Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• johnnya24
    replied
    I'm confident about one thing, i have no idea what my final team will look like.

Leave a comment:

• johnnya24
    replied
    Originally posted by heyelander View Post
    Does the trivia need to be true/researched or can we make shit up?
    Human beings are curious by nature ... is it a crime to ask a question?

Leave a comment:

• Ken
    replied
    I only use logical ors, so yes.

Leave a comment:

• DMT
    replied
    Let's take a vote.

Leave a comment:

• heyelander
    replied
    Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
    See, this is the kind of inanity we've been missing around here. Once upon a while back we made up nicknames for every single player we selected (and then we voted for best nickname each round, lol). I think adding a bit of trivia to each of our picks would serve the same, higher purpose that's been missing from our recent drafts.

Fun fact: Roger Clemens was pretty much a shitty person in every respect imaginable, worthy only of derision and contempt.

Leave a comment:

• chancellor
    replied
    Clemens himself is a crotch-ridden smelly toothbrush of a human being. Just fucking awful.
    I see you're still holding back. You're gonna hurt yourself that way.

Leave a comment:

• The Feral Slasher
    replied
    Didnt need Clarkson, but i sure wanted him. My short list is destroyed. The last half of this draft will be interestimg

Leave a comment:

• johnnya24
    replied
    Better a dirty toothbrush in Clemens' mouth than a 15 year old girl, I suppose. What a guy.
    Is it true Clemens suplexed a nun in a Subway store because he thought she jumped the queue?

Leave a comment:

• Bene Futuis
    replied
    Better a dirty toothbrush in Clemens' mouth than a 15 year old girl, I suppose. What a guy.

Leave a comment:

• Ken
    replied
    Pick ass is what Roger Clemens does with his own toothbrush before he puts it in his mouth.
    Like I said....

Leave a comment:

• Bene Futuis
    replied
    Originally posted by Ken View Post
    Also, I'm pretty sure "Pick Ass", is going to be Bene's new nickname.
    Pick ass is what Roger Clemens does with his own toothbrush before he puts it in his mouth.

Leave a comment:

• Ken
    replied
    Originally posted by cavebird View Post
    But if you read farther down the article you linked, it confirms that jmareoff is right, and Quinn was born in Austria-Hungary (which controlled Slovakia at the time).

"Much of the above speculation about Jack Quinn's birth and ancestry is probably misguided. Michael D. Scott has conducted extensive research and provided documentation that Quinn was born on July 1, 1883, in Stefurov, in the northwestern part of what is now the Republic of Slovakia, but was then a part of Austria-Hungary. According to Scott, whose research was published in NINE: A Journal of Baseball History and Culture (Spring 2008, Vol. 16., No. 2), Jack's original name was Johannes Pajkos and he was a son of Michael Pajkos and his first wife Maria, nee Dzjiacsko. The family arrived in New York on June 18, 1884, aboard the SS Suevia. Shortly after arrival in America, Maria died. Michael found work in the coal mines near Hazleton, Pennsylvania, and found women of Slovak descent to care for his infant son. In November 1887 Michael married Anastasia Tsar, who became Jack Quinn's stepmother."
    It's not so cut and dry - the real answer is that no one today knows for sure.

Where he was born…well, many would say he was born somewhere southwest of Wilkes-Barre, though B-R stands true with Stefurov, Slovakia (then part of Austria-Hungary). If that were true, which it probably isn’t, he’d be the only player born from what is now Slovakia to play in the majors.

Leave a comment:

• cavebird
    replied
    Would it surprise you to find out he was likely neither Slovak OR named Quinn?

His real name was likely John Picus since that's how he signed legal documents (although he claimed to not remember the correct spelling for sure). And he likely was from a small coal mining town in Pennsylvania, of Polish decent.

source: https://sabr.org/bioproj/person/cf88d73c
    But if you read farther down the article you linked, it confirms that jmareoff is right, and Quinn was born in Austria-Hungary (which controlled Slovakia at the time).

"Much of the above speculation about Jack Quinn's birth and ancestry is probably misguided. Michael D. Scott has conducted extensive research and provided documentation that Quinn was born on July 1, 1883, in Stefurov, in the northwestern part of what is now the Republic of Slovakia, but was then a part of Austria-Hungary. According to Scott, whose research was published in NINE: A Journal of Baseball History and Culture (Spring 2008, Vol. 16., No. 2), Jack's original name was Johannes Pajkos and he was a son of Michael Pajkos and his first wife Maria, nee Dzjiacsko. The family arrived in New York on June 18, 1884, aboard the SS Suevia. Shortly after arrival in America, Maria died. Michael found work in the coal mines near Hazleton, Pennsylvania, and found women of Slovak descent to care for his infant son. In November 1887 Michael married Anastasia Tsar, who became Jack Quinn's stepmother."

Leave a comment:

• jmaeroff
    replied
    Would it surprise you to find out he was likely neither Slovak OR named Quinn?

His real name was likely John Picus since that's how he signed legal documents (although he claimed to not remember the correct spelling for sure). And he likely was from a small coal mining town in Pennsylvania, of Polish decent.

source: https://sabr.org/bioproj/person/cf88d73c
    Weird, BB-Ref & Wikipedia both say he was born in Štefurov. (Wikipedia says he immigrated as an infant.) Next time I find myself in Pottsville Pa. (former NFL city, btw) I'll be sure to visit his gravesite and see if a POB is listed.

Leave a comment:

• Ken
    replied
    Also, I'm pretty sure "Pick Ass", is going to be Bene's new nickname.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X