2k13: New York Yankees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bodhizefa View Post
    Isn't $13 million for two years what Russell Martin wanted but the Yanks wouldn't give him? If so... wow.
    That was before all the injuries so you can't really compare the two.
    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

I certainly don't like the move, I'd like to see youngsters (Mustelier, Mesa, Almonte, Neal, etc.) get a shot for a month or so until Granderson gets back and see if one of them runs with it the way Wang and Cano did when they were forced to play them due to injuries. However, supposedly they are paying all $13M in 2013 and will pay him nothing in 2014, unfortunately that's probably what he'll earn. The point being, this gives them a free OF for luxury tax purposes the year they intend to stay below $189M. I don't like that either, but when factoring that in, this whole thing make a little more sense.
      Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

Spending $13M to see if Wells is a better option than Boesch/Francisco/Rivera strikes me as hilariously dumb.
        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
          Spending $13M to see if Wells is a better option than Boesch/Francisco/Rivera strikes me as hilariously dumb.
          Especially when you consider that it should only be for a couple of months, max. And then you have a 13 million dollar reserve outfielder...
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

Again, I don't think it's as much about finding a better player, it's about getting a "free" OF in 2014.
            Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

What's smarter, spending $13M on an OF in 2013 in order to pay him nothing in 2014, or sticking with what you have in 2013 and getting a guy who makes the minimum or close to it in 2014? Answer is pretty clear to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                Especially when you consider that it should only be for a couple of months, max. And then you have a 13 million dollar reserve outfielder...
                Which is why I'm wondering why they're in panic mode. Will a Boesch/Francisco tandem not work for 6-8 weeks? I understand that issue is compounded when you have Rivera/Dan Johnson and Cervelli/Chris Stewart tandems, but is Vernon Wells even as good as Boesch? It's strange to see the Yankees just flip crap against the wall to see if something sticks.....

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                  It's strange to see the Yankees just flip crap against the wall to see if something sticks.....
                  Teams do that all the time. The difference here is that the Yankees are paying $13M to do it.

Comment

Teams do that all the time. The difference here is that the Yankees are paying $13M to do it.
                    The Yankees hardly ever do it.

Comment

I can only imagine the Yankees weren't happy with Francisco in camp. Yes, they have 4 lefty bats (Grandy, Gardner, Ichiro, Pronk), and having a usable righty is important. But isn't that what Francisco and/or Rivera are for? I also don't get what happens to Boesch now. I thought he would have been able to give them most of what Ibanez gave them last year.

Comment

Oh for the love of Pete.

@ZachMort
                        Something may be wrong with #yankees RHP Mark Montgomery; FB 85-87; slider just spinning. Have not heard good things from scouts.

Comment

Comment

What I don't like about this is that Wells is signed for 2014. As somebody mentioned above, Wells is a freebie in 2014. He will be starting in 2014 along with Gardner and Ichiro. Grandy is gone and they won't go out and get anybody to replace him.

Comment

I'd have just handed a job to one of the three young guys they have slated for AA this year and see if I catch lightning in a bottle. If one doesn't work out, call up the next one.

Comment

Wells should become a decent pick, especially in AL-only, after moving from a part-time role in Angels Stadium to a full-time role in Yankee Stadium. Even after Granderson returns I see him in the lineup everyday rather than Travis Hafner.

Comment

Working...
                                X