Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of the few talking heads that actually knows stuff:

Jon (New Orleans)
    What are your thoughts on the Singleton contract?

Klaw (1:34 PM)
    Good deal for both sides. Given all his off-field issues, this was a no-brainer for him.
    "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
      I dont think its a red herring. He complained about this contract, not all pre-arb contracts in general. If he thinks all pre-arb contracts are awful, then that's a different discussion and one I believe he'd be on the wrong side also. From the player's perspective, its about getting paid now and reducing risk in exchange for making more money later. But the only way Singleton becomes vastly underpaid is like you said, he becomes a superstar. If he's just average or pretty good, then he isnt losing much. If he turns into Smoak, then he will come out comfortably ahead as Smoak will make $4.5M through 5 seasons.
      It's the most recent pre-arb contract. I don't think I have hard much about it being worse than most pre-arb contracts. It was just the earliest, so he could theorectically be a superstar from day 1, unlike later ones, where both team and player have a better idea of the value of the player before the deal.

Comment

another data point: Billy Beane was in the office for a Q&A today (and for a public chat currently going on at https://plus.google.com/events/c2fov...irectToSandbox) and I asked him about the Singleton contract. He said (slightly paraphrasing) that It was obviously a good deal for Houston and people were saying that they got him really cheap but they weren't taking into account Singleton's personal needs or desires, and he thought both sides were happy with the deal.
        In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Matt LaPorta retired today. I wonder if he would have been happier had he taken a 10 million dollar offer (if offered)? Not every sure thing becomes an everyday player...

Comment

LaPorta must have been smart with whatever money he did make, though...he's reportedly opening a bunch of Pie Five pizza franchises in/near Tampa. Having worked in advertising for years, often with franchise groups (McDonald's, etc.), those franchisees make/have some serious cash.
            12-team mixed keeper. 6x6 (OBP, QS the extra categories).

C- J.McCann
            1B-Cron
            2B- Villar
            SS- Andrus
            3B-Baez
            MI-L. Gurriel
            CI- Y.Gurriel
            OF- Blackmon, Judge, Betts, Dom.Santana
            UTIL- Benintendi
            BENCH: Pence, Dyson
            SP: Verlander, Scherzer, M. Boyd, JA Happ, Ponce de Leon
            RP: Yates, Greene, C.Martinez, Oberg, Bummer, N.Anderson
            IL: Buxton

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
              That is just a horrible deal for Singleton, horrible. Yes, he's guaranteed 10 million if he's hit by a bus tomorrow, but his pay ceiling is SO limited, it's almost criminal. I would hope that the players association does something about this in the next negotiation session...they're just taking advantage of these kids.
              he'd earn more if he just agreed to go year to year. The Astros wouldn't have offered a multi year deal, no matter how much in their favor, if they didn't think that Singleton would succeed reasonably well.

Houston is playing with house money...nothing on the line and everything to gain. He would have to be a spectacular bust for this not to be a total win for the Astros...
              You think that it's a fair deal, and I don't...we can twist numbers all day long and it doesn't matter.
              Singleton could make as little as 11 million.

This is the internet, you don't get it and I can't make you understand...end of discussion.
              I'm not getting pissy at all, it's just that this has become a typical internet argument...you cherry-pick your stats and arguments, I cherry-pick mine. You bring in other players as red herrings, I try to counter using their stats...it's a never ending cycle of futility.

I think it's a bad deal, you don't. Where can we go from there that we already haven't? I haven't convinced you in 3 pages, and you haven't convinced me...so why keep dragging it out? Thus, end of discussion as far as I'm concerned.
              You still think Singleton got a bad deal? Total bust, collected $6M so far and will get another $4M + $0.5M buyout for doing absolutely nothing.
              "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Wow, you really had to reach back 2 1/2 years to find something that you were right about? OK, knock yourself out. Singleton was a bust and got paid for nothing...happy now?
                "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                -Warren Ellis

Comment

Wow, you really had to reach back 2 1/2 years to find something that you were right about? OK, knock yourself out. Singleton was a bust and got paid for nothing...happy now?
                  Today was the first time I've read about baseball in over a year, saw Singleton still sucked, remembered this thread. LOL.

As I said 2.5 years ago, this was a great deal for Singleton unless he turned into an all star level player. Not sure why you couldnt see that at the time.

Comment

why do you feel the need to be a dick?

Comment

Originally posted by cleo View Post
                      why do you feel the need to be a dick?
                      LOL....haven't been around here much? Do I really need to expand on being wrong on the internet? We argued almost 3 years ago about a player and his contract, he was right, I was wrong. Is there really a need to bring it back up? Is Singleton in the news? Did someone sign him? If so, cool, toss in a sentence from the news item as a jump point, and post it. If not, I really don't see the point.
                      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                      -Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                      X