It's Back: Exceelent Movies I've Seen Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by revo View Post
    The Impossible -- the 2004 tsunami hits Thailand and washes away Ewan McGregor's and Naomi Watts' family. A great pic, highly recommended.
    agreed, saw this a couple of weeks ago; incredible story, amazing that it was based on a true story.
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• saw the new Star Trek yesterday. most exceelent.
      watched Paranorman on friday with the family. pretty mediocre.
      "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

• Our Family went to see Now You See Me yesterday. We all thought it was great. Just a fun couple of hours. Will it win any awards? No. But well worth the price of admission.

We also saw Looper last week. It was much better than I thought it was going to be. I wasn't expecting much so it added to the enjoyment.

I will watch both of these a second time.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
          Speaking of Cruise, has anyone noticed that his brother, William Mapother, is suddenly getting more work? He's not a bad actor, but he's like a Tom Cruise who got beat with the ugly stick, but yet there's still some remnants of Cruise sticking around. Like Tom Cruise missing a chromosome.
          I had never heard this so I had to look it up... IMDB says: Younger cousin of Tom Cruise.

Saw Iron Man 3 yesterday. Entertaining enough. Not exceelent, but not bad or anything. I enjoyed the time spent.

Caught some of the Queen of Versailles last night. Was flipping back and forth. I wanted to dislike them more, but they seemed like decent enough people who existed in some alternate reality. Kinda weird stuff. I did miss most of the beginning so I never saw when they were on top and more full of themselves.
          Last edited by heyelander; 06-17-2013, 09:48 AM.
          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
            Our Family went to see Now You See Me yesterday. We all thought it was great. Just a fun couple of hours. Will it win any awards? No. But well worth the price of admission.
            Also saw this yesterday and really enjoyed it. This just in - Isla Fisher isn't a bad looking chick.

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
              because I was like 8 years old when it came out. Still, I was fairly drunk at this point and it was amusing.
              I used to love this movie. So much so, that I bought the video game for Atari way back when. Saw it for the first time in years a little while ago and, it was probably because of pure nostalgia reasons, but thought it was still pretty good. Dabney Coleman is the man!

Comment

• Couple of Clint Eastwood oldies:

Watched Escape Form Alcatraz the other day ... haven't seen it in years ... and holds up pretty well.

Unlike The Eiger Sanction which is overpoweringly sexist and racist ... and homophobic.
                Last edited by johnnya24; 06-20-2013, 04:13 PM.

Comment

• World War Z - really enjoyed this. Loosely based on the book, and events in the book. For those who have read the books, and aren't expecting a word for word reenactment, this is a terrific movie. For those who haven't read the book, maybe it will seem like a fragment (which of course it is) ... I read some reviews who wondered what all the fuss was about, because it is only part of the story. I've also read some very hostile reviews that I can't understand. At the very least it's a entertaining action movie.

It's not perfect ... there are a couple "coincidence" moments that may get you rolling your eyes, but nothing major. Brad Pitt is his usual self, and the production values and effects are excellent. No real Zombie gore like The Walking Dead, which is a good thing IMO.

Comment

• The Star Trek movie was great fun but it was so damn loud

Comment

• Saw Olympus has Fallen. Typical super cop movie but I enjoyed it. If you liked Die Hard movies you will probably enjoy this one. If you crave realism you won't enjoy it. Hard to believe this came out 2 months ago and pretty soon the Jamie Foxx movie about the same thing comes out. I guess original ideas are hard to come by.

Comment

• Star Trek and World War Z are both very good.

I re-watched The Thin Red Line tonight. I remember thinking it was too slow and disjointed the first time I saw it (back in 1998) but this time I found it to be most excellent.
                        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Watched Olympus Has Fallen and Redemption ... both utter rubbish. Olympus Has Fallen started off pretty decent, then descended into one of the worst flag wavers I've seen. Throwing quality actors (and Gerard Butler) at a bad film doesn't make a quality film. Redemption was just a typically dumb pointless Jason Statham action movie. No part of this movie made any sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                            Star Trek and World War Z are both very good.

I re-watched The Thin Red Line tonight. I remember thinking it was too slow and disjointed the first time I saw it (back in 1998) but this time I found it to be most excellent.
                            The Thin Red Line is terrific ... I've been meaning to re-watch Tree of Life for 6 months now ... have to get around to that.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                              Watched Olympus Has Fallen and Redemption ... both utter rubbish. Olympus Has Fallen started off pretty decent, then descended into one of the worst flag wavers I've seen. Throwing quality actors (and Gerard Butler) at a bad film doesn't make a quality film. Redemption was just a typically dumb pointless Jason Statham action movie. No part of this movie made any sense.
                              You see, I don't get this. What did you expect from these "films"? When you willingly see something that obviously is what it is and complain about it being garbage, you have no right to complain. Not to call you, in particular, out, Johnny, but not knowing what you are about to see is just bad consumerism. It's like going to MacDonalds and complaining that its not Tavern on the Green. I don't know about you but my time is too valuable to spend watching something that I already know is going to be bad. Of course I enjoy a nice mind-numbing flick from time to time but if I know going in what it is, then I'm not going to be disappointed. Life's too short to spend it watching turds.

Comment

• Originally posted by Friarfan View Post
                                You see, I don't get this. What did you expect from these "films"? When you willingly see something that obviously is what it is and complain about it being garbage, you have no right to complain. Not to call you, in particular, out, Johnny, but not knowing what you are about to see is just bad consumerism. It's like going to MacDonalds and complaining that its not Tavern on the Green. I don't know about you but my time is too valuable to spend watching something that I already know is going to be bad. Of course I enjoy a nice mind-numbing flick from time to time but if I know going in what it is, then I'm not going to be disappointed. Life's too short to spend it watching turds.
                                You've never seen a decent watchable action flick? I've seen loads. Often a great way to switch off your brain for a couple of hours.

Comment

Working...
                                X