No announcement yet.

Beatles song draft II signup/discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry, a meeting about the homeless silenced me for a while, but I'm back.

Lennon the great leftist stayed in bed with Yoko for a few days, which may have been brave but was no leftist feat.
    Beatle shot in New York? Surprised RS didn't rate him more beautiful than Princess Di.

And you don't think his lyrics were cynical? Remember when I said that John didn't write about anything but John? So he writes about the Utopian world, the ultimate paradise, and he can't last past the chorus until -

You, you may say
    I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
    I hope some day you'll join us
    And the world will be as one

Self-references four (4) times in each chorus, and is the hero of the frigging song. Man, that's some Utopian humility for your ass there.

You say it is a requirement to separate the lyrics from the man. Okay, but what do when you do when the lyrics are always about the man? I like thoughtful lyrics...just think about someone else sometime.

Lennon is deep as hell for that 15-27 demographic, depending upon when they 'discovered' him. He talked more shit about the Beatles after they broke up than any man alive, when the truth is that without them he wouldn't have been able to make a living. He was a rhythm guitar player, for crying out loud. On a little league team, that's the right fielder. Most replaceable of the four. He wanted to replace George with Clapton. They should have replaced him with Clapton. Imagine that.
    Last edited by ; 10-27-2015, 03:55 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lucky View Post
      Sorry, a meeting about the homeless silenced me for a while, but I'm back.

Lennon the great leftist stayed in bed with Yoko for a few days, which may have been brave but was no leftist feat. I burned draft records. They hunted me for six damned years.
      Someone has a story to tell methinks.

You can't just drop that in a post and not elaborate. I think that's against forum regulations.

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
        I am wholly unfamiliar with the lawsuit but goddamn if that Verve song doesn't sound exactly the same as the Stones one.
        Actually the Andrew Oldham Orchestra version...and the similarities are undeniable.

If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Hell, Radiohead was successfully sued for copyright infringement on 'Creep' because of this song.

If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Comment

• That was a typo.

I got on a little rant about Lennon. I think Paul spent more actual time in jail than John, the punk rocker, did. John always had a pack of lawyers on the scene. Damned lawyers.

Take Revolution, for example. Delete the screams and the guitar solo, and its boring as sh*t. I go to sleep playing it. Back In The USSR rocks twice as hard. Anyway.

Typo.

Comment

Sorry, a meeting about the homeless silenced me for a while, but I'm back.

Lennon the great leftist stayed in bed with Yoko for a few days, which may have been brave but was no leftist feat.
              Beatle shot in New York? Surprised RS didn't rate him more beautiful than Princess Di.

And you don't think his lyrics were cynical? Remember when I said that John didn't write about anything but John? So he writes about the Utopian world, the ultimate paradise, and he can't last past the chorus until -

You, you may say
              I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
              I hope some day you'll join us
              And the world will be as one

Self-references four (4) times in each chorus, and is the hero of the frigging song. Man, that's some Utopian humility for your ass there.

You say it is a requirement to separate the lyrics from the man. Okay, but what do when you do when the lyrics are always about the man? I like thoughtful lyrics...just think about someone else sometime.

Lennon is deep as hell for that 15-27 demographic, depending upon when they 'discovered' him. He talked more shit about the Beatles after they broke up than any man alive, when the truth is that without them he wouldn't have been able to make a living. He was a rhythm guitar player, for crying out loud. On a little league team, that's the right fielder. Most replaceable of the four. He wanted to replace George with Clapton. They should have replaced him with Clapton. Imagine that.
              that's some funny shit Lucky!!

This post made me laugh out loud. Thanks!
              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                Actually the Andrew Oldham Orchestra version...and the similarities are undeniable.

The similarities are undeniable because that is the sample they used. With permission. Allen Klein sued the band completely out of existence anyway, so he could sell their hit song to Nike and throw some more cash on the pile he has accumulated over the decades by taking advantage of artists and strong-arming their management. Allen Klein is despicable, the kind of lowlife that makes me hope there actually is a hell, so he can roast in it for all eternity.
                Last edited by senorsheep; 10-28-2015, 11:21 AM.
                "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                  The similarities are undeniable because that is the sample they used. With permission. Allen Klein sued the band completely out of existence anyway, so he could sell their hit song to Nike and throw some more cash on the pile he has accumulated over the decades by taking advantage of artists and strong-arming their management. Allen Klein is a despicable cunt, the kind of filthy lowlife that makes me hope there actually is a hell, so he can roast in it for all eternity.
                  How did he win if they had permission?
                  - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                    How did he win if they had permission?
                    He argued that they violated the license by taking more of the sample than they negotiated.

If you want to know what human garbage Allen Klein really was, do some research on how he acquired the songwriting copyrights to music with which he obviously had no creative involvement whatsoever. He was a detestable human being.
                    Last edited by senorsheep; 10-28-2015, 11:21 AM.
                    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                    "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

And once again my leftist rantings silence a crowded room.....
                      I was busy brainwashing middle schoolers to vote as liberals while you were posting. NO NO just kidding I teach engineering, manufacturing and design by watching and discussing this today
                      http://apps.npr.org/tshirt/#/title

Comment

... Back In The USSR rocks twice as hard.
                        Hey - that was my pick - thanks

Comment

• TheGaffer is skipped. Johnny up. Revo needs to repick.
                          Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                          We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Onh
                            Originally posted by eldiablo505
                            Well, you folks are obviously entitled to your incorrect opinions. But I'll be damned if you can just sit around and talk about how crappy Imagine is on my watch. And again, to be eminently clear, I am not a huge fan of Lennon the wife beating douchebag. I am, however, an enormous fan of punk rock, fuck the establishment, give peace a chance Lennon as evidenced by his songs. I know it's not easy to divorce the two, though.
                            Oh, settle down. It's a good song. Any guy with two mansions can't be a punk rocker, though. He can still say f*ck the establishment. I commend him for that. Mostly I was just trying to find a Lennon guy to engage. Good job on your part.

Comment

Completely settled, your Honor!

Yeah, it's no easy task defending John Lennon. Frankly, I think the vast majority of his solo stuff (hell, all the Beatles' solo stuff) is less than stellar, to put it mildly. On top of that, he's an asshole. But Imagine is one hell of a song.
                              I have to agree with you, although I think all the Fab Four, including John, have had their moments as solo acts. One of the things I like the most about "Imagine" is how tight-assed school principals, administrators, legislators, religious leaders, etc., have freaked out over the years because of what they perceive as subversive lyrics. When the man starts trying to censor poetry like this, it can only help our cause.

Comment

• I know the Beatles are "deep" ... but damn. It's taken me no more than 5 minutes to make each pick without any prep.

Comment

Working...
                                X