'16 Democratic Nomination Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dslaw View Post
    In UT the governor (who is Republican) wanted to budget money to hold primary elections this year. The state senate (90% Republican) wanted a caucus and shot it down. So the parties had to fund the election instead of the state which resulted in fewer polling places and reduced turnout. By doing this the incumbents can get 'their' people to show up and they have a bigger influence on the voting total. I don't think it is right but that is why it is done, at least here.

My polling place was about 10 miles from my house, not a big deal. But it was the only one in the county which is 7,000 square miles. I don't think people in Wendover drove 90 miles to vote.
    my sister-in-law used to complain or just not vote in New York City because there were no voting machines in her apartment building - she had to go all the way to the one next door.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
      why does any state do a caucus instead of an actual vote, seems like shinnaigans to me
      A lot of it is also keeping power in the hands of a small group of people, and as you say, it's rife for lots of weird little power plays.

There's a bill going through the legislature here in Minnesota to make the 2020 and beyond elections into a primary, I remain skeptical that the power brokers will let that happen.
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
        Well, this is odd:

Nature Endorses Bernie!!
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
          Nature Endorses Bernie!!
          Or pauses for a bit to crap on him...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
            Or pauses for a bit to crap on him...
            That was a DNC bird?

Comment

• Originally posted by Hodor View Post
              That was a DNC bird?
              Some call her...Debbie.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

• Speaking of Shit.......

Fox news has a poll just out that has Bernie ahead of Clinton Nationally for the first time in the race. Gaining in every demographic.

Silver says it's not nothing, but not everything.

Maybe the worm is turning and that's why the bird showed up!
                If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Sanders crushing it today, but math.

Comment

• First birds now crickets

Comment

First birds now crickets
                      Lol.
                      Not much to say: he had a great night and it matters not a bit.

Comment

First birds now crickets
                        And again, caucus states...he does great in caucus states and not so great in primary states. Unfortunately for him, the figure that I read was that 94% of the remaining delegates are in primary states.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

• Apparently Newt Gingrich is called the Washington results "unimaginable." For once, I agree with him. Sanders tripling up on Clinton was a shocker. Where will California stand in June?

J
                          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by nots View Post
                            Lol.
                            Not much to say: he had a great night and it matters not a bit.
                            Slowly, ever so slowly.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• He was in a 15-foot hole, and he just climbed up two or three feet. So, it's good for him obviously, but still a lot of very tough going for him to make the nomination, and the delegate math is still stacked badly against him.
                              "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                                He was in a 15-foot hole, and he just climbed up two or three feet. So, it's good for him obviously, but still a lot of very tough going for him to make the nomination, and the delegate math is still stacked badly against him.
                                Yes that's apparent, but when you beat someone 75-25 , 75-25 and 80-20, that's saying something.

He started in a 15 foot hole, just think if he'd started on even ground.

I'm just saying counting him out is folly, he'll have quite a bit to say before it's all said and done.

But you know, with each--he has no chance, each, I told you so will be sweeter.............. :P

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                                X