No announcement yet.

*** VD 12 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been working on this for an hour, and now I'm gonna be late. I'll be back early afternoon (morning EST), I'll pick then.

Soz

Comment

• I thought I'd do a ranking of the letter strength in this format, with some commentary:

B - strong letter all around, both early in the draft and late, and flat out dominates in hitting
      C - also a strong letter all around, early and late, stronger in hitting than pitching
      M - strong letter both early and late, the strongest letter in pitching but still very good in hitting
      S - also very strong, moreso in the second half of the draft, and somewhat stronger in pitching but still solid in hitting

W - a pitching letter all the way and a better second half performer, but still solid enough in hitting to rank in the top five
      R - a better first half performer but still solid in second half of draft, stronger in hitting
      G - solid all around
      H - a little stronger early on the hitting side and later on the pitching side

K - surprisingly strong in pitching in the second half of the draft, also solid in hitting throughout
      D - an early performer with mediocre second half performance, and hitting all the way, pitching is weak
      P - weak early but solid in the second half, a balanced letter that maybe leans a little to pitching
      J - stronger in pitching and one of the weakest "regular" letters in hitting, mediocre throughout the draft once the Big Train is gone

F - mediocre letter throughout after a few good early hitters
      T - decent hitting letter especially in the second half, but very weak on pitching
      A - strong early on hitting and then very weak throughout the second half of the draft on both sides
      L - hitting is okay in the first half of the draft but this letter is weak throughout after that, though the mediocre depth is extensive making this a good letter to save for late

O - some strong hitters early and then nothing on either side of the ball after that, plays like a regular letter early and then firmly in the OVEN after that

V - balanced crap throughout the draft on all sides
      N - there are some palatable pitchers here throughout, but hitting is a QUIZY-like wasteland
      E - the only thing good to say about this letter is that it's not barren like a QUIZY. I hate getting caught with an E hitter late.

Y - the best of the QUIZY, which is damning with faint praise, some decent hitters early, better for hitters than pitchers throughout

Z - the second best of the QUIZY, with some pitchers you can stomach late
      I - bad, leans toward more palatable hitters and a few pitchers
      U - bad, just bad, some okay hitters early and then not much
      Q - bad all around, devoid of hitting talent, on the pitching side it's Quiz early and a few palatable pitchers in the end game
      "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Most of my first half picks were in the those middle letter groups. Turns out that is where a lot of the new value resided, and I had to watch it drift on by.

Definitely a good draft to do your homework!

Comment

• I forgot about this phase of the draft ... The com thread goes quite, everyone is trying to avoid the time when they have to work on their final picks 🤔

Comment

• My commentary on actual draft picks is pretty minimal. My current thoughts are why did I save all these big letters I have way too many options and am destined to not maximize my value.

Comment

• Originally posted by frae View Post
              My commentary on actual draft picks is pretty minimal. My current thoughts are why did I save all these big letters I have way too many options and am destined to not maximize my value.
              I'll swap ya. I have no options and have to make forced picks, which inevitably means I will get screwed.

It just means you have to work hard to find the right combos. You got one of them good problems 🙂

Comment

• Best part about this for me, is that I have no clue if I am making bad picks or not, so there is no pressure. "I'm just happy to be here. I'm going to give 110%."

Comment

• Originally posted by MookieTyme View Post
                  Best part about this for me, is that I have no clue if I am making bad picks or not, so there is no pressure. "I'm just happy to be here. I'm going to give 110%."

Comment

• Originally posted by frae View Post
                    Exactly. Figured channeling my inner Nook Laloosh could only be good in this thread.

Comment

• I'm here. I'm queer. Get used to it.

Err, I will catch up and make my pick within the next hour or two.
                      More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Looks like heys has 2 catchers. Next pick will be Roy Campanella c 1953. Obvious year 41hr, 1sr etc letter
                        people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

• Tried to say first wc letter
                          people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

• I think Heye is back from Japan, but in case he isn't, I updated the history thread for the last couple rounds.
                            "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Songs with Hey in it...

Hey Hey My My Draft Delays Will Never Die

Comment

• Heye Jude...dont draft so slow....make a bad pick, just choose a letter
                                ---------------------------------------------
                                Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                                ---------------------------------------------
                                The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                                X