2k13: New York Yankees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
    I do not understand why this move wasn't made last month. Ryan could have been had at any point.
    The Yankees did not want their fans to get queasy having to watch Ryan bat.
    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

Comment

• Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
      The Yankees did not want their fans to get queasy having to watch Ryan bat.
      They probably won't spend much time watching it now. I expect Nunez will continue to start but his defense is, um, inconsistent, so Ryan will probably be his late-inning replacement.

Romine probably has a concussion. The Yankees are down to JR Murphy at catcher.

Robertson and Logan are both having arm troubles, neither reported to be serious, but Logan is out indefinitely and D-Rob is hoping to pitch in the next few days.

Comment

• Here's something totally unexpected. From Rotoworld--

"Yankees placed SS Derek Jeter on the 15-day disabled list with a left ankle injury.
        Jeter is still battling soreness in his surgically-repaired left ankle and has now been shut down for the remainder of 2013. The veteran shortstop appeared in only 17 games this year for New York. Brendan Ryan will get the majority of starts at short down the stretch."

Teams usually use the 15-day DL in September only when they want to make a statement. In this case, it appears to be a statement to the fans and media, "NO, we will NOT use him again this year, so STOP ASKING."

I've made a ton of mistakes managing my teams this year. One I almost made but backed away from (back in June) was making an offer for Jeter.

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
        -- William James

Comment

• What are the chances ARod sees these days as his last on a MLB field, he knows there's no way he'll avoid being suspended for all of next season, and what are the chances he'll have any ability after that, so he's juicing like a madman for one last hurrah? Pretty much nothing to lose at this point.
          Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

• you'd have to figure MLB is testing him multiple times at this point. That said, I'd be juicing in the dugout if I were him

Comment

• Originally posted by TopChuckie View Post
              What are the chances ARod sees these days as his last on a MLB field, he knows there's no way he'll avoid being suspended for all of next season, and what are the chances he'll have any ability after that, so he's juicing like a madman for one last hurrah? Pretty much nothing to lose at this point.
              Too much at stake. If he fails a test now he's banned for life and an arbitrator will uphold that. If that happens there's a much stronger chance the Yanks can wriggle out of his contract. No matter how much of his suspension he serves, he's getting paid when the suspension is over, so why risk that?

Comment

• Originally posted by TopChuckie View Post
                What are the chances ARod sees these days as his last on a MLB field, he knows there's no way he'll avoid being suspended for all of next season, and what are the chances he'll have any ability after that, so he's juicing like a madman for one last hurrah? Pretty much nothing to lose at this point.
                Zero chance of that happening...I'm guessing that he get about 100 games as a suspension and he'll have 4+ years on his contract to collect after that point. As far as ability goes, he's showing plenty of it right now, hitting with power, stealing bags, hitting for average. I see no reason why he'd fall off a cliff next year.
                "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                  Zero chance of that happening...I'm guessing that he get about 100 games as a suspension and he'll have 4+ years on his contract to collect after that point. As far as ability goes, he's showing plenty of it right now, hitting with power, stealing bags, hitting for average. I see no reason why he'd fall off a cliff next year.
                  Sure he could fall off a cliff next year. At this point, you have to figure that he's not clean, just not yet caught for whatever he's taking currently.

-- William James

Comment

Sure he could fall off a cliff next year. At this point, you have to figure that he's not clean, just not yet caught for whatever he's taking currently.
                    Gradual decline, sure, but not off the cliff. And what makes you think that MLB is EVER going to catch one of the starts actually juicing? The users are so far ahead of the testers it's not even close...

And why can't he be clean now? He's finally healthy after several seasons of being anywhere from nicked up to seriously injured. It's not like the guys did everything because of the PED's...he's like Bonds, a hell of a player before he discovered the juice.
                    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                    -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Brett Gardner: strained oblique, likely done for the year.

Comment

• The Yankees are like the Monty Python knight in armor - "It's just a flesh wound!"
                        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                          The Yankees are like the Monty Python knight in armor - "It's just a flesh wound!"
                          I was thinking Weekend at Bernie's... The right fielder is always right beside the center fielder for some reason

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                            Gradual decline, sure, but not off the cliff. And what makes you think that MLB is EVER going to catch one of the starts actually juicing? The users are so far ahead of the testers it's not even close...

And why can't he be clean now? He's finally healthy after several seasons of being anywhere from nicked up to seriously injured. It's not like the guys did everything because of the PED's...he's like Bonds, a hell of a player before he discovered the juice.
                            I think MLB will catch these guys for the same reason as they caught the Biogenesis gang--they got cocky and didn't cover their tracks. People who get away with wrongdoing for a long time invariably get overconfident and think they can get away with anything, and that's when they get sloppy and get caught.

-- William James

Comment

I think MLB will catch these guys for the same reason as they caught the Biogenesis gang--they got cocky and didn't cover their tracks. People who get away with wrongdoing for a long time invariably get overconfident and think they can get away with anything, and that's when they get sloppy and get caught.
                              So your point is that A-Rod will be brash because he has gotten away with it but your forgetting one thing... He hasn't gotten away with it. In case you missed it he was just levied a 233 Gabe suspension. If he is juicing he's taking some extraordinary precautions to protect his outrageous income stream... Frankly I think he's probably not

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                                Brett Gardner: strained oblique, likely done for the year.
                                Robertson looks like crap since coming back from his shoulder. Logan is still having discomfort in his elbow and might not be back all year. The bullpen is a much bigger issue than the outfield. They are completely out of gas. But yeah, even as they're winning the Yankees are coming apart at the seams.

Comment

Working...
                                X