It's Back: Exceelent Movies I've Seen Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
    driving down a country road looking at fireflies......tying a ribbon around the right bag.......
    I had seen it before ... still a good watch.

Comment

• "JCVD".....yep, Jean-Claude Van Damme......it's not the movie you think it will be, and it's a much better movie than you think it will be...
      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

"JCVD".....yep, Jean-Claude Van Damme......it's not the movie you think it will be, and it's a much better movie than you think it will be...
        I've heard for years that this is great. But I've just never gotten around to watching it.

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
          saw Life of Pi this weekend. It has me thinking well after I left the theater. Beautiful doesn't go far enough to describe it, and the story was very interesting. I don't usually go to 3D versions of movies, but this one was worth it. I'm glad I got to see it in the theater.
          saw Life of Pi two days on my smallish screen-

I was prepared to be underwhelmed - "a kid on a boat with a tiger. this is enough for a movie????"

I was incredibly impressed with the story and even the graphics. My wife is still analyzing it a few days later. Really great tale - I even was able to overlook the corny religious overtones because the story was compelling to watch unfold

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
            saw Life of Pi two days on my smallish screen-

I was prepared to be underwhelmed - "a kid on a boat with a tiger. this is enough for a movie????"

I was incredibly impressed with the story and even the graphics. My wife is still analyzing it a few days later. Really great tale - I even was able to overlook the corny religious overtones because the story was compelling to watch unfold
            It is in the religious overtones that shape his belief to live/conceive of the story. Without them he is just a kid in a boat with a tiger.

I will agree that it was more movie than I expected by a mile and a half.

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
              Awesome, awesome book (by Mel Brooks' son, no less) that looks like an awesome, awesome movie:

I loved the book, basically Studs Turkell's "The Good War" with zombies, but the movie doesn't look like it is going to have much of the international feel....
              "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

I loved the book, basically Studs Turkell's "The Good War" with zombies, but the movie doesn't look like it is going to have much of the international feel....
                I enjoyed the book ... though it didn't blow me away. Favourite bit was the Japanese blind guy ... and the underwater zombies. I actually thought the book wasn't detailed enough ... it skipped over so much because of the style of the story telling ... left me wanting a lot more. It'd make a great TV series.

The trailer looks spectacular. Not sure the zombies moved that fast in the book, but I like it! Will they chart the beginning and end of WWZ in the movie? Would make a great trilogy.
                Last edited by johnnya24; 03-29-2013, 02:04 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                  My favorite part was the military staging area in Las Vegas (iirc) where the military got summarily overrun by zombies.
                  Not released until 21st June

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                    I enjoyed the book ... though it didn't blow me away. Favourite bit was the Japanese blind guy ... and the underwater zombies. I actually thought the book wasn't detailed enough ... it skipped over so much because of the style of the story telling ... left me wanting a lot more. It'd make a great TV series.

The trailer looks spectacular. Not sure the zombies moved that fast in the book, but I like it! Will they chart the beginning and end of WWZ in the movie? Would make a great trilogy.
                    I liked the North Korea part best

Comment

• Argo - I finally got a chance to watch Argo and really did enjoy it. I am sure quite a bit of the last action sequence was given the Hollywood touch, but the movie was still very strong.

Wrek it Ralph - If you have kids and they are bugging you for a rental you could do much much worst. I watched it this afternoon with my daughter. I laughed a fe times and actually liked the story.

Comment

• Originally posted by frae View Post
                        Argo - I finally got a chance to watch Argo and really did enjoy it. I am sure quite a bit of the last action sequence was given the Hollywood touch, but the movie was still very strong.

Wrek it Ralph - If you have kids and they are bugging you for a rental you could do much much worst. I watched it this afternoon with my daughter. I laughed a fe times and actually liked the story.
                        My daughter, Grandson, and I watched Wrek it Ralph last night. It was a lot better than I expected. It's no Toy Story but then again after 300 times watching TS anything is refreshing.

Comment

• I was really looking forward to seeing Lincoln, but I have to admit, while Daniel Day-Lewis was phenomenal, the movie was booooooring even to this Civil War buff. It was for all intents and purposes a courtroom drama that would've played well as a one-man production on Broadway (Daniel Day-Lewis is "LINCOLN!!") I did not expect the movie to spend 2 1/2 hours on a single month (a single week, really) in the war, with almost zero "action" scenes. Even his assassination scene was disappointing and anti-climactic.

Killing Them Softly seemed like it had all the pieces to be a very good mob pic (Brad Pitt along with James Gandolfini, Ray Liotta and some other Sopranos character actors) but it just went nowhere fast. Or nowhere slow, depending on how you want to look at it.

Comment

• just watched Argo, and enjoyed it quite a bit.....felt very true to the time period

Comment

• I finally got around to seeing 42 last night (yes, I know it came out Friday!). Definitely belongs in this thread. Obviously great story told very well, and particularly great cinematography of the on field scenes... yes it's somewhat hokey in how noble Robinson and Rickey come across, but that's to be expected. The whole family really enjoyed it, and for the first time that I've seen in a very long time, the audience applauded when the closing credits came up. Must see for everyone here.
                              It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• this made me laugh - and I havent seen 42 yet

http://www.theonion.com/articles/new...e-where,32042/

Comment

Working...
                                X