• Show
Clear All

• Ken
    replied
    Why didn’t you keep Yamamoto

Leave a comment:

• onejayhawk
    replied
    Unless something changes in the next five days, this is the keeper roster as it is in the format requested by the Commish.

In each case, the round indicates the cost of keeping the player, eg Jhoan Duran cost the pick in the 7th round. Since three keepers are mandatory (*), round 4 is the first round of the actual draft.

Bear in mind that this is 16 teams with OBA and holds.

Round 1*: Gerrit Cole NYY - SP (4)
    Round 2*: Ronald Acuña Jr. ATL - OF (4)
    Round 3*: Luis Robert Jr. CWS - OF (4)
    Round 4:
    Round 5:
    Round 6:
    Round 7: Jhoan Duran MIN - RP (7)
    Round 8:
    Round 9: Andrés Giménez CLE - 2B,SS (9)
    Round 10`: Gunnar Henderson BAL - 3B,SS (10)
    Round 11`: Gavin Williams CLE - SP (190)
    Round 12`: Logan O'Hoppe LAA - C (209)
    Round 13`: Elly De La Cruz CIN - 3B,SS (13)
    Round 14`: Dylan Cease CWS - SP (14)
    Round 15`:
    Round 16`:
    Round 17`:
    Round 18: Pete Crow-Armstrong CHC - OF (18)
    Round 19:
    Round 20: Brandon Pfaadt ARI - SP (20)
    Round 21:
    Round 22:
    Round 23: Jackson Merrill SD - SS (23)
    Round 24:
    Round 25:
    Round 26: Wyatt Langford TEX - OF (26)

Leave a comment:

• The Feral Slasher
    replied
    Originally posted by ThatRogue View Post
    Two quick questions:
    1. You said you use OBA which I interpret as OBP. If so, why do you care about Bohm or Schwarber’s AVG?

2. In an OBP league, why do you believe Schwarber will still be available with the 9th pick?

I think you might be higher on Bohm than his value warrants. I like Schwarber, Marte, Swanson & Happ ahead of him…and would probably take Teo, Mullins, Muncy & Hoskins before him too.

With all those options available, I’d probably keep Iglesias and draft a player better than Bohm with your first pick. I would not be surprised if Bohm is still available with your second and probably third pick (#41 overall), and if not, the 41st player on your list is Hoskins who should outperform Bohm.
    Some good points made here. I still am not sure Iglesias is a keeper, though that decision has apparently been made

Leave a comment:

• ThatRogue
    replied
    Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
    Yahoo's rankings. What can I say?

Any particular players/pitchers you would target?

As noted above, Swanson, Marte, Carter, Teo, and Mullins don't excite me. I own Mullins and I'm throwing him back in and someone like Ian Happ will likely be available for my next pick. A SP would help but Verlander seems pricey and Bassitt is meh.

In other news, I am talking myself into using the # 21 pick on Alec Bohm's option. His stock has been slowly rising, I need a 1B, and the plus BA makes drafting Schwarber doable. A cherry is that he attended my Alma Mater.
    Two quick questions:
    1. You said you use OBA which I interpret as OBP. If so, why do you care about Bohm or Schwarber’s AVG?

2. In an OBP league, why do you believe Schwarber will still be available with the 9th pick?

I think you might be higher on Bohm than his value warrants. I like Schwarber, Marte, Swanson & Happ ahead of him…and would probably take Teo, Mullins, Muncy & Hoskins before him too.

With all those options available, I’d probably keep Iglesias and draft a player better than Bohm with your first pick. I would not be surprised if Bohm is still available with your second and probably third pick (#41 overall), and if not, the 41st player on your list is Hoskins who should outperform Bohm.

Leave a comment:

• onejayhawk
    replied
    Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    So is there a holds category and one for saves, did not understand that comment....but it makes me question so many things, but mostly if u should keep Iglesias
    I have moved on from that.

The question now is whether to keep Alec Bohm in the 5th round. A round, either up or down, is decisive. He's on the cusp. He's also missing from the list, falling between Ian Happ and Max Muncy.

Update: Fixed the list. Yamamoto out, Bohm in.

After due consideration, I will not keep either Iglesias or Bohm. They are close to their real value which means there is a real chance that they are still on the board when I pick.
    Last edited by onejayhawk; 01-27-2024, 12:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• The Feral Slasher
    replied
    So is there a holds category and one for saves, did not understand that comment....but it makes me question so many things, but mostly if u should keep Iglesias

Leave a comment:

• onejayhawk
    replied

Trying to understand the rules gives me a headache...so if you want to keep your first round pick from this year, what does it cost you ? Trying to gauge how much you should value long term vs short term value in your picks.
    The easiest way to understand is to consider the three required keepers to be your first three picks. There is one optional unrestricted keeper but it costs your fourth-round pick. Those who do not use the optional keeper draft instead. Hence, round four is the first round of the draft and over 80 of the top 100 players are already out of the pool.

After that are 21 option rounds that increase at four rounds per year. If in 2023 a player was drafted or kept, say, round nine would be optioned for a 5th-round pick. That's the case with my team and Bohm. The next wrinkle is that players acquired off waivers fit into the first available pick of rounds 10 - 17. In my case, Gunnar Henderson was obtained off WW in July of 2022. He lotted into round 14 last year and is now optioned in round 10. Next year his option will be in round 6. After Gunnar will be my two WW pick-ups of last season, Gavin Williams and Logan O'Hoppe. In rounds 13 and 14 we get two more optioned players, Elly de la Cruz and Dylan Cease. Had I a third WW pick that I felt was worth the cost, he would slot into round 15 but I choose to retain the pick. My other options are in rounds 18, 20, 24, and 26. Check the OP for names.

Three mandatory keepers have dynasty values or are close to them. The next several rounds, say 5 - 15, are redraft values. Thereafter, dynasty values take over. Because waiver pickups slot to the lowest available round, it is not unusual to cover 4 rounds with 20 new picks. In my case, rounds 10 - 14 are booked. Rounds 15 - 17 will likely have 7 - 10 players picking. After round 20, the remaining options are few and far. That's why having Yamamoto, Langford, and Christian Encarnacion-Strand all in round 26 is so unique. We would also have had Outman as well, but someone gave up on him to soon.

The OP has all the option rounds listed after the player's name. The whole thing is very complex but I hope this helps.

Leave a comment:

• The Feral Slasher
    replied
    Originally posted by heyelander View Post

Still not showing up on the trending column. more work to do.
    now we're trending !

Leave a comment:

• The Feral Slasher
    replied

As noted above, Swanson, Marte, Carter, Teo, and Mullins don't excite me. I own Mullins and I'm throwing him back in and someone like Ian Happ will likely be available for my next pick. A SP would help but Verlander seems pricey and Bassitt is meh.

In other news, I am talking myself into using the # 21 pick on Alec Bohm's option. His stock has been slowly rising, I need a 1B, and the plus BA makes drafting Schwarber doable. A cherry is that he attended my Alma Mater.
    Trying to understand the rules gives me a headache...so if you want to keep your first round pick from this year, what does it cost you ? Trying to gauge how much you should value long term vs short term value in your picks.

Leave a comment:

• heyelander
    replied

you're not wrong. but this thread has never been more popular. We can really get this turned around, make it a real winner !
    Still not showing up on the trending column. more work to do.

Leave a comment:

• The Feral Slasher
    replied
    Originally posted by heyelander View Post

i figured you were just being a dick.
    you're not wrong. but this thread has never been more popular. We can really get this turned around, make it a real winner !

Leave a comment:

• heyelander
    replied

I was just bumping your thread to get you more views, ha ha. I haven't done any baseball research yet, so I can't really help.
    i figured you were just being a dick.

Leave a comment:

• The Feral Slasher
    replied

I was just bumping your thread to get you more views, ha ha. I haven't done any baseball research yet, so I can't really help.

Leave a comment:

• onejayhawk
    replied

Yes...

Leave a comment:

• The Feral Slasher
    replied
    Time is getting close for keeper designations. Three are no-brainers--Acuna, Cole, and Robert--but the 4th is on the fence. Raisel Iglesias seemingly falls exactly where pick would be (9th) if I released him. My initial thought is to take the bird in hand but the pool is think with closers in that range.

These rankings are based on anticipated drops and ranked by Yahoo preseason numbers. Schwarber could work if he falls but I have a C and two 3B. Dansby, Marte, and Carter don't thrill me, but it's one of them or a second closer. After that, I pick about 21, and 31.

Update: Ignore Yamamoto. He's an off-books keeper like Langford.

Do any of the pre-draft ranks seem particularly off?

1 31 Jose Altuve
    2 47 Devin Williams
    3 51

Yamamoto
    4 53 Manny Machado
    5 68 Edwin Diaz
    6 69 Kyle Schwarber
    7 71 J.T. Realmuto
    8 75 Camilo Doval
    9 81 Will Smith
    10 85 Raisel Iglesias
    11 102 Dansby Swanson