No announcement yet.

It's Back: Exceelent Movies I've Seen Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mrs. Gregg and I went to see World War Z Saturday night. We both really enjoyed it. I was really surprised at how much fun I had with this movie. I don't really care for the title and almost skipped it (waited for tv). One I will definitely watch again.

Comment

• This Is The End ... really good first half, really awful second half. Pretty much as I remember Pineapple Express. Both reached a peak, then just meandered boringly towards a daft ending. They had a great idea, squeezed all the funny bits in the first half, then hadn't a clue how to end it. Probably still worth watching because of the first half though.

Comment

• Saw Heat. Funny, but not a must see. If you want to go to the movies and watch a comedy it is a good choice. The fat chick plays the street wise Boston cop and has the mouth to go with it. Definitely no kids.

Comment

• Originally posted by dslaw View Post
          Saw Heat. Funny, but not a must see. If you want to go to the movies and watch a comedy it is a good choice. The fat chick plays the street wise Boston cop and has the mouth to go with it. Definitely no kids.
          Might want to specify that it was The Heat since the De Niro / Pacino flick wasn't all that funny My girlfriend wants to see it, but I didn't even think Bridesmaids was that great so I doubt I'd like this one much.

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post

I re-watched The Thin Red Line tonight. I remember thinking it was too slow and disjointed the first time I saw it (back in 1998) but this time I found it to be most excellent.
            I thought the same exact thing -- when I saw The Thin Red Line in theaters, it was right on the heels of Saving Private Ryan and I thought, "damn, that just did not stack up"! But I re-watched it last year and thought, "wow, that was much better than I remembered it!"

Saw The Last Stand this weekend, and went in expecting the worst, thinking that Arnold would be rusty and a parody. And while the plot is nothing revolutionary and the usual standards apply (super bad guy gets away from 100s of bungling feds but is stopped by a rag-tag group of misfits), it was far more entertaining than I anticipated.

Comment

• Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
              Might want to specify that it was The Heat since the De Niro / Pacino flick wasn't all that funny My girlfriend wants to see it, but I didn't even think Bridesmaids was that great so I doubt I'd like this one much.
              I wasn't a big fan of Bridesmaids or Identify Thief, which also had the McCarthy chick in it. I was kind of leery about The Heat (got it right this time) but the wife wanted to go and I was pleasantly surprised.

Comment

• I watched Django Unchained this weekend and thought it was awesome, Chris Waltz was epic, it made me want to watch Inglorious Bastards again...
                "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Showed "Double Indemnity" at the library on Friday. This is one that deserves the title Excellent!
                  "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                    I watched Django Unchained this weekend and thought it was awesome, Chris Waltz was epic, it made me want to watch Inglorious Bastards again...
                    i saw this on the plane to south africa. i was underwhelmed. maybe it was the tiny screen.

also saw:
                    Oz, the Great and Powerful - meh, unless you're an oz nut (which my wife is).
                    Identity Thief - meh. some funny bits but the plot is just too thin.
                    Guilt Trip - meh+. i thought i'd hate it, but actually didn't mind.
                    Jack the Giant Slayer - meh+. not as good as i'd hoped, actually.

i know i watched a couple of others, but they must also have underwhelmed, as i can't even remember what they were...
                    "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

• Originally posted by bryanbutler View Post
                      i saw this on the plane to south africa. i was underwhelmed. maybe it was the tiny screen.

also saw:
                      Oz, the Great and Powerful - meh, unless you're an oz nut (which my wife is).
                      Identity Thief - meh. some funny bits but the plot is just too thin.
                      Guilt Trip - meh+. i thought i'd hate it, but actually didn't mind.
                      Jack the Giant Slayer - meh+. not as good as i'd hoped, actually.

i know i watched a couple of others, but they must also have underwhelmed, as i can't even remember what they were...
                      Why do you keep watching movies that underwhelm you? You need to pick better movies..
                      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• I also saw World War Z and Pacific Rim over the last two weekends. World War Z was completely throwaway, Pacific Rim is worth seeing on the big screen if what you want to see is giant robots fighting giant monsters. "Scott Pilgrim vs the World" which I also saw over the weekend was better than both, and featured a Beck-driven soundtrack
                        "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                          Why do you keep watching movies that underwhelm you? You need to pick better movies..
                          tell that to the person that is picking the movies for Delta!
                          "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                            I also saw World War Z and Pacific Rim over the last two weekends. World War Z was completely throwaway, Pacific Rim is worth seeing on the big screen if what you want to see is giant robots fighting giant monsters. "Scott Pilgrim vs the World" which I also saw over the weekend was better than both, and featured a Beck-driven soundtrack
                            Scott Pilgrim is excellent. Cutey central: Anna Kendrick, Aubrey Plaza, Alison Pill & Mary Elizabeth Winstead.

Going to drag myself to Pacific Rim today ... Guillermo del Toro has a way of making conceptually ridiculous movies work.

Iron Man 3 sucks worse than Iron Man 2, which is a difficult thing to imagine (or is it?). The first Iron Man was pretty good.

Comment

• Originally posted by bryanbutler View Post
                              tell that to the person that is picking the movies for Delta!
                              I didn't make the connection that all of those movies were on the plane...

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                                Going to drag myself to Pacific Rim today ... Guillermo del Toro has a way of making conceptually ridiculous movies work.
                                I've decided I'm only watching these movies on Tuesday's when it's £2.50 into the cinema. That way I can't be upset when I'm inevitably disappointed. Dreadful. Some of the actions scenes were great of course, but that can't make up for the awfulness that surrounded them. Plus two of the worst fake Aussie accents since Tarantino in Django Unchained ... seriously, they couldn't find a couple of meathead Australians?

Comment

Working...
                                X