Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jon Singleton called up - and signs 5 year contract

rotoworld:

According to Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports, the Astros have signed top first base prospect Jonathan Singleton to a five-year contract with three club options.
    The historic deal -- a first for a player with zero major league service time -- carries $10 million in guaranteed money and can be worth up to $35 million if all the options and incentives are triggered. Singleton, 22, will be promoted from Triple-A Oklahoma City before Tuesday's game against the Angels to take over as Houston's regular first baseman. He was sporting a .941 OPS, 14 home runs, and 43 RBI in 54 games this season at Triple-A and should be owned in all mixed fantasy leagues. The contract costs Singleton quite a bit of earning power and is a big win for the Astros' front office even if the kid doesn't completely meet the hype.
    "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

In he goes...

He was a reserve pick in my AL draft (just traded Beltre) and I stashed him in my AFA team a couple weeks ago (I also have Taveras and Polanco there).
    Last edited by virgonomic; 06-02-2014, 01:33 PM.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
    Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
    Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Who would you guys rather have for the rest of the year? Austin Jackson or Singleton. I think Jackson has potential but he's been under .200 the last month or so. Does Singleton have the potential to outproduce him the rest of the way in a lineup not as potent as the Tigers?

Comment

I think they will be pretty similar but I like AJax to hit for a slightly better average and steal enough bags to make him more valuable. If you need power then go with Singleton.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/t...t-plate-060214

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
        Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
        Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Jackson easily.
          "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

That is just a horrible deal for Singleton, horrible. Yes, he's guaranteed 10 million if he's hit by a bus tomorrow, but his pay ceiling is SO limited, it's almost criminal. I would hope that the players association does something about this in the next negotiation session...they're just taking advantage of these kids.
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
              That is just a horrible deal for Singleton, horrible. Yes, he's guaranteed 10 million if he's hit by a bus tomorrow, but his pay ceiling is SO limited, it's almost criminal. I would hope that the players association does something about this in the next negotiation session...they're just taking advantage of these kids.
              I really dont see it that way. The big discount is in the option years. About $8M/yr when he's 27-29 years old. Could Singleton really make a lot more than 10 million in his first 5 years? The first three would be dirt cheap. Actually, the first four right?

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                I think Jackson has potential but he's been under .200 the last month or so.
                I've been reading for a month about Jackson's better Contact% and SwStr% and FB%, but he's been atrocious in spite of all of that. What good are all these percentages if he's going to bat .200 for the month of May?

Comment

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                  I really dont see it that way. The big discount is in the option years. About $8M/yr when he's 27-29 years old. Could Singleton really make a lot more than 10 million in his first 5 years? The first three would be dirt cheap. Actually, the first four right?
                  Really? You think that 35 million over 8 years is a good deal for the player in this day and age? because that's the deal from the club's side if they pick up all the options...and they are club options, not any player options. That's a little more than 4 million a season, AND buying out all of his arbitration years and at least 2 free agent years. That's where a player really cashes in, and the club has to pay for "underpaying" a player for several seasons...this way, the club has little in the way of risk, and nothing but profit for almost a decade.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Option years cover last two arb years and one free agent year.
                    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Really? You think that 35 million over 8 years is a good deal for the player in this day and age? because that's the deal from the club's side if they pick up all the options...and they are club options, not any player options. That's a little more than 4 million a season, AND buying out all of his arbitration years and at least 2 free agent years. That's where a player really cashes in, and the club has to pay for "underpaying" a player for several seasons...this way, the club has little in the way of risk, and nothing but profit for almost a decade.
                      I think its a good deal for both sides. I misread your post and thought you were saying the first 5 years were terrible when they aren't at all. I think the Astros are only getting one free agent year right? He wont have enough service time after 5 seasons + 4 months to be a free agent.

And complaining that the MLBPA should do something about this is crazy. Singleton didnt have to sign this contract.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                        Option years cover last two arb years and one free agent year.
                        ha! I didnt see your post before submitting mine!

Comment

I think its a good deal for both sides. I misread your post and thought you were saying the first 5 years were terrible when they aren't at all. I think the Astros are only getting one free agent year right? He wont have enough service time after 5 seasons + 4 months to be a free agent.

And complaining that the MLBPA should do something about this is crazy. Singleton didnt have to sign this contract.
                          He's a (I believe) twice convicted drug offender, you don't think he is trying to protect himself from the inevitable third strike? I read an article in which he discussed how he just can't stay away from the S.H.I.T.

Comment

I didn't say that the MLBPA should do something about this particular case, I said that they should look at what the clubs are doing to these kids in the next bargaining session. And he's signing for far under his value if he achieves even part of what's projected for him. The MLB average salary for last year was 3.39 million...roughly what Singleton will make if all of the options are picked up. And do you think that Astros pick up those options if he's a bust? So he could be getting as little as 10 million over the 5 years that are guaranteed...and to earn that 35 million, he has to hit certain bonus escalators. And yes, I said the 1st 5 years are terrible for the player...great for the club.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

And yes, I said the 1st 5 years are terrible for the player...great for the club.
                              Can you back that up? If not for this contract he'd make the minimum from now through 2017 and then he'd get one arb year. I assume he'd need around 6 mil in that one arb year to make the 5 years = 10 mil.

Or he could be a bust and out of the majors in 4 years. Remember Brett Wallace? He was highly regarded, maybe not quite as high as Singleton was but I think maybe top 30 or 40 in his rookie year. Played for 4 years for the Astros and then was cut loose. Signed a minor league contract with Baltimore this past offseason.
                              Last edited by cardboardbox; 06-02-2014, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X