2k13: New York Yankees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
    Jeter being examined for another possible "strained" something-or-other. Shocking!
    I feel badly for him. Despite all the overblown "intangibles" stuff, he's always played hard.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
      I feel badly for him. Despite all the overblown "intangibles" stuff, he's always played hard.
      No doubt about that. However, sometimes the spirit is willing but the flesh just isn't up to the drill. This just in from Rotoworld--

"Yankees placed SS Derek Jeter on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to August 3, with a right calf strain. An MRI on Sunday revealed a mild strain in Jeter's calf, so he'll now get some extended rest. It's been a frustrating year for the 39-year-old shortstop, as he has been limited to just five games due to various injuries. Eduardo Nunez figures to see most of the playing time at shortstop during his absence."

Maybe his body is suggesting something to him. Starts with an R, then an E, then a T...
      Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
      -- William James

Comment

steroids ruined his body

Comment

• When is Andy Pettitte going to hang 'em up?

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
            When is Andy Pettitte going to hang 'em up?
            My guess is that this year is it, unless his off-season "workouts" (wink wink, nudge nudge) have him feeling otherwise.

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
            -- William James

Comment

Maybe his body is suggesting something to him. Starts with an R, then an E, then a T...
              You got the first 2 letters right. However, the word you need is REHAB. The Yankees only let him play 2 games in the minors and then rushed him back. Then they rushed him back again.

Comment

• Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                You got the first 2 letters right. However, the word you need is REHAB. The Yankees only let him play 2 games in the minors and then rushed him back. Then they rushed him back again.
                That could be, but it could also be that Jeter did the rushing, not the Yankees. I can't imagine some front office suit telling Captain Intangibles what to do and making it stick.

-- William James

Comment

• Jeter is #1 among active players in games played, ab and hits. He's merited the say on what he thinks is the best way to stay on the field.
                  people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

That could be, but it could also be that Jeter did the rushing, not the Yankees. I can't imagine some front office suit telling Captain Intangibles what to do and making it stick.
                    They rushed him back and so much so that they told him to only run at 80% on the base paths. Of course him being the person he is he was completely on board coming back as soon as possible.
                    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
                      Jeter is #1 among active players in games played, ab and hits. He's merited the say on what he thinks is the best way to stay on the field.
                      While I think his view should definitely be respected, the Yankees are still the ones signing the paychecks. But I'm not sure either one of them has handled his situation very well so far.

Comment

While I think his view should definitely be respected, the Yankees are still the ones signing the paychecks. But I'm not sure either one of them has handled his situation very well so far.
                        That is apparent. The question is whether the front office is pressuring Jeter, Jeter is hedging his answers to them, Jeter is lying to himself, or his body is simply broken down to the point where he just can't get in adequate playing condition anymore.

Unlike the Rodriguez situation, I don't suspect that the player is in any way dogging it. I've never accused Jeter of not trying 100%.

And changing to another Yankee who hasn't played much, this from Rotoworld--

"Michael Pineda (shoulder) is going to be shut down for the next week to 10 days.
                        Pineda left a rehab start this weekend at Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre after experiencing renewed discomfort in his surgically-repaired shoulder. Tests taken Tuesday showed no structural damage, but the Yankees are going to continue to be careful with the right-hander. There's no timetable for his New York debut."

The news just doesn't get better for the Yankees, does it?

-- William James

Comment

• More fun in The Bronx. This from Rotoworld--

"ESPN New York reports Alex Rodriguez has been disciplined by the Yankees for seeking a second opinion on his quad injury in July.
                          The full details aren't yet available, but A-Rod will likely be fined for having his MRI examined by an independent doctor without notifying the Yankees. Francisco Cervelli has also been disciplined for failing to report to work prior to the announcement of his 50-game suspension."

Can a team fine a player who's on an unpaid suspension (Cervelli)?

And for those keeping score at home--Rodriguez, who's not in the lineup today, is 3-for-15 with 2 walks so far, 5 strikeouts, no runs, home runs, RBIs, or steals.

-- William James

Comment

• Comment

He may be high mileage, but he can still get the job done. If they can get the money end worked out, IMO this would be a nice pickup for the Yankees.
                              Alfonso is beyond en fuego now. And he just beat the tar out of one of the best pitchers in the AL tonight.

Comment

Alfonso is beyond en fuego now. And he just beat the tar out of one of the best pitchers in the AL tonight.
                                He is hot, but Weaver's command was completely off tonight. Killed me in a league. . Everyone was beating him up tonight---Soriano was just the biggest culprit because he's not missing mistakes right now.

Comment

Working...
                                X