X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
    Well, he told the Russians he was going to do it ahead of time

Today: JUST IN: Syrian warplanes take off from air base hit by U.S., carry out strikes in Homs countryside - Syrian observatory for human rights

Great surgical strike!
    We spent about fifty million dollars on those cruise missiles. If the gesture was purely symbolic, we should have used virtual missiles and saved the money.
    If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
      U didn't answer the question
      the surgical and strategic air strike didn't stop the planes from taking off today & no planes were damaged. Other than wagging the dog, what purpose did it serve?

Comment

• True.
        ---------------------------------------------
        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

the surgical and strategic air strike didn't stop the planes from taking off today & no planes were damaged. Other than wagging the dog, what purpose did it serve?
          It was never intended to serve a purpose
          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
            We spent about fifty million dollars on those cruise missiles. If the gesture was purely symbolic, we should have used virtual missiles and saved the money.
            Agreed
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I'll allow the immortal Mr. Miyagi to answer your question. "Walk left side, safe. Walk right side, safe. Walk middle, sooner or later...get squish just like grape."
              If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

• Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
                I'll allow the immortal Mr. Miyagi to answer your question. "Walk left side, safe. Walk right side, safe. Walk middle, sooner or later...get squish just like grape."
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

"I don't want to broadcast to the enemy exactly what my plan is" -- Donald J. Trump September 7, 2016

Since he told them it was coming....
                  You don't have to convince me it's a bad idea. Syrian intervention was a bad idea when Obama was pushing for it, and it's still a bad idea. Let the UN handle it.

I just found the strike at Russia's ally to be at odds with the "Russian puppet" narrative. But since he notified the Russians beforehand, apparently the narrative still works for you.
                  "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                  "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                  "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Just something else to discuss that keeps us from seeing something else.
                    It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                    Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                      You don't have to convince me it's a bad idea. Syrian intervention was a bad idea when Obama was pushing for it, and it's still a bad idea. Let the UN handle it.
                      If he wants to build a wall - build it around the middle east and let them destroy themselves.
                      It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                      Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

"I don't want to broadcast to the enemy exactly what my plan is" -- Donald J. Trump September 7, 2016

Since he told them it was coming....
                        So I guess the conclusion is that Trump doesn't consider Russia our enemy. I'm really not that disappointed in that, there are many more concerns I have regarding Trump. The whole Hillary fan/Dem anger at Russia is just childish. Get over it and move on.

Edit: Or just explain how starting a new cold war with Russia benefits me or you or anyone. Or why one missile strike in Syria is significant at all regardless of if we destroyed there planes or didn't destroy them.
                        Last edited by The Feral Slasher; 04-07-2017, 03:49 PM.
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

So I guess the conclusion is that Trump doesn't consider Russia our enemy. I'm really not that disappointed in that, there are many more concerns I have regarding Trump. The whole Hillary fan/Dem anger at Russia is just childish. Get over it and move on.

Edit: Or just explain how starting a new cold war with Russia benefits me or you or anyone. Or why one missile strike in Syria is significant at all regardless of if we destroyed there planes or didn't destroy them.
                          Anytime we unleash a military assault upon another sovereign nation it is "significant". It is an act of war, regardless of whether it was provoked or justified. We don't yet know what the outcome will be, but there is no question that the President's actions have dramatically raised the stakes.

If North Korea lobbed 59 missiles into the Montana wilderness next week, would you wonder whether that was 'significant'? Would it matter whether they blew up anything but rocks and dirt?

Comment

The more I think about this, the more I think this was a decision made by the military, not wanting to escalate the situation by killing a bunch of Russians. Probably not a bad call.

Comment

I agree with you but would add that Russia is most certainly not our friend.

Not directly in response to your post, but it's pretty clear that chemical weapons were used. I think it's clear what Hillary would have done were she President. Would this change the visceral response of some of the liberals? Because she was clear a day or two ago saying she'd "take out his airfields." So Trump's response is wrong?!?! Please reconcile that for me. What we've been told is US military claims to have near certain proof and near certain evidence of who used them, Bashar al-Assad. Just like when the line in the sand was drawn in 2013, should the US or the West have once again done nothing? How did that work out in the past? Not just 2013, but whenever the US stands by ideally watching as genocide or atoricites occur around the world. I'm not a hawk by any means but I don't think standing by gets us anything.

For those suggesting Trump forewarned the Russians, let's say just for argument that US military didn't use "deconfliction channels" to forewarn Russia and 59 Tomahawks blew the crap out of a bunch of their forces, would you really rather find out how that turns out?

I applaud the response. To suggest it was done to distract from something else is weak. Yes, I know he does that routinely but not with bombs in foreign countries. I guess as Chase would say "your mileage may vary". I think it was a good call and will hold final judgment until we see "what's next".
                              I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
                                I agree with you but would add that Russia is most certainly not our friend.

Not directly in response to your post, but it's pretty clear that chemical weapons were used. I think it's clear what Hillary would have done were she President. Would this change the visceral response of some of the liberals? Because she was clear a day or two ago saying she'd "take out his airfields." So Trump's response is wrong?!?! Please reconcile that for me.
                                If Trump does it, its wrong.

Glad I could clear that up for you.
                                "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Working...
                                X