Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bene Futuis
    replied
    Clemens himself is a crotch-ridden smelly toothbrush of a human being. Just fucking awful.

Leave a comment:

• johnnya24
    replied
    Have I got to pick already? This draft is flying along.

I'm just back home ... give me a little bit.

Leave a comment:

• Ken
    replied
    Originally posted by jmaeroff View Post
    No idea how a proud Slovak from Štefurov ended up with a fine Irish name like Quinn, but I love it for QUIZY purposes.
    Would it surprise you to find out he was likely neither Slovak OR named Quinn?

His real name was likely John Picus since that's how he signed legal documents (although he claimed to not remember the correct spelling for sure). And he likely was from a small coal mining town in Pennsylvania, of Polish decent.
    the pitcher known as Jack Quinn was born on July 5, 1883, or 1884 or 1885. His birthplace was southwest of Wilkes-Barre, but whether it was Janesville, Jeansville, Jeanesville, Hazleton, Mahanoy City, Gorman’s, St. Clair, or some other coal mining town, is a matter of dispute
    It was not uncommon for sons of Polish immigrants to think their baseball careers might be helped by assuming a different surname. Picus became Quinn, not only to avoid ethnic discrimination, but perhaps also to escape the derisive cognomen of “Pick Ass.”
    source: https://sabr.org/bioproj/person/cf88d73c

Leave a comment:

• johnnya24
    replied
    Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
    Fun fact: Roger Clemens was pretty much a shitty person in every respect imaginable, worthy only of derision and contempt.
    Is it true that Roger Clemens would rub his teammates toothbrushes up his sweaty crotch if they misfielded?

Leave a comment:

• cavebird
    replied
    Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
    See, this is the kind of inanity we've been missing around here. Once upon a while back we made up nicknames for every single player we selected (and then we voted for best nickname each round, lol). I think adding a bit of trivia to each of our picks would serve the same, higher purpose that's been missing from our recent drafts.

Fun fact: Roger Clemens was pretty much a shitty person in every respect imaginable, worthy only of derision and contempt.
    That's not what she said. Of course, she was 14 at the time.

Leave a comment:

• Bene Futuis
    replied
    No idea how a proud Slovak from Štefurov ended up with a fine Irish name like Quinn, but I love it for QUIZY purposes.
    See, this is the kind of inanity we've been missing around here. Once upon a while back we made up nicknames for every single player we selected (and then we voted for best nickname each round, lol). I think adding a bit of trivia to each of our picks would serve the same, higher purpose that's been missing from our recent drafts.

Leave a comment:

• johnnya24
    replied
    Yeah, I wasn't enamored of the WHIP, but I needed pitching, needed a QUIZY, and he has the most Ws of any QUIZY not named Denton. ERA not stellar but hopefully shouldn't hurt me too much.
    RIP ERA and RIP WHIP ... in other words good pick.

Leave a comment:

• jmaeroff
    replied
    Originally posted by cavebird View Post
    Well, now there is no more question of your strategy. Good idea to grab one of the ratio tank essentials early-ish---it dissuades others from joining the strategy (if two try it, both are screwed because you are both after the same players while the point of the strategy is to want pitchers nobody else wants).
    Yeah, I wasn't enamored of the WHIP, but I needed pitching, needed a QUIZY, and he has the most Ws of any QUIZY not named Denton. ERA not stellar but hopefully shouldn't hurt me too much.

Leave a comment:

• cavebird
    replied
    Well, now there is no more question of your strategy. Good idea to grab one of the ratio tank essentials early-ish---it dissuades others from joining the strategy (if two try it, both are screwed because you are both after the same players while the point of the strategy is to want pitchers nobody else wants).

Leave a comment:

• jmaeroff
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X