Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RHD's Latest Top 150 Roto Prospects ("MLB Draft Day" Edition)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deaccat View Post
    Why did Otani move up so high? Haven't heard news of impending transfer. Also did Despaigne reappear due to Ban from Mexico league alone or is there news of him coming over also?

Thanks as always
    Thanx for the response, deaccat.

I heard that Otani has an agreement w his Japan club that he can asked to be posted at any time. I also heard that he's always intended to spend a few years in Japan before coming over and while it's uncertain how long "a few" years is it sounds like he may be ready after about 5 years in, maybe even 4. This is his 3rd Japan season so I would expect him over after 2016 or 2017. He's doing great in Japan (1.66 ERA 88 K's in 70.7 IP) and may end up being as highly regarded as Darvish was. Where he is on the list is about where Darvish was shortly before he was posted, and a 2016-17 MLB appearance is soon enough for roto players to start grabbing him now. I've already grabbed him in the 1 keeper league I'm in where he is eligible. He also is a 2-way player, often playing the OF when he's not pitching. It will be very interesting whether or not his MLB club will let him continue to be a 2-way guy.

Despaigne moved back to about where he had been before because of increasing evidence that more and more Cuban players may be coming over. He was moved off the list when I found out that his family are Communist party members and thought to be unlikely to defect, and also because he started playing in Japan and thus was earning much more money than he was making in Cuba. Now, w the US trying to work towards lifting the economic embargo, and the recent decisions by the Cuban Gov't to let some players voluntarily leave Cuba to play in the US, like Moncada, it appears much more possible that even stars who were not thought to be candidates to come over may do so now. The recent events w the Gourriel brothers also are interesting re: this. The family of Yuniesky and Lourdes Gourriel also are Communist party members and thought to be very loyal to the Cuban gov't and not interested in coming over for that reason. They were 2 of the players being allowed to play in Japan, but this year they failed to report and their Japanese clubs have prevented them from playing at all this year, altho I think they both are still under contract. The reasons for their delinquency seem to be unclear, but one could speculate that this makes them more likely to come to the US, especially Lourdes who is still only 22 y/o. So for now, my perception is that it may be worth grabbing a guy like Despaigne who still is one of the very top players in Cuba and still in his prime at 29 y/o. I have him in one of my leagues.
    Last edited by rhd; 06-23-2015, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Rhd - I'm pretty sure the Otani early posting is urban legend. All info I have shows he could be posted in three years.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal View Post
        What's your take on D.J.Peterson's struggles so far this year?
        Thanx for the response, ChrisMal.

Kiley McDaniel mentioned him briefly on today's FG chat. He said that he may just be going thru a bad stretch and indicated that his perception of him hasnt changed too much. But he is really struggling and is a bit old for his league. So he remains on the list but he's not someone I feel confident in taking rt now.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
          RHD, what do you think of Ruddy Giron?
          Thanx for the response, Sour Masher.

Kiley McDaniel also mentioned Giron on the chat today. He said it's very good he's performing so well in full-season ball at such a young age but indicated that he's still relatively undeveloped. He's not too far off the list rt now and I probably wont move him on until I hear more good hype on him.

Comment

Originally posted by rhd View Post
            Thanx for the response, deaccat.

I heard that Otani has an agreement w his Japan club that he can asked to be posted at any time. I also heard that he's always intended to spend a few years in Japan before coming over and while it's uncertain how long "a few" years is it sounds like he may be ready after about 5 years in, maybe even 4. This is his 3rd Japan season so I would expect him over after 2016 or 2017. He's doing great in Japan (1.66 ERA 88 K's in 70.7 IP) and may end up being as highly regarded as Darvish was. Where he is on the list is about where Darvish was shortly before he was posted, and a 2016-17 MLB appearance is soon enough for roto players to start grabbing him now. I've already grabbed him in the 1 keeper league I'm in where he is eligible. He also is a 2-way player, often playing the OF when he's not pitching. It will be very interesting whether or not his MLB club will let him continue to be a 2-way guy.

Despaigne moved back to about where he had been before because of increasing evidence that more and more Cuban players may be coming over. He was moved off the list when I found out that his family are Communist party members and thought to be unlikely to defect, and also because he started playing in Japan and thus was earning much more money than he was making in Cuba. Now, w the US trying to work towards lifting the economic embargo, and the recent decisions by the Cuban Gov't to let some players voluntarily leave Cuba to play in the US, like Moncada, it appears much more possible that even stars who were not thought to be candidates to come over may do so now. The recent events w the Gourriel brothers also are interesting re: this. The family of Yuniesky and Lourdes Gourriel also are Communist party members and thought to be very loyal to the Cuban gov't and not interested in coming over for that reason. They were 2 of the players being allowed to play in Japan, but this year they failed to report and their Japanese clubs have prevented them from playing at all this year, altho I think they both are still under contract. The reasons for their delinquency seem to be unclear, but one could speculate that this makes them more likely to come to the US, especially Lourdes who is still only 22 y/o. So for now, my perception is that it may be worth grabbing a guy like Despaigne who still is one of the very top players in Cuba and still in his prime at 29 y/o. I have him in one of my leagues.
            Thanks RHd, good news. I have both of them. Let us know of any other potential international transfers you know of that would be become good prospects when you can.

Comment

I see JP Crawford has been tabbed for the futures game. What's his time line looking like? Will he see AAA this year or coffee in September? Is there any chance he's up much in 2016?

J
              Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                I see JP Crawford has been tabbed for the futures game. What's his time line looking like? Will he see AAA this year or coffee in September? Is there any chance he's up much in 2016?

J
                Thanx for another response, J.

Since they're rebuilding I wouldnt expect to see him get regular time in MLB until sometime in 2016. And maybe close to a full year in AA would be good for him. He'll get a callup in Sept. If he keeps progressing the way he has, I would expect you'd see him manning SS in Phllly around this time next year.

Comment

Need some help for my upcoming farm draft, during all star break. League is a new startup, 16 tm mixed, 5x5, 260 budget, 5 bench, 8 farm, so relatively shallow. Any farm player that has touched majors has been faabed, so those guys wont be eligible for farm draft, and newbies that officially havent been signed by big club are also out, also no college or foreign players (unless already signed by big club obv) in pool. Makes for a substantially less exciting farm pool, eh? In this scenario, I have the # 2, 9, 10 picks in 1st rd, so I can use an updated top 10. Farm players when called up are $5 for 1st couple years when called up, then option of adding +$5 per a year, pretty standard.

Going strictly by rhd last list, top 11 for farm draft would be C Seager, Moncado, Olivera, Urias, Giolito, JP Crawford, Peraza, Glasnow, Margot, Barreto, B Zimmer. (Stop yawning! Gems I tell you!) Any names I should add, remove, or change order?

Comment

Originally posted by gcstomp View Post
                    Need some help for my upcoming farm draft, during all star break. League is a new startup, 16 tm mixed, 5x5, 260 budget, 5 bench, 8 farm, so relatively shallow. Any farm player that has touched majors has been faabed, so those guys wont be eligible for farm draft, and newbies that officially havent been signed by big club are also out, also no college or foreign players (unless already signed by big club obv) in pool. Makes for a substantially less exciting farm pool, eh? In this scenario, I have the # 2, 9, 10 picks in 1st rd, so I can use an updated top 10. Farm players when called up are $5 for 1st couple years when called up, then option of adding +$5 per a year, pretty standard.

Going strictly by rhd last list, top 11 for farm draft would be C Seager, Moncado, Olivera, Urias, Giolito, JP Crawford, Peraza, Glasnow, Margot, Barreto, B Zimmer. (Stop yawning! Gems I tell you!) Any names I should add, remove, or change order?
                    Well, A Bregman and B Rodgers have signed now so they should be eligible. And A Reyes, J Berrios and L Severino have moved up ahead of Zimmer. And F Barreto is now low man among those you listed and N Mazara, T Turner, O Arcia, and M Conforto are above him. My top 10 now that would be eligible for your draft now are, in order, Seager, Olivera, Urias, Giolito, Moncada, JP Crawford, Peraza, Glasnow, Reyes, Bregman.

Comment

Awesome, much thanks!

Comment

Well, A Bregman and B Rodgers have signed now so they should be eligible. And A Reyes, J Berrios and L Severino have moved up ahead of Zimmer. And F Barreto is now low man among those you listed and N Mazara, T Turner, O Arcia, and M Conforto are above him. My top 10 now that would be eligible for your draft now are, in order, Seager, Olivera, Urias, Giolito, Moncada, JP Crawford, Peraza, Glasnow, Reyes, Bregman.
                        Have Judge or Nola move up at all if you updated your list ? Thanks !
                        ---------------------------------------------
                        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                          Have Judge or Nola move up at all if you updated your list ? Thanks !
                          Thanx for the response, Feral Slasher.

They havent really moved relative to the remaining players on the list but have percolated up some because of attrition. I still project them about the same now as I did before. Currently, Nola is #38 and Judge is #66. Nola probably will move up when he is called up, which I would expect to be sometime in Aug. I dont see Judge getting called up before Sept.

Comment

Thanx for the response, Feral Slasher.

They havent really moved relative to the remaining players on the list but have percolated up some because of attrition. I still project them about the same now as I did before. Currently, Nola is #38 and Judge is #66. Nola probably will move up when he is called up, which I would expect to be sometime in Aug. I dont see Judge getting called up before Sept.
                            thanks, you have a great list and it is an excellent source of info
                            Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                              thanks, you have a great list and it is an excellent source of info
                              Thanx, FS!

Comment

The Pirates' Jameson Taillon is done for this season. He is having hernia surgery next week and will miss two months.

There could be a small window of opportunity for top prospect Tyler Glasnow in September if he can get back to where he was before a sprained ankle sidelined him for more than a month. He is currently getting stretched out in rehab starts. The last two in particular have looked like the Tyler of old with 0 earned runs on 3 hits in 7.2 ip along with an 11/3 k/bb ratio.
                                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                                X