*!* VD 2 Commentary Thread *!*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Long John View Post
    Last time I update the spreadsheet for you, Riff. Friggin stole my Harry Heilman pick. You were the only one that could have taken him...
    I always thought JC's quoted comment about VD was great (and apropos here)...paraphrasing: about trying to complete a puzzle while others are randomly stealing pieces you think you need to complete it
    I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
    You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
    "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
    It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

• Johnny's been drinking again...love the pick numbers. I wish we were in Round 23...we could end this travesty of a draft for me.
      Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• Gotta get caught up...but have to run out first. Tried to make a 2 minute pick. Try to have it up in 3 hours, but good chance I can do it in about 1 hour.
        Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pogues View Post
          Johnny's been drinking again...love the pick numbers. I wish we were in Round 23...we could end this travesty of a draft for me.
          That must be a first ... two picks at once, both with incorrect rounds.

Comment

• I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Comment

Comment

• spreadsheet is current through pogues' pick at 21.08
                  "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
                  "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

spreadsheet is current through pogues' pick at 21.08
                    Even for Riff Raff?
                    I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
                    You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
                    "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
                    It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

Last time I update the spreadsheet for you, Riff. Friggin stole my Harry Heilman pick. You were the only one that could have taken him...
                      Thanks for updating!
                      The thing about these drafts is that if you want someone, take him. I someone following you can take your guy you're risking losing him!

Comment

• Originally posted by Riff Raff View Post
                        Thanks for updating!
                        The thing about these drafts is that if you want someone, take him. I someone following you can take your guy you're risking losing him!
                        Yeah, problem is that a number of guys could have taken Sheckard and I wanted both players. I knew it was a calculated risk.
                        "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
                        "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

• This might be my favorite part of the draft...the end game. You're eyeballing certain players, and realize only 3, then 2, then 1 other person can take him. You really start gambling in hopes that last drafter or two will leave you guy alone. If he ends up being completely yours, you're golden and shove him to the end of the draft, which I've managed to do with one player so far. If someone grabs him, chaos ensues and you have to start looking for that next best combination of players to maximize your points.

It just sucks I have little hope to do much more than break into the top 10. But it's still been fun. I've missed this. Keep in mind, I would run a blind email auction if you guys want. It's fun just watching from close up sometimes.

Comment

• blurb on May for Eld...

I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• 1) I really wanted to take Zimmermann with my 20th pick just on the basis of there shouldn't be that good a MI available this late, but Kauff was better enough for me that I let it go.
                              2) This last pick took a while to figure out until I remembered that we draft 12 pitchers, not 11, and I still needed one more QUIZY pitcher. I feel like for all the rest of my picks there are at least two decent candidates that I couldn't choose between for each one, so I didn't feel much pressure to take them yet. On the other hand, that kind of half-assed analysis may be why I'm still in 13th place.
                              In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• Originally posted by mjl View Post
                                On the other hand, that kind of half-assed analysis may be why I'm still in 13th place.
                                Positions change fast and dramatically with multi-scoring. It is not unusual to see 30+ point leaps with a single pick.

Comment

Working...
                                X