Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
    I'll let you know.

Here's what I'm making with the cherry tomatoes.

Sweet cherry tomatoes are roasted with olive oil, quickly made into a sauce, and served with prepared tortellini for an Italian-inspired dish that's fast and fresh.

The first time I made it I made a batch of fresh pesto and froze a bunch of it in ice trays. Now I have a bag of little pesto balls that are close to a tablespoon each. If you've got the pesto, or use store bought, this recipe is super easy and pretty tasty.
    I just started eating tomatoes about 10 years ago...but for some reason I can't get myself to eat cherry tomatoes. I think the seed & goo to meat ratio is too high....or at least that is my perception. Not a fan of the seeds and goo...
    ---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Pretty sure Revo is the #1 pick in the RJ vintage draft... he's got 10k more than the next best R selection. Now, RHD might have better quality stats, but for career, especially since I believe those 11k posts of Revos are not tainted by suspect carry over numbers, is impressive.
      It's a good thing I put "the" in front of Feral Slasher. F is pretty strong on RJ, while in the T's I think only The Dane tops my postings. Never even looked at that before.
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• old-timey baseball notes:

the reason I discovered the Spalding change is that because I play old-timey baseball regularly I have some idea of how silly the rules were back then, but even so I couldn't imagine how you could get only about one strikeout every 70 innings.

a guy in my old-timey league is the great grandson of Deacon Philippe.
        In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
          Sean Lahman builds a database out of it. Baseball Databank used to do that, but I think they stopped a while back. There's a guy named Ted Turocy that has built a tool called Chadwick that a lot of people use to parse the Retrosheet data. 98% of the people that suck the Retrosheet data into a database are using Chadwick to parse it. I suspect B-R is using Chadwick, too, though I don't know that for sure.
          oh my goodness.

Code:
          SELECT p.playerID, p.yearID, sum(p.w)
          FROM pitching p 
          WHERE EXISTS (
            SELECT *
            FROM pitching p2
            WHERE p.playerID = p2.playerID
            AND p2.ERA < 2.25
            AND p2.W > 19)
          AND p.playerid like 'a%'
          GROUP BY p.playerID
          ORDER BY p.w DESC;
          so satisfying. screw this spreadsheet business.
          In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• Originally posted by mjl View Post
            oh my goodness.

Code:
            SELECT p.playerID, p.yearID, sum(p.w)
            FROM pitching p 
            WHERE EXISTS (
              SELECT *
              FROM pitching p2
              WHERE p.playerID = p2.playerID
              AND p2.ERA < 2.25
              AND p2.W > 19)
            AND p.playerid like 'a%'
            GROUP BY p.playerID
            ORDER BY p.w DESC;
            so satisfying. screw this spreadsheet business.
            Ok, I know some basics, but I'm lost by this obviously simple code. Please instruct proper usage so that I don't accidentally delete all baseball data I'm the history of the world.

On a mildly unrelated note, have we ever considered doing a vintage football draft?
            "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
            "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

old-timey baseball notes:

the reason I discovered the Spalding change is that because I play old-timey baseball regularly I have some idea of how silly the rules were back then, but even so I couldn't imagine how you could get only about one strikeout every 70 innings.

a guy in my old-timey league is the great grandson of Deacon Philippe.
              And can we get a ruling on the use of "old timely"?

Comment

I'll let you know.

Here's what I'm making with the cherry tomatoes.

Sweet cherry tomatoes are roasted with olive oil, quickly made into a sauce, and served with prepared tortellini for an Italian-inspired dish that's fast and fresh.

The first time I made it I made a batch of fresh pesto and froze a bunch of it in ice trays. Now I have a bag of little pesto balls that are close to a tablespoon each. If you've got the pesto, or use store bought, this recipe is super easy and pretty tasty.
                Sounds yummy. If you still have extra, I like to use cherry tomatoes for making fresh salsa, too.
                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• johnny, something to correct on the "let" tab.

In the "Remaining QUIZY" column, the formula for me and CJ is different from the others. Ours needs to read "<3" rather than "<5".

Comment

• Originally posted by Long John View Post
                    johnny, something to correct on the "let" tab.

In the "Remaining QUIZY" column, the formula for me and CJ is different from the others. Ours needs to read "<3" rather than "<5".
                    Thx ..

Comment

• Originally posted by Long John View Post
                      Ok, I know some basics, but I'm lost by this obviously simple code. Please instruct proper usage so that I don't accidentally delete all baseball data I'm the history of the world.

On a mildly unrelated note, have we ever considered doing a vintage football draft?
                      give me all pitchers along with their career wins whose last name starts with A, who have at least one season with 20+ wins and an ERA under 2.25, in order of the number of wins in their best single year.

I'm not saying it's a super useful query, it's just something that would be a huge headache in Excel. In general I found it annoying to find people with good career and BY numbers without transcribing into another spreadsheet.

Comment

give me all pitchers along with their career wins whose last name starts with A, who have at least one season with 20+ wins and an ERA under 2.25, in order of the number of wins in their best single year.

I'm not saying it's a super useful query, it's just something that would be a huge headache in Excel. In general I found it annoying to find people with good career and BY numbers without transcribing into another spreadsheet.
                        yeah, I just vlookuped all the career stats (or at least the ones I cared most about) into my BY spreadsheet.

I've taken a couple of sql classes, but I don't use it at work so I instantly forget everything I've learned. I really need to become mildly proficient.
                        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

yeah, I just vlookuped all the career stats (or at least the ones I cared most about) into my BY spreadsheet.
                          So is that an easy way to import the career stats onto the BY spreadsheet ? I've never really completed that excercise.
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I've taken a couple of sql classes, but I don't use it at work so I instantly forget everything I've learned. I really need to become mildly proficient.
                            At some point I copied all the player data over to a new SS, used vlookup to pool all the career and BY data onto a single page, put together an (almost) catch-all set of ranking columns, then applied filters on each column. So I can search pretty much any combo of player, position, letter, decade ... whatever. It's kinda sluggish though, because somewhere it's calling data from another SS (I think). It was primarily set up for Decades, so I haven't been using it much. Been using a very old ranking SS for this draft.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                              At some point I copied all the player data over to a new SS, used vlookup to pool all the career and BY data onto a single page, put together an (almost) catch-all set of ranking columns, then applied filters on each column. So I can search pretty much any combo of player, position, letter, decade ... whatever. It's kinda sluggish though, because somewhere it's calling data from another SS (I think). It was primarily set up for Decades, so I haven't been using it much. Been using a very old ranking SS for this draft.
                              I research a Pic of the players wives and pick the ones with the ugliest. Figure less sex before games.

Comment

• If you want to do what I did, you can download the Lahman database in SQL format (http://www.seanlahman.com/baseball-archive/statistics/) and MySQL (http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/ - you'd want Server and Workbench) and load the data into your database. I can help with the process or with writing SQL queries.

Comment

Working...
                                X