Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
    Blackbird?

I have listened to that twice in my life, maybe. Not sure how it even goes.
    You haven't listened to the White Album 3x? Wow
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Blackbird?

Last edited by senorsheep; 10-20-2015, 04:48 PM.
      "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
      "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
      "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Blackbird?

Wow. In addition to three or four dozen bands I've seen in clubs, here is a partial list of recording artists who have covered "Blackbird" on albums they have released commercially:

Crosby, Stills & Nash
        John Denver
        Neil Diamond
        Jose Feliciano
        The Guess Who
        Herbie Hancock
        Bobby McFerrin
        Sarah McLachlan
        Phish

In addition, the following have been known to cover the song on tour:

Foo Fighters
        Grateful Dead
        U2
        Neil Young
        Dave Matthews Band

I left off a lot of obscure people. It's a pretty well known song. When people learn to finger pick guitar, the first song they are taught is "Blackbird".

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
          Gregg, why aren't you in this?
          Too busy at work.

Add to that their body of work hasn't held up well for me. Maybe it was because I heard them soooo many times.

There might be 6-8 songs that I would still listen to today. My first pick would have been While my Guitar Gently Weeps.

You all have fun. I will wait for the next one.

Comment

Sweet pick with Paperback Writer. I guess if I can't have it, it's only right that it should go to the bass player.

The "Frère Jacques" chorus is one those little moments of clever inspiration that I never tire of hearing.
            "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
            "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Comment

Revolution and Day Tripper were in consideration for my next pick.
              Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
              We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                When people learn to finger pick guitar, the first song they are taught is "Blackbird".
                This.

Comment

Right decision. WMGGW would have been long gone, never made it back to you. So you got both your prize picks. Good play.

Not that Strawberry Fields isn't just as good, it's that the market for superlative Harrison compositions (with Clapton solos) is very thin.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                    Man, Strawberry Fields is such a unique, awesome song. This draft is awesome.
                    It's the most brilliant experimental piece Lennon ever did. It might be the most brilliant experimental piece anybody ever did, in terms of trying things in the studio that had never been tried before.

I love the treatment they gave it on the anthology, showing the progression through the various incarnations. That alone makes the anthology worth owning.

Lennon's finest Beatles moment is also Ringo's finest Beatles moment, IMO. This track is loaded with inventive drum fills that compliment the song perfectly.

They're all great on this track. There's something new to love at every turn.

Comment

• Was hoping Revolution would slip a bit further. Was also looking at Blackbird, Day Tripper and Paperback Writer with my second pick. Not surprised to see them all go at once.

Strawberry Fields is one of those songs that was spoiled for me by a really bad cover. This crime against music is what I see and hear when I imagine this song. I'm sorry for doing this.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                        Strawberry Fields is one of those songs that was spoiled for me by a really bad cover. This crime against music is what I see and hear when I imagine this song. I'm sorry for doing this.
                        Well, then don't listen to this:

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                          Eleanor Rigby is the absolute quintessence of loneliness.

Eleanor Rigby died in the church and was buried along with her name
                          Nobody came
                          Father McKenzie wiping the dirt from his hands as he walks from the grave
                          No one was saved

Jesus, it could make me cry just reading those words.
                          Definitely not too early for this one. And, yeah, it is just crushing.

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                            It's the most brilliant experimental piece Lennon ever did. It might be the most brilliant experimental piece anybody ever did, in terms of trying things in the studio that had never been tried before.

I love the treatment they gave it on the anthology, showing the progression through the various incarnations. That alone makes the anthology worth owning.

Lennon's finest Beatles moment is also Ringo's finest Beatles moment, IMO. This track is loaded with inventive drum fills that compliment the song perfectly.

They're all great on this track. There's something new to love at every turn.
                            Excellent comment of the Anthology. You can just sit and listen that that over and over, hearing how pop magic is created.

Comment

• Damn, I was actually starting to think my #2 'Strawberry Fields' would make it back.
                              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• I Want You and Eleanor Rigby are both super picks here.

I saw Gov't Mule at a tiny venue a few years ago, and toward the end of one of their signature songs they suddenly broke into I Want You and the place went absolutely nuts. They played the hell out of it, too.

Eleanor Rigby showed even more versatility, and that the Beatles could continue to push the envelope and have No. 1 hits with unusual songs.

Comment

Working...
                                X