2k13: New York Yankees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
    Still, those four are being paid $80-ish million dollars this year. That A-Rod deal is truly an albatross.
    The A-Rod deal is why Hank Steinbrenner is not involved in any of those decisions anymore.
    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal was told by an AL executive that the Yankees are "aggressively" pushing trades involving Joba Chamberlain and Phil Hughes.
      In fact, the same executive said that Chamberlain could soon be dealt to a National League team. Meanwhile, Rosenthal was told by another source that nothing is close with either player. Both Chamberlain and Hughes are slated to be free agents after the season. While it's a bit surprising to see a contending team dangle a starter in the trade market, Ivan Nova has pitched well of late and the Yankees have Michael Pineda waiting in the wings in the minors.
      Source: Ken Rosenthal on Twitter Jul 10 - 10:56 AM

Comment

• back to back WFAN callers today

first one wanted Mets to send Marlon Byrd to Yankees for Hughes
        admittedly Byrd would be the Yankees' cleanup hitter, but no explanation on why Mets would want another SP of all things they need, plus we all know how cheap they are

second one wants to send Joba to Phillies for CRuiz and MYoung
        says good for Phillies because they are in contention and those are expiring contracts
        ok, so is Joba, and why would Phillies deal two starting hitters if they are in contention.....

I love fans calling in trades to radio stations
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Sometimes I enjoy Cashman. Explaining activating Jeter for today, he decided it was better to let him sit around in the rain the Bronx rather than sit around in the rain in Scranton.

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
            Jeter activated today, pulls quad muscle, removed from game, MRI coming shortly. Sheesh, talk about snake bitten.
            Well, they rushed him back pretty unreasonably. I just expected him to suck for the first 3 weeks (though he will probably be fine against the awful Twins pitchers if he plays this weekend).

Comment

• It's pretty obvious that the Jeter activation was a publicity move, designed to take attention away from the All-Star Game at Citi Field. Nice to see the holy Yankees being so petty. And it worked out so well right off the bat.

BTW, whatever happened to that "Big Three" of Chamberlain, Hughes, and the almost-afterthought Ian Kennedy? How's that working out for the Yankees? Somehow, I'm reminded of "Generation K" cross-town years ago (Isringhausen, Wilson, and Pulsipher).

Last thought--Is this year the last one for Cashman with the Yankees? Between the albatross contracts, the age of the roster, the underperformance of the team, and the lack of real prospects in the minors, I have to think that the only thing keeping this guy in his job is incriminating evidence on Hank and Hal.
              Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
              -- William James

Comment

• Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
                Last thought--Is this year the last one for Cashman with the Yankees? Between the albatross contracts, the age of the roster, the underperformance of the team, and the lack of real prospects in the minors, I have to think that the only thing keeping this guy in his job is incriminating evidence on Hank and Hal.
                Wow, many would argue Cashman has done a fantastic job this year. I don't get your point here.

Comment

The Yankees have a .543 record and are 2.5 games out of the Wild Card despite season-long injuries to a litany of their powerhouse star players. They've been playing without Granderson, Teixeira, A-Rod, and Jeter and Andy Pettitte has greatly underperformed expectations, and yet the team keeps winning with a roster full of back-ups constructed by Cashman. Personally, I'd call this Cashman's most amazing season yet as a GM, at least thus far.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bodhizefa View Post
                    The Yankees have a .543 record and are 2.5 games out of the Wild Card despite season-long injuries to a litany of their powerhouse star players. They've been playing without Granderson, Teixeira, A-Rod, and Jeter and Andy Pettitte has greatly underperformed expectations, and yet the team keeps winning with a roster full of back-ups constructed by Cashman. Personally, I'd call this Cashman's most amazing season yet as a GM, at least thus far.
                    With most organizations, overcoming all those injuries and being in the hunt for a wild card spot would be the stuff of legend. However, as we all know, the Yankees are not just any organization. When you have and spend this much money, there are higher expectations.

It's not just what he's done, it's also what he's EXPECTED to do. And when you look at the 21st century Yankees, I can see a case for saying he's not met expectations.
                    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                    -- William James

Comment

With most organizations, overcoming all those injuries and being in the hunt for a wild card spot would be the stuff of legend. However, as we all know, the Yankees are not just any organization. When you have and spend this much money, there are higher expectations.

It's not just what he's done, it's also what he's EXPECTED to do. And when you look at the 21st century Yankees, I can see a case for saying he's not met expectations.
                      Totally agree with this ^^^. While it's admirable that they are still in the hunt with the slop they are putting on the field every day...With the amount of resources at their disposal, the fact that that is the slop they are putting out on the field is kind of pathetic. I'd argue that it's the players who have kept them in the hunt. Cashman put that team on the field despite nearly unlimited resources relative to other teams, so it's almost like good fortune for him that they are doing as well as they are. I hardly believe Cashman is some mad genius that saw THIS group of players being the team he expected to compete when no one else did. He kind of put himself in a position where this was the best lineup they could put on the field, and sometimes you just get sh!t lucky.

Comment

• Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal View Post
                        Totally agree with this ^^^. While it's admirable that they are still in the hunt with the slop they are putting on the field every day...With the amount of resources at their disposal, the fact that that is the slop they are putting out on the field is kind of pathetic. I'd argue that it's the players who have kept them in the hunt. Cashman put that team on the field despite nearly unlimited resources relative to other teams, so it's almost like good fortune for him that they are doing as well as they are. I hardly believe Cashman is some mad genius that saw THIS group of players being the team he expected to compete when no one else did. He kind of put himself in a position where this was the best lineup they could put on the field, and sometimes you just get sh!t lucky.
                        He has gotten lucky, but these are not the King George Yankees any longer. Cashman is under strict orders not to exceed the luxury tax cap of $189m for '14, and let's keep in mind their '13 payroll is still $229m, still easily the highest in the game. They still may take on expensive, expiring contracts, but I think all parties learned their lesson with long-term, humungous deals. The ARod and Tex deals are disasters, and it's looking like Sabathia's is also on that course.

If the Yanks stay fiscally sane and allow Cashman to run the team, he's on of the best GMs in the business.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                            If the Yanks stay fiscally sane and allow Cashman to run the team, he's on of the best GMs in the business.
                            OK...I guess I look at his performance and conclude he's easily in the bottom third. It's not like he's been restrained in building a minor league system, and the Yankees minor league development during his tenure is poor, IMO. He's hardly made any trades that I'd rate as brilliant. He has one home-grown major talent in Cano, and wasn't able to sign him to an extension. I realize it wouldn't be easy to get it done with Cano's previous agent, but he doesn't get the big bucks for nailing the easy ones.

If there's a management person who deserves real kudos for making this mess work, it's Girardi. I'm not a homer or hater, but I think Girardi has done just about everything right this year under truly difficult circumstances.
                            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roto Rooter View Post
                              Who's the guy in the picture?

Comment

• Does Michael Pineda have any chance at starting for the Yankees this year? I stashed him on my DL and now he is taking up a spot on my bench that i need. Sorry if this was already talked about. But, i didn't have time to review the previous 18 pages of this thread.
                                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                                X