Beatles song draft II signup/discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
    Music has been an extremely important part of my life. It brings me endless hours of joy. I believe others who participate in the drafts feel the same. It's fun to find others who share that passion and discuss our mutual love of music!
    Well now you're going to get quoted in Lucky's research paper.
    Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• Help and Ticket to Ride are IMO two of the three best pre-Rubber Soul Beatles tracks. The third one hasn't been taken yet.
      Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
      We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Let's go!!
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• I PM'd Lucky last night and this morning. He's on the clock until 1 Eastern time.

Comment

• Sorry for the delay...bad night, Court this morning.

I wept when I saw that Come Together and Get Back had both been taken. I'm officially on "tilt" now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
              Help and Ticket to Ride are IMO two of the three best pre-Rubber Soul Beatles tracks. The third one hasn't been taken yet.
              I almost took it, but went with Dear Prudence instead, mostly for the killer bass line. Call me a sucker.

Comment

• Dear Prudence is one of my very favorites and I figured I could wait until the 5th or 6th round to nab it. So there's your payback for not getting Get Back.

As a Dave Mason fan, you've probably noticed the similarities between Dear Prudence and Shouldn't Have Took More than You Gave. So has Dave. When I saw him in 1992, he segued into DP during Shouldn't.

Comment

• We have an iPod in my son's room that plays music while he sleeps. Most of the selections were picked by my wife. I selected lullaby versions of seven rock songs, including three Beatles songs. Two are Dear Prudence and Here Comes the Sun. The third hasn't been picked yet and, while it isn't one of their big hits, is kind of an obvious choice if you think about it.

Comment

• I've always wanted to see Dave, but have never had the pleasure. I subscribe to him on Facebook, and enjoy his outlook on music and related topics.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                      Sorry for the delay...bad night, Court this morning.

I wept when I saw that Come Together and Get Back had both been taken. I'm officially on "tilt" now.
                      No problem...Iwas just sitting in a boring meeting and got the need for some Beatles discussion
                      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                        Lennon's finest Beatles moment is also Ringo's finest Beatles moment, IMO. This track is loaded with inventive drum fills that compliment the song perfectly.
                        Not being a musician, how do you judge the quality of drumming? It's honestly something I can't say I conceptualize very well.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheGaffer View Post
                          Not being a musician, how do you judge the quality of drumming? It's honestly something I can't say I conceptualize very well.
                          I'm not a musician either, but I'm better at telling when crappy drumming ruins a song than when good drumming elevates it. It's kind of like umpiring, maybe it's better when you're not noticed.

Comment

• The early run of Harrison songs confirms that when he did get 'em on the albums, they were among the best of them.

His solo career confirms that this supply was limited...

Comment

• Originally posted by Erik View Post
                              I'm not a musician either, but I'm better at telling when crappy drumming ruins a song than when good drumming elevates it. It's kind of like umpiring, maybe it's better when you're not noticed.
                              The guitar player in the band I'm in says just that...if he notices the drummer, there is a problem.

I have a couple of criteria. When I'm playing, I need a drummer who is dead solid, someone who is always on the beat and I can lock in with. Ringo was always there, whether it was a fast song, slow song, tempo changes, whatever.

Listening, I want a drummer who can provide dynamics to complement the soundscape. Too many drummers know only two settings...fast and loud. Ringo was so underrated because he was never flashy, but he provided just exactly what the band needed. He was a total professional behind the kit, and someone I have grown to respect more over the years. He probably didn't get as much respect as he should have at the time because of his persona off-stage.

Comment

• I like the fact noone is posting videos to accompany the songs ... we've all heard them a million times (apart from Mith of course ) ... plus makes the draft thread nice and easy to load on mobile.

Comment

Working...
                                X