Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RHD's Latest Top 150 Roto Prospects ("MLB Draft Day" Edition)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey guys, what do you see as these prospects' ETAs?

I've got a pretty good set of prospects in my 12-team NL-only but we only get 1 free keeper so any of these other guys would have to be kept as major leaguers which would only be a viable option for someone close to the majors.

Corey Seager - whether he gets called up this year or not, he seems like a lock to be the starting SS out of the gate next year
    Jon Gray - should get the call soon and stay in the rotation going into next year
    Jose De Leon - trade bait? Let's say he gets traded to the Reds in a Cueto deal - would he get a chance this year? Spring of next year? Hard to gauge what the Dodgers would do if they held onto him.
    Brandon Drury - already got the bump to AAA and playing a decent amount of 2B, could he get the call next year, moving Owings to a utility role?
    Brandon Nimmo - not really setting the world on fire, but neither are the Mets' current outfielders; could he and Conforto supplant Cuddyer and Grandy sooner rather than later?
    Raimel Tapia - probably looking at 2017 at the earliest so is he the type of talent who's worth the wait?
    Michael Reed - not exactly a top prospect, but having a very solid year and his steals would help his fantasy relevance; could he be an option if the Brewers get crazy and trade both Parra AND CarGo?

Comment

Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
      Hey guys, what do you see as these prospects' ETAs?

I've got a pretty good set of prospects in my 12-team NL-only but we only get 1 free keeper so any of these other guys would have to be kept as major leaguers which would only be a viable option for someone close to the majors.

Corey Seager - whether he gets called up this year or not, he seems like a lock to be the starting SS out of the gate next year
      Jon Gray - should get the call soon and stay in the rotation going into next year
      Jose De Leon - trade bait? Let's say he gets traded to the Reds in a Cueto deal - would he get a chance this year? Spring of next year? Hard to gauge what the Dodgers would do if they held onto him.
      Brandon Drury - already got the bump to AAA and playing a decent amount of 2B, could he get the call next year, moving Owings to a utility role?
      Brandon Nimmo - not really setting the world on fire, but neither are the Mets' current outfielders; could he and Conforto supplant Cuddyer and Grandy sooner rather than later?
      Raimel Tapia - probably looking at 2017 at the earliest so is he the type of talent who's worth the wait?
      Michael Reed - not exactly a top prospect, but having a very solid year and his steals would help his fantasy relevance; could he be an option if the Brewers get crazy and trade both Parra AND CarGo?
      IMHO, Seager, Nimmo and De Leon are no-brainers to keep as MLBers. And Tapia seems like the obvious guy to keep as a minor-leaguer, since he's the farthest away from MLB, the youngest and perhaps the best prospect of the rest other than Gray. Gray is a guy most probably would keep as a MLBer, altho I don't think that I would. People are starting to think he's not the TOR guy they once thought he was. He is close to MLB but if he's not a #1/2 starter then I dont like him for roto pitching half of his games at Coors. Drury is the only one of these on the 40-man roster already and he is close to ready. But Ariz already has a glut of MI's and I'm not sure Drury is good enough to force his way into playing time. Reed's stock is rising, but I dont think he gets significant MLB playing time in 2016. Brewers also have Coulter as an OF prospect who's probably closer to MLB and also have Tyrone Taylor. If it were me, I'd keep the 3 no-brainers, keep Tapia as my prospect and let the rest go but you may want to keep Gray, too.

Comment

re Nimmo, Cuddyer is signed through next year and Granderson through 2017, so although the Mets certainly shouldn't let that block the rookies, it probably will block at least one of them.
        In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Thanks guys. With the trade deadline looming I'm trying to make sure I don't hoard too many youngsters only to find out I can't keep them all anyway. I know one of the potential dumpers likes Gray so hopefully he's a useful trade chip.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
            re Nimmo, Cuddyer is signed through next year and Granderson through 2017, so although the Mets certainly shouldn't let that block the rookies, it probably will block at least one of them.
            Yeah, I guess you're right. Nimmo is not a no-brainer. Usually these positional issues work themselves out but it's unclear when Nimmo gets regular playing time, particularly since he's also competing w Conforto. What is the price tag for these guys as MLB keepers? If you can keep Nimmo for a buck or so, it might be worth a shot to keep him, since he may produce more as a part-timer than a $1 player taken in the draft, plus you have his upside to boot.

Comment

All of the guys listed are $5 except Nimmo at $1 and Drury/Gray at $3 apiece.

I can't remember our exact rule but you can't have more than 4 minor leaguers by the end of the auction so you have to choose wisely. I assume Seager and Gray will already be major leaguers and Drury has about a 50/50 chance at this point but the rest of the situations I'm a little murkier on.

Edit: Tapia is $3 as well so the only $5 guys are Seager, De Leon, and Reed
              Last edited by overkill94; 07-08-2015, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rhd View Post
                Yeah, I guess you're right. Nimmo is not a no-brainer. Usually these positional issues work themselves out but it's unclear when Nimmo gets regular playing time, particularly since he's also competing w Conforto. What is the price tag for these guys as MLB keepers? If you can keep Nimmo for a buck or so, it might be worth a shot to keep him, since he may produce more as a part-timer than a $1 player taken in the draft, plus you have his upside to boot.
                Nimmo's upside is really good...he's from Wyoming, where he didn't even play play HS baseball (not offered in Wyoming). He seems to take a while to adapt to each level, but then he finds himself and really performs well. He's a true Centerfielder who could replace Legares sooner rather than later because of a really good eye. He's not sexy, but he has a chance to be a really good major league player. He's good, but not necessarily great, at everything....
                "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                -Warren Ellis

Comment

The Mets have been said to operating under the assumption of Conforto and Nimmo every day in 2017ish-2020. big assumption, but they won't trade for an OF bat for that reason.

and they won't trade for any bat because they are too cheap.
                  finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                  own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                  won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                  RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                  C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                  1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                  OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

We are allowed to demote minor leaguers who haven't exceeded rookie limits at the ASB. I'm looking to demote Daniel Norris and Steve Matz. I will also call up Wisler, so I need to make a cut to do these moves. Who would you cut from the following?:

Kyle Crick (has more walks than Ks this year)
                    Edwin Diaz (pitching well)
                    Kodi Meideiros (pitching well)
                    Alex Meyer (pitching poorly)
                    Justus Sheffield (pitching well)

Alternatively, I can cut Dilson Herrera from my majors, which amounts to the same thing for me--it frees up a bench spot. My league is 14 teams, but expanded starters, 30 man majors, 20 man minors. We have a $400 cap, and a called up players salary is $5 for the first two years, then he is due for extension.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                      We are allowed to demote minor leaguers who haven't exceeded rookie limits at the ASB. I'm looking to demote Daniel Norris and Steve Matz. I will also call up Wisler, so I need to make a cut to do these moves. Who would you cut from the following?:

Kyle Crick (has more walks than Ks this year)
                      Edwin Diaz (pitching well)
                      Kodi Meideiros (pitching well)
                      Alex Meyer (pitching poorly)
                      Justus Sheffield (pitching well)

Alternatively, I can cut Dilson Herrera from my majors, which amounts to the same thing for me--it frees up a bench spot. My league is 14 teams, but expanded starters, 30 man majors, 20 man minors. We have a $400 cap, and a called up players salary is $5 for the first two years, then he is due for extension.
                      I would cut Medeiros. Crick and Meyer are having poor seasons but they have too much talent and are too close to MLB to give up on. BA ranked Medeiros #11 in a poor Brewers system and his FB is just average. His results this year are encouraging and he's very young but he'd my pick to drop. Crick is another candidate to drop as most think he wont be a starter. But perhaps he could be a lights-out closer.

Comment

Originally posted by rhd View Post
                        I would cut Medeiros. Crick and Meyer are having poor seasons but they have too much talent and are too close to MLB to give up on. BA ranked Medeiros #11 in a poor Brewers system and his FB is just average. His results this year are encouraging and he's very young but he'd my pick to drop. Crick is another candidate to drop as most think he wont be a starter. But perhaps he could be a lights-out closer.
                        Thanks RHD. I forgot to mention Casey Meisner as a candidate. Would you cut him over Kodi?

Comment

looks like COL SP Jon Gray may be up this weekend

mainly a nice grab in bench leagues to see what he does

I have no such cushion with him, this month
                          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

rhd-

Any updated thoughts on A.J. Reed? I realize he's a bat-first 1B, who benefited from the friendly hitting confines of Lancaster (and the Cal League), but the production (both this season, and his past pro and amateur seasons) is still difficult to ignore. In addition, he was just promoted to AA Corpus Christi.

I realize there are some potential concerns, but it seems he's showing the ability to hit, hit with power, and has a good grasp of the strike zone. Seems to have some decent fantasy potential.

Just curious as to where you'd rank him at this time.

As always, thanks for your time and response.

-O

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                              Thanks RHD. I forgot to mention Casey Meisner as a candidate. Would you cut him over Kodi?
                              I have them ranked very close together on my list rt now. Meisner is a pop-up prospect who had little hype before this season. Medeiros was highly touted before the draft. They're both having very good seasons and they're both the same age. Meisner is more projectable at 6'7". It's a toss-up between them. Your choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Onions View Post
                                rhd-

Any updated thoughts on A.J. Reed? I realize he's a bat-first 1B, who benefited from the friendly hitting confines of Lancaster (and the Cal League), but the production (both this season, and his past pro and amateur seasons) is still difficult to ignore. In addition, he was just promoted to AA Corpus Christi.

I realize there are some potential concerns, but it seems he's showing the ability to hit, hit with power, and has a good grasp of the strike zone. Seems to have some decent fantasy potential.

Just curious as to where you'd rank him at this time.

As always, thanks for your time and response.

-O
                                Thanx as always for the response and the props, Onions.

I just recently added Reed to the list (#146). BA's report says he's pretty much limited to 1B and that power is his only plus tool. He'll have to hit his way to the majors and Houston already has a lot of 1B/DH types.

Comment

Working...
                                X