• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cy Young -- + 1 1/3 IP
    Larry Corcoran -- NC
    Buck Ewing -- NC
    Cap Anson - NC

Comment

• I-Rod is a great pick in the 18th. I'll update everything this evening after the soccerball.

Comment

• If you are thinking of picking a player from before 1920, could you do a check with BR.com and make sure it's correct.

Bold = Fixed HITTERS

1 TS Garp (minor changes to Arlie Latham)
        2 Revo (minor changes to Cap Anson)
        3 DMT (minor changes to Joe Quinn/1895)
        4 Frae (minor changes to Ty Cobb, Tip O'Neil/1891)
        5 Heyelander (minor changes to Jim O'Rourke)
        6 Feral Slasher (minor changes to Denny Lyons)
        7 Hacko (minor changes to Van Haltren, Zimmerman, G Davis/1897)
        8 mjl (minor changes to Wagner/1899/1912)
        9 Johnny (minor changes to Delahanty, Zimmer and Tucker)
        10 Diablo (minor changes to Sam Thompson/1887,1894)
        11 Controller J (minor changes to Nap Lajoie/1904, Hughie Jennings)
        12 Long John (minor changes to Tris Speaker, Herman Long/1891)

That is the selected hitters all updated. Will do pitching tomorrow.

Last edited by johnnya24; 09-07-2015, 06:14 PM.

Comment

• SS and History Thread up to date (apart from the Vintage Pitcher Updates (see post above))

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
            Sorry to have delayed, although it certainly looks like I wasn't the worst offender over the weekend.

I had no Excel sheet, no access to anything that I could do research with, and far too much access to mind altering everything else. I had actually written a list of players to take and I didn't even take one off that list at all. Having a little buyer's remorse about Guidry but I haven't even looked at the spreadsheet since last week so I have no real idea whether that is a good pick or not. Oddly, everyone on my list is still out there so I guess that's working out for me.
            No frae was out Playing drunk Bastard too over the Weekend - Heye was scrubbing Veggies, MJ was stalking Pre 1920 Players And Johnny was cursing MJ for having to much time on his hands.

Comment

• Originally posted by hacko View Post
              No frae was out Playing drunk Bastard too over the Weekend - Heye was scrubbing Veggies, MJ was stalking Pre 1920 Players And Johnny was cursing MJ for having to much time on his hands.
              Meanwhile, I'll just go back to my unpaid data entry job ...

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                New rule: if you pick a contemporary player whose stats haven't been updated on the spreadsheet and you fail to add the new stats here, you are stuck with the old stats.
                Without looking, I'm guessing you've finished your Contemporary Hitter slots

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                  Meanwhile, I'll just go back to my unpaid data entry job ...
                  Where'd the data come from in the first place anyway? Can we just get a new database dump?
                  In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• Originally posted by mjl View Post
                    Where'd the data come from in the first place anyway? Can we just get a new database dump?
                    Maybe, I'll ask KS after the draft. He has access to a lot of data.

Comment

• Everitt was on my list but probably not at the top.
                      In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

for what it's worth, I found http://www.baseball-databank.org/ which has the data in downloadable format; that said, their line for Al Spalding 1875, which I used to spot-check, differs from bbref in a couple fields (including an extra win and an ERA 0.07 lower).

Comment

• Heye said - when he gets done **Waxing his cucumber** he will be able to have a clear mind and make his Pick.

Comment

I have easy access to all the recent data since Project Scoresheet started scoring games in 1988. The access I have to older data is the same that you guys have, which is from Retrosheet. That's what B-R.com uses, too. Retrosheet does a refresh of their data every summer. They have volunteers going through play-by-play accounts of old games and correcting mistakes. This summer they released the biggest update I have ever seen.

I don't think the Baseball Databank files (which also ultimately come from Retrosheet) have been updated in several years.
                            "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by hacko View Post
                              Heye said - when he gets done **Waxing his cucumber** he will be able to have a clear mind and make his Pick.
                              it is farmer's market tuesday
                              I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                                I have easy access to all the recent data since Project Scoresheet started scoring games in 1988. The access I have to older data is the same that you guys have, which is from Retrosheet. That's what B-R.com uses, too. Retrosheet does a refresh of their data every summer. They have volunteers going through play-by-play accounts of old games and correcting mistakes. This summer they released the biggest update I have ever seen.

I don't think the Baseball Databank files (which also ultimately come from Retrosheet) have been updated in several years.
                                Is it accurate that Retrosheet only provides downloads of individual game box scores and bbref does all of the compiling? That's what it looks like... I would think someone other than bbref has already downloaded all of them and built a decent database file out of it. I wonder if I can find it.

Comment

Working...
                                X