Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
    hahahahaha!!!

Would you decide to forgo a movie based on the recommendation of an RJ member?
    yes I would
    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
      yes I would
      I find that bizarre.
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Saw Baby Driver last night. Meh. Typical bad guy/inept cop caper, but with a bigger music soundtrack (but none of the songs were particularly memorable). Although it was nice to see Paul Williams for the first time since "Smokey & the Bandit"(?)

Other recents:
        The Mummy -- Just awful. I think this was Universal's attempt to establish a universe using their monster characters, but having Dr. Jeckyll as a modern-day version of a Nick Fury was ridiculous.

War for the Planet of the Apes -- one of the better in the series. And no James Franco or Mark Wahlberg. Highly recommend.

The Big Sick -- how was this movie a hit? Bo-rrring. And not funny at all.

The House -- typical Will Ferrell fare. Some funny parts. Largely forgettable. The best part is the dude from The League.

Rough Night -- turrble. Unfunny. Garbage.

Looking at my recent Netflix DVD activity (yes, I still get DVDs mailed!), it's chock full of movies I rated 1 or 2 stars. No wonder this was the worst year for movies in 10 years. And no, they can't blame outside forces!

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
          I did not see Daddy's Home, have no desire to see Daddy's Home. The previews look stupid to me.

Now they have Daddy's Home 2...are you kidding me!

Ok so here is the thing. The previews made laugh. I think I am going to have to go see if Daddy's Home 2 can be a guilty pleasure. Has the previews made any of you laugh or want to see the movie?
          Took the kids to see Daddy's Home 2 today. Horrific.

Comment

• Coco is an excellent family film.
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Watched "Arabesque" tonight.

Enjoyable, but Gregory Peck is no Cary Grant.
              "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Watched a couple movies with my parents the other day:

Wind River - same guy who wrote/directed Hell or High Water last year (which was one of my favorite movies of the year), this one's a bit slower-paced but still quite satisfying. Starring Jeremy Renner and Elizabeth Olsen, this one's set in the frigid conditions of Wyoming and centers around a rape/murder on an Indian reservation. It's somewhat of a murder mystery but also an indictment of the conditions Native Americans are put under in the US. Even though it starts a little slow, it ends with a bang and ends up being both an enjoyable watch and a thought-provoking film.

The Hitman's Bodyguard - and then there's this piece of crap. Don't get me wrong, there are a couple very entertaining scenes, but everything is overdone in this one - cursing is abundantly used instead of humor, ridiculous stunts are inserted to cover up the lack of plot development, and overall the whole thing is quite preposterous. It's no wonder that the director also has The Expendables 3 on his resume, though this one at least has a little more character development. Can't say it was a total waste of time, but I would definitely not recommend it.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                  Saw Baby Driver last night. Meh. Typical bad guy/inept cop caper, but with a bigger music soundtrack (but none of the songs were particularly memorable). Although it was nice to see Paul Williams for the first time since "Smokey & the Bandit"(?)

Other recents:
                  The Mummy -- Just awful. I think this was Universal's attempt to establish a universe using their monster characters, but having Dr. Jeckyll as a modern-day version of a Nick Fury was ridiculous.

War for the Planet of the Apes -- one of the better in the series. And no James Franco or Mark Wahlberg. Highly recommend.

The Big Sick -- how was this movie a hit? Bo-rrring. And not funny at all.

The House -- typical Will Ferrell fare. Some funny parts. Largely forgettable. The best part is the dude from The League.

Rough Night -- turrble. Unfunny. Garbage.

Looking at my recent Netflix DVD activity (yes, I still get DVDs mailed!), it's chock full of movies I rated 1 or 2 stars. No wonder this was the worst year for movies in 10 years. And no, they can't blame outside forces!
                  Couldn't disagree more about Baby Driver - sure the basic plot is typical fare but the stylishness if off the charts and the soundtrack does indeed kick ass.

Also disagree about The Big Sick. It's not exactly laugh out loud funny for the most part, but it was a very relatable story (duh, it's Kumail's life story) and had plenty of heart-wrenching moments. Even my parents - who stick to very safe Hollywood fare - thought it was excellent. Bonus tip - for those who have Amazon Prime it is now available there for free.

Comment

Saw Baby Driver last night. Meh. Typical bad guy/inept cop caper, but with a bigger music soundtrack (but none of the songs were particularly memorable). Although it was nice to see Paul Williams for the first time since "Smokey & the Bandit"(?)

Other recents:

Disagree on Baby Driver. I thought is was filmed well. Just a fun movie. Unfortunately the last Kevin Spacey movie I will ever watch.

I agree with you on the Planet of the Apes.

I also agree with you on The Mummy. I was encouraged by the previews. We were excited to lay down our money. I walked out shaking my head in disappointment. Just a hot pile of poop. Kind of getting mad just remembering it.

Comment

Baby Driver was a fine airplane movie, and I enjoyed Jon Hamm in it. As far as "music driven" driven movies go, I'm hoping that Atomic Blonde is better
                      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• I introduced my youngest daughter and her boyfriend to My Cousin Vinny on Sunday night.

The rest of us hadn't seen the movie in maybe 15 years. Young and old enjoyed it.

What's a yout?

Comment

• The family watched the Coen Brothers Burn After Reading yesterday. We really enjoyed it.

I do not know what was going on in my life in August of 2008 to miss this one. It got good reviews, I like the casting. I thought they all did a great job.

I am guessing I am the only one that posts in here to have missed it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                            The family watched the Coen Brothers Burn After Reading yesterday. We really enjoyed it.

I do not know what was going on in my life in August of 2008 to miss this one. It got good reviews, I like the casting. I thought they all did a great job.

I am guessing I am the only one that posts in here to have missed it.
                            Never saw it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                              Baby Driver was a fine airplane movie, and I enjoyed Jon Hamm in it. As far as "music driven" driven movies go, I'm hoping that Atomic Blonde is better
                              Saw "Atomic Blonde" last night and thought it was pretty damned good!

Comment

Saw "Atomic Blonde" last night and thought it was pretty damned good!
                                I knew you'd like, mr big 80s!

Comment

Working...
                                X