2k13: New York Yankees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2k13: New York Yankees

-Rafael Soriano is opting out (could always be re-signed)
    -Mariano Rivera will be back in the closer's role (presumable, but not confirmed... he isn't under contract AFAIK)
    -Michael Pineda's rehab is going slower than expected, and his ETA is now June
    -CC Sabathia headed to see Dr. Andrews, presumably for bone chips and a full recovery by the start of ST (fingers crossed)
    -Derek Jeter had surgery on his fractured ankle, with a recovery time of 3-5 months. Unlikely to be ready at the start of ST, questionable for the start of the season.

-Ichiro, Ibanez, Andruw, Chavez, Swish and Kuroda are all free agents
    -Granderson heading into his walk year
    -Cano heading into his walk year

What a mess.

and a cool $28 million for a-rod as he continues his decline into replacement level suckitude.
    ~ all in all is all we are ~

kc

Comment

Originally posted by Cobain's Ghost View Post
      and a cool $28 million for a-rod as he continues his decline into replacement level suckitude.
      We all called this one. It wasn't exactly the hardest prediction to make when the Yankees signed him to that new contract. Even the most ardent Yankee fans here knew it would come to this in the last half of his deal.

You wanted him, Yankees, you got him. Now try to figure out what to do with him, assuming there isn't a greater fool out there to take him and his contract.
      Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
      -- William James

Comment

no catchy title? Like Arod's favorite word, boooooooooo.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
          assuming there isn't a greater fool out there to take him and his contract.
          And even if there is, A-Rod has shown no inclination that he'd waive his NTC.
          Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
          We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Yankees are rumored to be in on Torii Hunter.

In more concrete news:

The New York Yankees are likely to make a qualifying offer to retain Rafael Soriano for 2013.

The New York Yankees likely will make a qualifying offer to retain Rafael Soriano for 2013, but the prospects of a long-term deal for the right-handed reliever who filled in admirably for the injured closer Mariano Rivera last season are remote if Rivera decides to play next season.

"I'd be interested in talking to anyone who can help us, and we know he can help us," Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said Thursday.

But Cashman also said the Yankees would not offer Soriano a deal remotely like the one he signed before the 2011 season -- three years, $35 million with opt-out clauses after each of the first two seasons, the second of which Soriano exercised Wednesday -- if the 43-year-old Rivera chooses to pitch next season.

Comment

From Rotoworld--

"Bob Nightengale of USA Today was told by a Yankees official that not one team has called the club to inquire about Alex Rodriguez.
              There was plenty of speculation about A-Rod's future with the Yankees after he was benched during the postseason, but it's difficult to trade someone if nobody calls. Likewise, Nightengale was told that there's not one team for which Rodriguez is willing to waive his full no-trade clause. Things could change at any moment, but it appears both sides will have to make the best out of the situation for now. Rodriguez, 37, is owed $114 million over the next five seasons."

How about A-Rod and the proverbial sh**load of cash (or even a sh**load and a half) to the Angels for Vernon Wells (owed $42 million over the next two years and alsowith a NTC)?

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
              -- William James

Comment

Rivera confirmed to Cashman that he'll be back.

It would be pretty funny if Soriano accepted the Yankees' qualifying offer. Other than the Yankees I am not sure I see too many teams giving him a 3/30 deal, maybe 1 year/13mil isn't so bad.

Comment

There is some bright side to the Yankees if you look beyond the overpaid and overhyped:
                  Eduardo Nunez - under team control through 2016
                  David Roberston - under team control through 2014
                  Brett Gardner - under team control through 2014
                  Ivan Nova - under team control through 2016
                  Phil Hughes, Boone Logan and Joba are all in their final year of arbitration - given their 2012 performances, they won't cost the Yankees much to keep
                  "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
                  "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

whew, thank god you're coming back, but about that salary.....

According to Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com, the Yankees are expected to ask Mariano Rivera to take a "significant paycut" as part of a new contract.
                    Rivera made $15 million this season, but estimates for a new offer are closer to a $10 million base salary which would likely include incentives to boost his pay. The thought is that the Yankees have leverage, as the 42-year-old right-hander is coming off knee surgery and won't pitch anywhere else.
                    Source: CBSSports.com Nov 7 - 2:24 PM

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                      whew, thank god you're coming back, but about that salary.....

According to Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com, the Yankees are expected to ask Mariano Rivera to take a "significant paycut" as part of a new contract.
                      Rivera made $15 million this season, but estimates for a new offer are closer to a $10 million base salary which would likely include incentives to boost his pay. The thought is that the Yankees have leverage, as the 42-year-old right-hander is coming off knee surgery and won't pitch anywhere else.
                      Source: CBSSports.com Nov 7 - 2:24 PM
                      Cold-blooded on the part of the Yankees. They gave Jeter all that money, then want to cut Rivera's pay despite the fact that there had been little decline in his effectiveness.

I wouldn't blame Rivera a bit if he said, "If that's all the regard you have for me, I'll just call it quits now."

-- William James

Comment

Pettitte also a dicey issue.

Still, Jeter took a HUGE paycut from what he expected to make in this new contract - probably more than either Mariano or Pettitte will settle for off their best-case scenario, in their minds, if they return. Jeter is still overpaid even with this revival, but he wanted goofy money and didn't get it...
                        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

It's not his fault, but Rivera just got $15M for doing basically nothing this season. A $10M deal with incentives to get it back to the $15M based on games finished should not rub Mariano the wrong way at all. It's doesn't say we don't think you are as good anymore, it says you are getting older, we don't know how you'll bounce back, and we can't just throw another $15M down the drain if you breakdown, BUT we appreciate you enough to be willing to still throw $10M down the drain if you breakdown, more than most any other closer is getting in their physical prime.
                          Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

I have to admit I've never seen the Yanks quite as inert as this. If they really are trying to get under $189m, that's a payroll they haven't had in 6 seasons, and they also are on the books for $9m to AJ Burnett.

It seems like long gone are the days of free agents playing the Yanks against other teams in order to raise their value.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                              I have to admit I've never seen the Yanks quite as inert as this. If they really are trying to get under $189m, that's a payroll they haven't had in 6 seasons, and they also are on the books for $9m to AJ Burnett.

It seems like long gone are the days of free agents playing the Yanks against other teams in order to raise their value.
                              I think that's part of their motivation, not that they don't want to force other teams to over pay, but that they want to eliminate the "Yankee premium". Agent: "We know the Yanks want you and they can afford to, and will, pay whatever to make it happen, so we'll make them overpay." Now the Yanks are trying to set the precedent that they may want a player, but they are willing to pass if the asking price is out of line. They are just trying to bring themselves back to the pack as far as agent expectations go.

That plus all the money they will save, and profit they'll make, by resetting the luxury tax. Unfortunately, I don't think this is just for 2014. I think they will carry this more conservative spending philosophy forward, unless of course the winning dwindles, taking some of the revenue with it.
                              Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

Working...
                              X