2K14: Billy Hamilton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bweiser831 View Post
    Coleman missed time that season with an injury, making his record even more remarkable.
    "Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes." Oscar Wilde
    "The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others." Gandhi
    WRL (AL-only) Champion (league started in 1997) - 1997, '98, 2000, '03, '08, '15, '16, '17
    PVRL (NL-only) Champion (league started in 1986)- 1993, 2004, '05, '06, '10, '11, '14, '16, '17

Comment

Hamilton has a chance to lead TWO different leaues in SB in the same season.

He had 104 SB in the Cal League - Rico Noel has 82 SB as of today.
      He has 35 SB in the Southern League - Josh Prince has 41 in 119 games as of today.
      "Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes." Oscar Wilde
      "The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others." Gandhi
      WRL (AL-only) Champion (league started in 1997) - 1997, '98, 2000, '03, '08, '15, '16, '17
      PVRL (NL-only) Champion (league started in 1986)- 1993, 2004, '05, '06, '10, '11, '14, '16, '17

Comment

and he has the record!

Comment

1 for 2 with two walks, four steals, and an error on the catcher on a pickoff throw. Nice game.
          In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

I'm already in this thread that this was as great a "sell high" moment for a contending team in fantasy ball history - quite a while ago - so won't run away from it now.

Wish this guy or his owners no ill will, of course.
            But for fantasy baseball, still seems like a 1990s internet stock to me. Somebody in every league wanted to buy "the story." Would love to hear that somebody sold and cashed in with a 2012 pennant. Flags fly forever.

And yeah, if you prefer to ride the story even at risk, I salute you. Lots of ways to play this game. I'm just speaking to the pennant-minded crowd, and that is not everyone. It's just a game, so let your specific passions guide you.....
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
              I'm already in this thread that this was as great a "sell high" moment for a contending team in fantasy ball history - quite a while ago - so won't run away from it now.

But for fantasy baseball, still seems like a 1990s internet stock to me. Somebody in every league wanted to buy "the story." Would love to hear that somebody sold and cashed in with a 2012 pennant. Flags fly forever.

And yeah, if you prefer to ride the story even at risk, I salute you. Lots of ways to play this game. I'm just speaking to the pennant-minded crowd, and that is not everyone. It's just a game, so let your specific passions guide you.....
              I am doing both. I am out of it in the NL so I traded for a free Hamilton ($15 for 3 years when activated). I believe the hype is just beginning. In our league you cannot win with just a great team, you have to have trade bait for dump trades. Hamilton should get me some difference makers for next year (if needed). If I do not need them I will get a chance to see if Hamilton is the real deal.

Regarding specific passions; mine guided me to trade for a $51 Kemp.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post

Well not all Internet stock during the 90s went bust of course. The trick was knowing which of those were actually founded on something other than dreams.

I had a TON of cheap guys earlier in the year, for example like Harper and Hamilton. I believed their value to be more of the Amazon.com than the Pets.com variety. I could have sold and MAYBE won a title but there was/is no guarantee of that as well. I made some trades here and there that I thought would help me in the hunt. Given the RJEL dyanmics, I believe I still made the right play. If I stay 5th I'll have the number one pick, get to have an even better keeper list for next year having added a cheap Desmond, Reddick, Moreland, Wainright. Next may be an even better year to trade Harper and/or Hamilton.

So in the final analysis, it's not simply trading those guys, but knowing when to trade them.

Comment

"Next year may be an even better year to trade Harper and/or Hamilton."

Possibly. Harper, to me, has had a great age 19 MLB season. But the dreamers in a league may be a little rattled, as none of us get the 20-year career except dynasty leagues.
                  If Hamilton goes 2 for 22 in Sept with 2 SB and 3 CS, it doesn't really change his longterm outlook but I'll bet it changes his trade value a LOT.
                  finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                  own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                  won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                  RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                  C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                  1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                  OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

It never hurts to have the #1 prospect on rhd's list.

Comment

Say he is the starter next year (hypothetically) what would he go for in standard mixed leagues?
                      Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

Originally posted by DJBeasties View Post
                        Say he is the starter next year (hypothetically) what would he go for in standard mixed leagues?
                        Way more than he's worth.
                        I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                          Way more than he's worth.
                          Probably...unless he steals 100 bases.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                            Probably...unless he steals 100 bases.
                            I wouldn't bet on it. Pitchers and catchers are much better at holding runners on and throwing them out at the major league level. Do we really believe that he's that much faster than guys like Ellsbury, Gordon, Bourn?

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                              I wouldn't bet on it. Pitchers and catchers are much better at holding runners on and throwing them out at the major league level. Do we really believe that he's that much faster than guys like Ellsbury, Gordon, Bourn?
                              Yes, yes we do (all of us who own him). Much much faster than anyone who has ever played the game. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                                Yes, yes we do (all of us who own him). Much much faster than anyone who has ever played the game. Yeah, that's the ticket.
                                Whatever helps you sleep at night. He could be faster, I'm not sure, I don't know where to find that sort of info. His success rate in A+ was 83% and it dropped to 77% in AA. If his goes down further as he goes up to AAA or even the majors it won't be worth it for him to steal. Isn't the threshold for giving players the green light 75%? Rule of thumb, of course, I know every team is different.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Working...
                                X