No announcement yet.

Beatles song draft II signup/discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know, I'm not expecting him to hit all the notes of every song anymore. However, he has such a vast catalog, so you'd think he'd pick something a little less challenging for a national TV broadcast.
    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
      I'm not the worlds greatest Macca fan to say the least, but the dude is 73 years old
      You probably explained this before, but what is it with the nicknames of famous people...McCartney becomes Macca, etc.? Are there a lot of super famous people there named McCartney so that Paul has to be differentiated with an odd moniker?

We have nicknames for performers, too, like "Ol' Blue Eyes", but not so much a forced play on their names. Like "Jocko". I never understood that one either.
      Last edited by ; 10-22-2015, 09:17 AM.

Comment

• The two other available songs that I was considering in the 3rd are still there, so I'll get at least one of them. Bully.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucky View Post
          You probably explained this before, but what is it with the nicknames of famous people...McCartney becomes Macca, etc.? Are there a lot of super famous people there named McCartney so that Paul has to be differentiated with an odd moniker?

We have nicknames for performers, too, like "Ol' Blue Eyes", but not so much a forced play on their names. Like "Jocko". I never understood that one either.
          I just read the McCartney bio, so that was a nickname of his from grade school, and not a media-concocted shortening, a la "Jacko" and "Madge". Although "Macca" may have started that trend!

Comment

• Nice pick with "RAIN". Excellent tune.

Also really like "She came in..."
            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• My 3rd round pick was between Get Back, Taxman and Rain.

Comment

• Taxman and Rain were on my very short list for this round.

"She came in through the bathroom window" has to be one of the best opening lines in rock. Joe Cocker knocks me out when he does it.

What are some of your favorite Beatle covers? I'd have to list Wilson Pickett doing Hey Jude with Duane Allman on guitar.
                Last edited by ; 10-22-2015, 11:06 AM.

Comment

What are some of your favorite Beatle covers? I'd have to list Wilson Pickett doing Hey Jude with Duane Allman on guitar.
                  Love Pickett's version of "Hey Jude."

This might be sacrilege, but I like Elton John's version of LSD better than the Beatles.

Comment

• "Happiness.." was on my short list for last round....
                    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Taxman and Rain were on my very short list for this round.

"She came in through the bathroom window" has to be one of the best opening lines in rock. Joe Cocker knocks me out when he does it.

I can't name any Beatles covers I ever listened to, except Joe Cocker and Elton John...hmmmm...

Comment

• Favorite Beatle covers:

Joe Cocker, She Came in through the Bathroom Window and With a Little Help from My Friends

Pearl Jam, You've Got to Hide Your Love Away and I've Got a Feeling

Phish, While My Guitar Gently Weeps (They covered the entire White Album on 10/31/94; this was the standout and has remained in their live sets.)

Aerosmith, Come Together

Yes, I'm Down

Fiona Apple, Across the Universe

CSN, Blackbird

Umphrey's McGee, I Want You (She's So Heavy)

Richie Havens, Here Comes the Sun

Jimi Hendrix, Day Tripper

Husker Du, Helter Skelter

The Jam, And Your Bird Can Sing

Stevie Wonder, We Can Work It Out

Comment

Listening, I want a drummer who can provide dynamics to complement the soundscape. Too many drummers know only two settings...fast and loud. Ringo was so underrated because he was never flashy, but he provided just exactly what the band needed. He was a total professional behind the kit, and someone I have grown to respect more over the years. He probably didn't get as much respect as he should have at the time because of his persona off-stage.
                          I'll go even a little further in praise of Ringo's drumming, because he was asked to drum for a style of music that literally didn't exist before his band mates created it. There was no template for how to drum for Strawberry Fields Forever. He just sat down and innovated new a style of weird backward fills and such that complimented what the geniuses in the room were inventing. Plus, he really didn't have a George Martin figure to guide him, because George Martin admittedly didn't have the same knowledge and interest in drumming that he did for other instruments.

His contributions certainly weren't as spectacular as the those from the rest of the group, but I tend to think that most rock drummers circa 1966 wouldn't have fared quite so well in his shoes.

Rain is another good Ringo drum track.
                          "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                          "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                          "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                            I'll go even a little further in praise of Ringo's drumming, because he was asked to drum for a style of music that literally didn't exist before his band mates created it. There was no template for how to drum for Strawberry Fields Forever. He just sat down and innovated new a style of weird backward fills and such that complimented what the geniuses in the room were inventing. Plus, he really didn't have a George Martin figure to guide him, because George Martin admittedly didn't have the same knowledge and interest in drumming that he did for other instruments.

His contributions certainly weren't as spectacular as the those from the rest of the group, but I tend to think that most rock drummers circa 1966 wouldn't have fared quite so well in his shoes.

Rain is another good Ringo drum track.
                            Absolutely right on every count. And I meant to mention that Tomorrow Never Knows was such a great song in large part because of the brilliant drum pattern and bass line relentlessly laid down by Ringo and Paul, pushing the song through through the mind-blowing lyrics and tape loops.

Hard Day's Night was still there, yes, but this isn't a Wham! draft. There are still lots of killer tracks out there, both Beatles and non-Beatles. The hardest call is which pool to pull from next!

Comment

Hard Day's Night was still there, yes, but this isn't a Wham! draft.
                              Lost me on that one.
                              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                                Lost me on that one.
                                It was just a careless whisper on his part.

Comment

Working...
                                X