naked a lot as well.

Comment

Swampy says it will be about an hour before he can post a pick.

I like Let It Be ... Naked a lot as well.
                      He just posted in another thread!!

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                        Let It Be... Naked redeemed these songs for me. It might be the best album re-release ever.
                        I always loved the Glyn Johns version of "Let It Be", so much more sparse and natural than the Spector abomination. It was only available as a ROIO, so I was tickled to see "Naked" released. It wasn't as rough and natural as Johns' but close.

McCartney hated Let It Be...it was everything he didn't want in the album...while Lennon defended Spector's wretched excess. I think Lennon only did that because McCartney hated it so much. Lennon couldn't have really liked that dross.

Comment

• Crap, missed the boat on this one. Have fun - I'll be following along and blasting whoever takes "Nowhere Man"

Comment

• Non-Beatles songs performed by John, Paul, George or Ringo are now allowed to be picked.

Comment

Non-Beatles songs performed by John, Paul, George or Ringo are now allowed to be picked.
                              Yoko songs on Double Fantasy - eligible or no? Discuss.
                              "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                              "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                              "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• major arrgh on You Never Give Me Your Money

Comment

Working...
                                X